mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Looking for trail suggestions

Well hi there. This would be my first post on the forum. I've been away from offroad biking for a few years now. Shortly after moving to Colorado in 2008, I took my Schwinn Mesa out on a few trails. One of them thoroughly kicked my ass, as I wasn't used to the altitude yet. I sold that bike a few years ago, in favor of a Specialized Sirrus to get around Denver on. Just recently moved up to Johnstown(just a bit south of Loveland), and I decided to sell the Sirrus(not much of a fan of the country road cycling), and picked up a Specialized Rockhopper today.

I found Devil's Backbone trail, and rode it in 1.5 miles before deciding I had to turn around to avoid the trail kicking my ass. That said, I'm looking for a few trail suggestions that I can get back into this on. I need to get familiar with my new bike, as well as general skills again. My Sirrus has 29s on it, but this mountain bike is a bit of a new beast. I've never had suspension before, and the handle bar is way wider than anything I've used in the past.

So a few trails I can ease into, and get some experience would be great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

The other side of DBB, BlueSky. Easy with good mileage. And walk what you cannot ride till you can. Also, the lower trails in HTMP and Lory Park. Those are near BlueSky and very smooth.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Echoing what Mohammedqur said:

Park at the Horsetooth Mountain Park Soderburg trailhead and ride the valley trails (Nomad, Shoreline, East Valley, West Valley). Mostly buff, rolling singletrack. You can create some nice loops. Free maps of HTMP and the adjacent (to the north) Lory State Park are easily found online. As long as you stay in the valley you won't get your ass kicked.

Or park at the Blue Sky trailhead and ride Blue Sky trail south toward DBB. For a little climbing challenge, loop the Indian Summer trail. Unless you ride early or late, Blue Sky is best avoided on weekends when the weather is nice.

You'll have to pay to park at either of the above trailheads.

Or drive a little farther to Bobcat Ridge and ride the valley trail there (stay off Ginny and Powerline, unless you're in the mood for a good ass kicking). Parking is free.

Have fun!
    Last edited by jradin; 03-25-2014 at 01:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions! My butt hurts a little today, but otherwise feeling pretty motivated. I think I'll go check out one of those trails shortly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon98 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions! My butt hurts a little today, but otherwise feeling pretty motivated. I think I'll go check out one of those trails shortly.
    For your butt, go tubeless and low air pressure. It is day and night difference. Last time I started with 30 psi after a road ride and it was hell! I stopped a mile in the ride, and it was smooth after that.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just got done with Bobcat Ridge: valley loop. Just about the perfect trail for me right now, and a good length. City riding doesn't prepare you for tight switchbacks, so it was good to get some practice in on those. I had to walk uphill a few times, because the trail went steeply up after a switchback. By the end of it though, I was gaining some confidence in the bike and myself, and was picking up some speed, both uphill and down.

Obligatory I just bought a new bike and got it dirty picture:

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm also in Johnstown. I actually prefer the drive to Lyons and the trails there. Check out Rabbit Mountain and the Picture Rock trail.

Rabbit Mt has a steeper climb to start, but then its kind of mild ups and downs. A few technical spots, but not bad. A short trail.

Picture rock is an awesome intermediate trail. Again some climbing to start, but manageable. The technical spots are interspersed with smooth fun. Turn around at the silo, unless you're digging the tech.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I did Eagle Wind on Rabbit Mountain today. Pretty nice trail. It had my arms working more than anything else. The sit bones were only mildly sore today, hardly noticeable once I got going.

I might try Picture Rock and/or Blue Sky in the next day or so.