Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking for some local knowledge....

1K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  kobe-wan 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am going to be a visitor to Colorado and was looking for some local knowledge on the trails in the Golden - Boulder area.

A few buddies and I are going to be pulling into town (Boulder area) on May 1st for a week of mountain biking and I was wondering a few things on the area...I know we cant predict the weather but was hoping to get a general idea on whether to make the trip or not.

1. Are trail conditions going to be sloppy/mud or dry enough to have an enjoyable ride (assuming the rain stays away)?

2. Does anyone have any recommendations on intermediate trails and the recommended direction of riding (clockwise or counter clockwise)?

3. I am sure a good guide book has been written...any suggestions or experiences?

I appreciate any input as the last time I was in Colorado, I was able to ride some trails in the Co Springs area but didn't have and local knowledge and ended riding majority of the trails the wrong way or spent a lot of time second guessing my turns. It kinda ruined my ride by not knowing the trail.

Thanks!

Simon

See less See more
#2 ·
I would think your chances of finding dry trails somewhere to be good. Intermediate around Boulder I'd say Betasso, the network south at the south end of town - Spring Brook, Marshall Mesa, Dirty Bismark, etc. Also Walker Ranch and Heil Ranch. Get the latitude 40 maps from a local bike shop. Maybe Boulder Mountain Bike Alliance's web site for maps as well.
Trails | Boulder Mountainbike Alliance

#6 ·
There are a ton of threads on this, but here's a short list of "must-do" rides in the area (assuming the weather is OK, which it should be):

- Buffalo Creek (in Pine, about an hour from Boulder)
- Hall Ranch, Picture Rock, Heil Ranch (can connect the three for 25-30 mile ride)
- Centennial Cone (in Golden, about 45 minutes from Boulder)
- Walker Ranch
- Betasso Preserve (start on Fourmile Canyon Rd and use the new connector trail on the north side of the trail system)
- Devil's Backbone to Blue Sky (in Loveland, about 30-40 minutes north)
- South Boulder Trail System: Marshall Mesa, High Plains, Doudy Draw, Spring Brook, etc. (easier loop technically and aerobically, but you can knock out a lot of miles)
- Mt. Falcon to Lair O' the Bear (in Morrison, about 30-40 minutes south)

#18 ·
I'm with you. Like the quote from Natural Born Killers says, "A man needs variety". :D

That being said, I still haven't ridden Deer Crick or Indian Cr. Heard it was 6 mile of gravel road with a 'little' singletrack at the end.

#20 ·
Wow whoever told u indian creek is 6 miles of gravel road and a little single track must be saving it for themselves. You can ride indian creek all the way to buffalo creek. Just for the record i have only been here 11 months and have been to almost every ride on the list plus a ton. Variety is the Key,sure i ride some places more then others but how can u not like to mix it up. Definetly hit up indian creek.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.