Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Looking for an ON ONE

Any one know if there are any shops on the front range that might have an On One 456? I want to get a frame but I wanted to check one out.

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    steel, ti, or waiting for carbon? Don't understand a carbon version of this bike.
    Recently got a scandal from Redstone Cyclery but I think on-one has gone back to direct sales

mtbr member
    Steel with regular drop outs. MMMMMMM hard tail with a 5in 20mm fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I don't think anybody will have one in a shop. Redstone used to carry them but doesn't anymore.

I have one and am in the denver/golden area. Let me know if you want to take a look.

Or, you could just buy one: $255
    http://mtb.unrealcycles.com/catalog/item469.htm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alldownhill
    I don't think anybody will have one in a shop. Redstone used to carry them but don't anymore.

I have one and am in the denver/golden area. Let me know if you want to take a look.

Or, you could just buy one: $255
    http://mtb.unrealcycles.com/catalog/item469.htm

Cool thanx I might take you up on the offer. How do you like it for the trails around here? I was looking at the unreal site. I think I'm going to get it from them On One wants $100 to ship a frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    Cool thanx I might take you up on the offer. How do you like it for the trails around here? I was looking at the unreal site. I think I'm going to get it from them On One wants $100 to ship a frame.
    Its a lot of fun. 1x9 with a 5" fork makes for a good all around bike. Yeah, the shipping from On-One is crazy. I picked up the frame from CRC when they still sold them and the shipping was free from the UK.

mtbr member
    Its a lot of fun. 1x9 with a 5" fork makes for a good all around bike. Yeah, the shipping from On-One is crazy. I picked up the frame from CRC when they still sold them and the shipping was free from the UK.

Yea I should have dun the same thing. I'm going to swap out all the parts from my full suspension that I never use. 2x9 with an adjustable pike.

ride
    On Ones are cool cheap bikes. I've been pretty happy with all of the ones I had in. The company isn't awesome to deal with though.

If you have difficulty getting a 456, also consider the Transition TransAM. It's not as cheap as the OnOne, but the build quality is a little better and you'll get much better support (if you need) from Transition. The TransAm is around $500.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Your bike is incorrigible
    I was still in the process of building my Inbred when I bought my Ragley. I have to say the Inbred is a cool bike and tough. But you have to consider the man who designed it left the company to build his own frames because On-One wouldn't let him push the geometry to the limit. Inbreds are still a little cheaper, though not by much.

Edit: You can also look at Evil. Their new "trail" bike is as hardcore as it gets. It's expensive, but I think when you add up shipping an Inbred the difference isn't nearly as profound.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    On Ones are cool cheap bikes. I've been pretty happy with all of the ones I had in. The company isn't awesome to deal with though.

If you have difficulty getting a 456, also consider the Transition TransAM. It's not as cheap as the OnOne, but the build quality is a little better and you'll get much better support (if you need) from Transition. The TransAm is around $500.

Thanx for the feed back. I wondered how they would be to deal with. The Transition TransAM Is the bike I really want but its just too expensive for me right now. I'm not a big fan of steel bikes really. I'm hopping the On One will tide me over for a few years till I can spend the money for the AM.

Edit: O just looked at the Am agen and its steel too.

ride
    Geez pulser, hasn't anyone told you that steel is real?
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm not a big fan of steel bikes really.
    You could give the alumiinumium (sp?) Ragley mmmBop a try:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=39113

mtbr member
    You could give the alumiinumium (sp?) Ragley mmmBop a try:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=39113

O yea thats a possibility The other one is the Chumba HX1.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Geez pulser, hasn't anyone told you that steel is real?

Yea its real alright heavy and feels like a wet noodle.

Why would you even think of an Mmmmm bob when the Blue Pig is so much better? Only two pounds heavier. Heck, mine built up into a sub-30 lb ride. I do stuff on it I won't touch with my Heckler.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    Why would you even think of an Mmmmm bob when the Blue Pig is so much better? Only two pounds heavier. Heck, mine built up into a sub-30 lb ride. I do stuff on it I won't touch with my Heckler.
    What makes it so much better? I don't see a big difference. Other then what they are made out of.

