mtbr member

Loose water bottle cage rivet, need help

The top rivet on my Moment has come loose. I was able to remove the bolt, but I would like to be able to use the mount for a water bottle or a light battery. I have been putting this off for about a year, however now the some snow has come and I will probably be off my mountain bike for a while. I was wondering if anyone knew a shop locally that could replace it for me. I live in fort collins and will gladly drive as far as denver. I asked dave at redstone already but I haven't written Mountain High. Anyways just wondering if anyone knows a good shop that would have the tool. I would like to send it back to ellsworth and make them fix it but figure I can fix it at a shop for less then the shipping to cali.
    Thanks for your help
    Ben
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

Thread Terrorist
    Try the guys at Mojo. Seriously, they have all kinds of tricks up their sleeves.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    JB Weld.

mtbr member
    Before you have anyone work on it, check out the terms of your warranty. Having someone else working on your frame may actually nullify the Ellsworth warranty. That's not worth it. I'm sure a shop could take care of it, but it seems to me that this is what warranties are made for. If you've put it off for a year, you can wait until the trails are really closed for the season (I ain't giving up yet) and then send it to Ellsworth. You know... like when you send your suspension to Push.

3nf
    Aphonopelma Coloradanum
    The last time I had a rivnut come loose, my local bike shop had a tool to re-tighten it (this was in a different state). I would expect that a good local shop that does a lot of service should be able to do this.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Easy fix

If this is the standard loose rivet problem its less than a 5 minute fix. As someone mentioned, check with the manufacturer first just to be safe on warranty. After that go to Lee's in Ft Fun or if you're here in C/S go to Old Town (I know they have the tool). Its a very simple tool that quickly represses the rivet snugly into the frame. Should be very easy for any good shop with knowledgable wrenches. Hope that helps as I am suffering insomnia while waiting to go for my next ride.

slow
    Lee's downtown had the tool when I worked there 20 years ago. May still have it.

mtbr member
    Both Performance Bike and REI should have the tool in Fort Collins. I'd go visit Noah at Performance Bike in the Service Dept.

mtbr member
    probably not going to put jb weld on my overpriced frame. I will try performance. I wrote them off without even thinking. I actually live with a mechanic from lees and he had no idea, although he isn't the greatest mechanic. Not a big fan of that place, I tend to like the smaller places because you get more personal attention. I know performance is a huge place that is why I didn't think of them. Typically when I go in there and ask for stuff they look at me like I am from another planet or their mechanic isn't in. I was actually thinking of just buying the tool myself, but I have had an expensive summer and probably not the best use of my funds. Thanks for the help guys.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This happened to me on a Ti frame. Bought the "tool" at home depot (rivnut gun) and repaired myself. Easy fix.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    The Lee's right by campus has an awesome service dept, take it in there.