mtbr member
    May 2007

Looking at Silverthorne for vacation

So the wife and I are going back to Colorado this summer. Last 5 years vacations were spent in Crested Butte / Durango / Fruita / Moab. This year we'll get a later start ( July ), so we're thinking high country. We are thinking of Keystone for some lift access fun, but mostly both of us will be riding cross country stuff. Are there enough trails around the area to ride ( for free ) or will we be forced to only ride in the Keystone park? Thanks Keith

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    More stuff than you could ride in 2 weeks. You're going to have to tear yourself away from all the other trails to hit the Keystone lifts.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Silverthorne isn't exactly the best spot to base yourself from the riding from town point of view so to get to the best riding you'll have to drive a short distance to the trailheads. There is literally hundreds of miles of fantastic XC riding in Summit County. Keystone is great if you're a DH/lift kind of person, but if you aren't afraid of climbing, you have no limits. Be aware though, that the high alpine generally doesn't open till late June/early July. There's tons of lower elevation stuff though if you are here before the high passes open. There are a couple guide books that all the bike shops will have and there's also a free newspaper type ride guide that's widely available.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I don't know the XC stuff in Summit well at all. The last 4 summers, I've spent 1-2 weeks straight in winter park, and I'm still finding new trails. The "on map" stuff is epic, but the stuff between the lines of the maps is super epic, and easy to find. Both around town and on the mountain. I'll be doing it again this year. Usually I go during July, so I wake up, watch the TDF stage, do a ride, come back for lunch, then do another ride, then come back and have a beer or 3. Next day repeat. Likely the same can be done in Silverthorn.
    Our Shops in Fort Collins and Boulder www.fullcyclebikes.com -- doing the mountainbike thing since '82

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the replys. Driving to the trailhead will be fine, I have a corporate discount rate to stay at La Quinta Inns' and noticed there is one in Silverthorne, so that's why we're looking there. Sounds like it should be no problem finding plenty to ride in the area. I will try to find some guide books online to research ahead of time. ZRM do you know the name of the newspaper guide you spoke of? I am taking my big bike ( AS-X ) to hit the lifts, and will try to get my wife to do some of the easier runs as well (she rides a Foes FXR). I plan on using Kaj's routine of ride / eat / ride / drink... at the park! I will also bring my 575 for the trail riding so as to get the best of both worlds. We also just like to get out and mix it up with hiking, sightseeing, nightlife etc., so we will probably drive some distances to take in as much as our 6-7 days will allow.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It's called the summit county ride guide. It's a news print publication and is widely available anywhere you typically find tourist information which in Summit county is just about everywhere. The lat 40 map is pretty good also. Most bike shops will have that.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Unless you're on a super low budget, there are lots of cheap options in Summit County in the summer. That's because there is way more supply than demand during the summer. You could probably find a studio or 1br condo in Breck for cheap, especially when renting for a week. Frisco is another decent option. Much of the riding is accessible on 2 wheels from Brecktown.

mtbr member
    There's a good beginner trail in Keystone. The Aquaduct trail. Sadly they should change the name to duct trail because I have not seen much water there. They must of drianed it. So far it's the easiest trail I have seen. You pedal up the Gulch rd. and the trail is across the river on the right. It's not obvious and I am poor at giving instructions so I guess get a map. You can also access the trails by the Keystone ranch through the Aqualessduct trail and go all the way to breck if you feel like it.

Um watch out for horses, if a group comes by, get off your bike, horses always have the right away. I am an ex stable employee and some mountain bikers cause horses to buck people off. They do tours on the Aquaduct trail.

To scare you, I saw mountain lion tracks when I was walking my dog there about a week ago.

There's a trail in Dillon that goes all the way to keystone. I rode it the other day. It's called the Tenderfoot trail. It's not single track and it's not technical at all. However it has rollars that are fun to jump off, so not entirely boring. It's in Dillonthorne, next to a water tower. My directions are terrbile, you may find it.

mtbr member
    You've got to ride the Peaks trail. It's one of my favorites. It's easily accessible from Breck or Frisco. If you're looking for more downhill, start in Breck. If you want more climbing, start in Frisco. If you want both, ride it both ways. It's about 20 miles round trip, but perfect to split up. Ride one way, stop in town and have lunch, then ride back. The trail has awesome single track, and sweet views. Go during the week,the weekend can get busy with hikers. Any local shop can tell you how to get to it, and if you want a riding buddy, I might be able to help. As for the mountain lions, I've seen tracks too, but in my 4 years of living and riding in the area, I've never seen one. Never! Also no one I know has ever seen one. The only people who see them are forest rangers, who are tracking them. All you'll see is foxes, and maybe a deer if you're lucky. Happy riding!
    Catalina wine Mixer!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    We haven't nailed down our reservations yet but it's looking like we'll be arriving around July 4th-5th ish. Will check back with you as time gets nearer brandonj1979, would be cool to hook up with someone who knows the trail, although probably not for you, since were flat-landers and will be suffering. Hell, we suffer here at home in Texas. NO! NO Everyone, don't leave...We're not the drunk,belligerent gun toting Texans. Well, not belligerent or gun toting anyway.