What makes it so much better? I don't see a big difference. Other then what they are made out of.
    Steel! The Mmmmm Bop is slightly more expensive, too. At least with the Blue Pig you get some vibration damping from the frame, and with what the frame can handle, you'll need it. Look, the Inbred feels right the first time you get on it -- relaxed enough that you aren't afraid of some hits. The Ragley does take a little getting used to because it is another couple degrees slacker and the front end feels weird. If you want an all around capable steel HT, then the Inbred is a great choice. If you want a really hardcore steel HT, then the Ragley, Transition or Evil is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Steel! The Mmmmm Bop is slightly more expensive, too. At least with the Blue Pig you get some vibration damping from the frame, and with what the frame can handle, you'll need it. Look, the Inbred feels right the first time you get on it -- relaxed enough that you aren't afraid of some hits. The Ragley does take a little getting used to because it is another couple degrees slacker and the front end feels weird. If you want an all around capable steel HT, then the Inbred is a great choice. If you want a really hardcore steel HT, then the Ragley, Transition or Evil is the way to go.

I'm doing this because I don't like the feel of my Giant XTC on the steep trails out here. Its really fun in places like Blue Sky. But take it to Horse Tooth or Devils Back Bone and I'm scared. Its mostly because I crashed and broke my back like 7 years ago. The Pike in the front of my full suspension makes me feel like I have allot more control I just don't like the way the rest of the bike handles out here. So I'm not looking for a bike thats going to be used for really crazy stuff. I just want a hard tail that can climb with the Pike on the front.

I'm doing this because I don't like the feel of my Giant XTC on the steep trails out here. Its really fun in places like Blue Sky. But take it to Horse Tooth or Devils Back Bone and I'm scared. Its mostly because I crashed and broke my back like 7 years ago. The Pike in the front of my full suspension makes me feel like I have allot more control I just don't like the way the rest of the bike handles out here. So I'm not looking for a bike thats going to be used for really crazy stuff. I just want a hard tail that can climb with the Pike on the front.
    Ok, sounds like a reasonable request. The headtube angle on the Inbred is slack enough. I rode mine last summer all over Buff Creek, comparing it to my Heckler. Of course it really is never going to be as cushy and handle soaking up hits like a full suspension bike. However, I do love the power you feel in a HT, and with a 67 degree head angle, it's going to make you feel better on steep stuff. The Pike would be perfect for the Inbred. To tell you the truth, I think the build on my Inbred was around $800, maybe even a little less (I had a wheelset, saddle and rear derailleur and shifters already). You've already got a major component in the fork. I would seriously recommend the Inbred as a do-all bike that feels secure on downhills.

The one thing I have to say is that the sizing is really strange. I went with the 20". Now I'm 6'2" and ride an XL in the Heckler and a 21" in a Stumpjumper, so I figured I should go with the bigger frame in the Inbred. However, I had to resort to putting a 90mm stem on it to get the reach correct. The seat tube angle is slack, too, so the effective reach doesn't really mean anything. If you are going to order one from On-One, then go with a slightly smaller frame. Better yet, see if there is anyone around with an Inbred close to your size that you can sit on.

mtbr member
    Ok, sounds like a reasonable request. The headtube angle on the Inbred is slack enough. I rode mine last summer all over Buff Creek, comparing it to my Heckler. Of course it really is never going to be as cushy and handle soaking up hits like a full suspension bike. However, I do love the power you feel in a HT, and with a 67 degree head angle, it's going to make you feel better on steep stuff. The Pike would be perfect for the Inbred. To tell you the truth, I think the build on my Inbred was around $800, maybe even a little less (I had a wheelset, saddle and rear derailleur and shifters already). You've already got a major component in the fork. I would seriously recommend the Inbred as a do-all bike that feels secure on downhills.

