mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Looking for studded tires.

Has anyone found studded tires that would withstand a winter of daily commuting? I commute 12 miles a day with a child carrier, mostly on pavement, so I don't want to use the drywall screw method because it wouldn't hold up. Ideally, I'd like to find a 700c tire.

Thanks
    (Fort Collins, CO)

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by le Coq Rouge
    Has anyone found studded tires that would withstand a winter of daily commuting? I commute 12 miles a day with a child carrier, mostly on pavement, so I don't want to use the drywall screw method because it wouldn't hold up. Ideally, I'd like to find a 700c tire.

Thanks
    (Fort Collins, CO)
    Nokian Hakkapelitta's are studded 700c's. Pricey. Don't know how they're hold up long term but Nokes are quality tires. Innova also has a studded tire that's pretty cheap. Dunno who carries them. BTW, my wife commutes year round and gets by fine with cross tires in the winter; typically 35mm IRC Mythos so they don't slow her down much but still has some bite. In summer she runs 32mm Panaracer T-Servs with are almost goathead proof and seem to last forever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

... and if we just ... saw some studded tires

Thanks
    (Fort Collins, CO)

I was in, I think lee cyclery they had nokians that were studded, about $55 a piece. I'm not sure they were the size you need, they loked more like 1.9 mtn size.
    Although they may be able to locate some for you, if not that try the Nokian website.

Not because I'm fast.....

I second the Nokians

[QUOTE=DWF]Nokian Hakkapelitta's are studded 700c's. Pricey. Don't know how they're hold up long term but Nokes are quality tires. QUOTE]

I found a brand new, never used pair of the Hakkapelitta's this summer at a community garage sale in Broomfield. Price $5.00 which included some old Mavic rims. I was surprised at how much they retail for brand new, almost absurd.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Mojo Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by RETROROCKS
    I was in, I think lee cyclery they had nokians that were studded, about $55 a piece. I'm not sure they were the size you need, they loked more like 1.9 mtn size.
    Although they may be able to locate some for you, if not that try the Nokian website.
    Has them, saw them yesterday. Listed at $79, but call Lisa and ask her for a deal and tell her Patt sent you. Might work, I've spent my life savings 3 times over there.

Candlestick Maker

Thanks
    (Fort Collins, CO)
    Nokian's for (relatively) cheap here:

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=TR1110

baker

Tame the Penguin!

Studded tires

I don't know how they stand up to local commuting, but Larry Mettler at www.mtnhighcyclery.com has some in his shop. I'm not sure what they are but I know he's carrying them. His prices are usually obviously less than the other LBSs in the area.

He might even know how well they do as far as mileage goes on the studs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

... and if we just ... 700 C Studded

Thanks
    (Fort Collins, CO)

THERES A COMPANY CALLED, INOVA,OR INNOVA, THEY MAKE THAT SIZE STUDDED TIRE.