mtbr member
    Sounds good. 4th of July time is pretty busy around here, but it'll still be fun.
    Catalina wine Mixer!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonj1979
    You've got to ride the Peaks trail. It's one of my favorites. It's easily accessible from Breck or Frisco. If you're looking for more downhill, start in Breck. If you want more climbing, start in Frisco. If you want both, ride it both ways. It's about 20 miles round trip, but perfect to split up. Ride one way, stop in town and have lunch, then ride back. The trail has awesome single track, and sweet views. Go during the week,the weekend can get busy with hikers. Any local shop can tell you how to get to it, and if you want a riding buddy, I might be able to help. As for the mountain lions, I've seen tracks too, but in my 4 years of living and riding in the area, I've never seen one. Never! Also no one I know has ever seen one. The only people who see them are forest rangers, who are tracking them. All you'll see is foxes, and maybe a deer if you're lucky. Happy riding!
    I like the downhill trails up on Boreous Pass. Those are nice and have switch backs. There's also a mountain bike park up there.

I have known a few people who have seen mountain lions. They are really good at hiding and not seeing them does not mean they are not around. They are ambush predators. However I don't know or heard of anybody getting attacked in summit county.

Up not down
    Aug 2006
    Hit me up and if I am off work I could show you guys some trails.
    I have ridden up here for lots of years and grew up in Silverthorne/Dillon area.
    Jeff
    (surfsled@hotmail.com)
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad
    Thanks for the replys. Driving to the trailhead will be fine, I have a corporate discount rate to stay at La Quinta Inns' and noticed there is one in Silverthorne, so that's why we're looking there. Sounds like it should be no problem finding plenty to ride in the area. I will try to find some guide books online to research ahead of time. ZRM do you know the name of the newspaper guide you spoke of? I am taking my big bike ( AS-X ) to hit the lifts, and will try to get my wife to do some of the easier runs as well (she rides a Foes FXR). I plan on using Kaj's routine of ride / eat / ride / drink... at the park! I will also bring my 575 for the trail riding so as to get the best of both worlds. We also just like to get out and mix it up with hiking, sightseeing, nightlife etc., so we will probably drive some distances to take in as much as our 6-7 days will allow.

mtbr member
    Breck Bike Week will be going on during your stay. Lots of free stuff to check out including:

- Shorter, interpretive led group rides daily highlighting the town’s commitment to its trail network and its historic significance
    - Six marked ‘big-loop’ rides that the customer can self-tour. These will be 25-30 mile rides and we’ll publish one-sheet ‘ride-guides’.
    - Bike-in movie nights (3 total). Valet bike parking, free movie, beer and weiners for sale on site.
    - IMBA lecture
    - “Meet the pros/legends/journalists” event
    - Boulder Center for Sports Science lectures
    - Boulder Center for Sports Science bike fit sessions
    - Shimano Kids Races
    - Tour de France viewing in the Blue River Plaza each morning
    - Bike industry demos
    - High-level media fam with hospitality and group ride elements
    - Published guide that highlights the event schedule, local shops, specific cycling amenities and Breck Bike Week specials at merchants and restaurants
    - A “Dine-around” component

...and lodging is insanely cheap right now all over the county. Check out:
    www.GWlodging.com
    www.gobreck.com
    www.vrbo.com

I'd second the motion to stay in Breck. That way you can take your wife to a free outdoor movie, get her snockered, then ride your bikes home. But in all honesty? You can't go wrong up here that week no matter where you stay. Beautiful weather, tons of options.

Good luck. Have fun.

MM
    Support Open Space!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by surfsled
    Hit me up and if I am off work I could show you guys some trails.
    I have ridden up here for lots of years and grew up in Silverthorne/Dillon area.
    Jeff
    (surfsled@hotmail.com)
    Fej- that you? Definitely take this guy up on his offer. He knows some stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for everyone's input. Have spoken with some really nice folks from this thread. Thanks for the maps etc. Bryan. Our plans have changed, and now we will be staying at The Lodge In Breckenridge. Hope to meet up with everyone at the festivities that MikeMac listed above. Will have to get the guide to see where all these events are taking place. Sounds like a great time with plenty to do as well as the riding. The bike to the movies sounds ultra cool. Look forward to seeing as many of you as we can. We'll be in the tan Nissan X-terra with a Yeti and a Foes on top.... Wave us down....Can't wait. Will PM cell phone numbers to all who offered guide services.