Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

lookout mtn ride

2K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  miSSionary 
#1 ·
My good buddy Cole keeps asking me to go ride lookout with him. I'll pass.

#28 ·
Thanks for posting the vid - much respect to the peeps who can do this. It is cool to watch, until you see the oncoming traffic. Or the skater on foot who pops out around the blind right hand corner. Yes, bikes are safer, and snowboards can stop faster. I'd hate to get hit by a runaway board while climbing up. It would only take one or two incidents to have the cops on stakeout to keep skaters off the hill - one good reason not to do the mass descent. Roadbikes wouldn't last long on Lookout if they did that either, and what has gotten us the bad rep on Apex is actually much more toned down, IMO.

#29 · (Edited)
Hahaha, good afternoon everyone, I am late to the thread and didn't realize of Mateo's posting. It isn't as bad as it looks, you just gotta give new things in life a try once in a while, until you do said things will never have understanding.

1) Dad, if your watching...IT ISN'T ME I SWEAR! :p :skep: :shocked:
2) clarkkey594, we are all looking for a funeral...delay date. :D
3) Nickle, I need to ride (longboards, haha) with you! I got into it too late!! Sweet Pic!! :thumbsup:
4) cbrock450, you ARE going, question is when. :cornut:
5) Mateo, the kid is due! He's going with me and the Chad! You want him, come get him! :ciappa:
6) Flyer, You can break 40 safely! :eekster:
7) brokefork, bikes are not safer, bikes require less skill to stop. :yesnod: Also, Craig Hospital is full of mortals trying to be immortals.
8) JimboCO, How's the baby? you are due also! You going to watch in May? :yesnod:
9) scar, bring me a set and we'll find out?! Thought about using my NR ONCE...:eek:ut:
10) mountaingoatepics, I was riding Zang in front of your house for months before I made the jump to the big hill. With a tailwind you hit 35 on zang! Dang! lol :blush:
11) PDB, last thing I left up there was a big toe nail. Last thing I left on my fixie up there...quite a bit of pounds in skin, one concussion and a bent wheel. :madman:
12) IndecentExposure, go up Mothers Day weekend and you'll get all the curbage you can handle! :thumbsup:
13) chuckred, It is a $22 fine if caught, operation of a toy in the street is the ticket. Cops on top = cool. Cops at bottom = cool, not cool with ticket book. Either way, they seem to view me the same, bike or board. They do ask a ton of questions to those getting busted. They do show lots of interest also. ;)
14) dbabuser, it will take much more than one or two...I promise! :yikes:

Now, I propose this to my biker friends; I see runners flipping off roadies flipping off mountainbikers flipping off cars going up Lookout everytime I am there.

We come screaming down in one massive pack of carnage seeing bikers, mountain bikers, hikers, runners, cars, deer, elk, cops, jefco rangers, student drivers, student bus drivers, little old ladies...you name it.

We get the same reaction from ALL of them; They all smile, wave and come to life. Why? Because they lost their tuff exterior and rigid sense of humor if only for a moment. A moment long enough to reflect back on what it was like to be a kid and experience something new...

...The lesson here?? Stay a kid at heart, be kind to all and go take life up on some of her adventure! Happy Thursday everyone...I'm out! :cornut:

#32 ·
Well said

miSSionary said:
We come screaming down in one massive pack of carnage seeing bikers, mountain bikers, hikers, runners, cars, deer, elk, cops, jefco rangers, student drivers, student bus drivers, little old ladies...you name it.

We get the same reaction from ALL of them; They all smile, wave and come to life. Why? Because they lost their tuff exterior and rigid sense of humor if only for a moment. A moment long enough to reflect back on what it was like to be a kid and experience something new...

...The lesson here?? Stay a kid at heart, be kind to all and go take life up on some of her adventure! Happy Thursday everyone...I'm out! :cornut:
But, I have to admit, when I was almost to Mt. Vernon Canyon and saw an ambulance go by with lights and sirens, I had a very sick feeling. Glad it wasn't you guys! Be safe!

#34 ·
miSSionary said:
3) Nickle, I need to ride (longboards, haha) with you! I got into it too late!! Sweet Pic!! :thumbsup:
For sure, man! I haven't actually ridden more than a couple carves in my cul de sac in four years or more. So don't expect anything cool or impressive out of me. But I'm always down for a session. :)

#35 ·
Nickle said:
For sure, man! I haven't actually ridden more than a couple carves in my cul de sac in four years or more. So don't expect anything cool or impressive out of me. But I'm always down for a session. :)
Hit me up when you have time to kill in the spring...the sceene is crazy big here now!

#36 ·
JimboCO said:
"Bikes are safer than skateboards" Please cite the data supporting your statement.

"Brakes and things like that make them safer." Define "and things like that". Skateboarders use their feet to brake.

"I don't want to spoil anyone's fun, but chances of running head on into an oncoming car
are much greater on a skateboard than on a bike." Please cite data supporting your conclusion.
I laughed . . . I shall use this highly effective foot braking the next time I ride my road bike.

Cool video by the way. . . .

#37 ·
croatiansensation said:
I laughed . . . I shall use this highly effective foot braking the next time I ride my road bike.

Cool video by the way. . . .
Hahaha...if your roadie is a fixie you just might use this method next time! :p

#39 ·
croatiansensation said:
Probably a massive repost, but . . . .

complements of BikeSnobNYC

[
Nice vid!! YIKES! Someone tell broke fork how dangerous that one is!! I kid, I kid.

#41 ·
brokefork said:
I don't care if you people kill yourselves, just don't take me with you.:)
Hahaha, deal! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.