The one thing I have to say is that the sizing is really strange. I went with the 20". Now I'm 6'2" and ride an XL in the Heckler and a 21" in a Stumpjumper, so I figured I should go with the bigger frame in the Inbred. However, I had to resort to putting a 90mm stem on it to get the reach correct. The seat tube angle is slack, too, so the effective reach doesn't really mean anything. If you are going to order one from On-One, then go with a slightly smaller frame. Better yet, see if there is anyone around with an Inbred close to your size that you can sit on.
    My XTC is a 17 and I'm 5'8". I know that the top tube for the 16 is a bit longer then my XTC. I was going to run a shorter stem to compensate. Its just going to depend on the over all cockpit length i get when i put a seat post in it. The other thing i like on the Rangley is The tubing size. Its the same as my Azonic so I don't need a new Front deraler and seat post. I also can get a Crank Brothers Joplen post for it since its 31.6.

My XTC is a 17 and I'm 5'8". I know that the top tube for the 16 is a bit longer then my XTC. I was going to run a shorter stem to compensate. Its just going to depend on the over all cockpit length i get when i put a seat post in it. The other thing i like on the Rangley is The tubing size. Its the same as my Azonic so I don't need a new Front deraler and seat post. I also can get a Crank Brothers Joplen post for it since its 31.6.
    Well, it's the Mmmmm Bop that has the 31.6 post, not the Blue Pig. However, since you have some components that will fit, it might end up being cheaper to go with the Mmmm Bop anyway.

I think they say that the Inbred's effective TT is 24". With a 115mm stem, it was over an inch longer than on my Stumpjumper with 25.5" effective TT and 90mm stem. I learned my lesson and got a 70mm stem when I bought the Ragley. Plus, you're not supposed to go bigger than 70mm on the Ragley because it will make the front end really slow.

mtbr member
    The effective top tube on my XTC is 22.6 and I'm running a 100mm stem. The Mmmmbop is 23 so I could probably run a 70mm stem with out any problems. The On One is kind of the same. My only problem with the Rangley and the other bikes is the raked out front end. I don't know how they will handle tight switch backs. One of my big problems with the full suspension I have now is its too long. The dam thing is impassable to ride around tight switch backs.

The effective top tube on my XTC is 22.6 and I'm running a 100mm stem. The Mmmmbop is 23 so I could probably run a 70mm stem with out any problems. The On One is kind of the same. My only problem with the Rangley and the other bikes is the raked out front end. I don't know how they will handle tight switch backs. One of my big problems with the full suspension I have now is its too long. The dam thing is impassable to ride around tight switch backs.
    The only thing that matters is getting a short stem to make the front end a little more responsive. Switchbacks are not a problem with either. I never even thought about them on the Inbred. Thought about them but not after turning the first one on the Ragley.

mtbr member
    The only thing that matters is getting a short stem to make the front end a little more responsive. Switchbacks are not a problem with either. I never even thought about them on the Inbred. Thought about them but not after turning the first one on the Ragley.

Cool thats good to know. The bikes are ment to be used with small down hill type stems. I was planing on using one anyway. I'm keeping the XTC because its super lite and has lazer like handling when trails are really fast but not overly technical. Its also going to be my race bike. This new bike is going to be an all day ride kind of bike. Something that is really fun to ride every ware.

drinks from the fountain
    Yea its real alright heavy and feels like a wet noodle.
    Not sure which steel bike you have been riding but the ones you have mentioned don't have flex issues. The On One and the TA are tanks. Built to last.
    I personally ride a TA and love it! Hardly any flex compared to my my Intense Tracer or my Slayer sxc.

[QUOTE=pulser]
    My only problem with the Rangley and the other bikes is the raked out front end. I don't know how they will handle tight switch backs. One of my big problems with the full suspension I have now is its too long. The dam thing is impassable to ride around tight switch backs.

The geo is the BEST on the TA. The low BB with long toptube is very confidence inspiring.
    The slack headtube is an advantage to me. You need to set up a touch more sag perhaps.
    I run a Talus 36 so I can drop the front for the really steep climbs. ( I never do )
    As far as switch backs i dont have issues with wheelbase. Look at the FS 9ers. I ride with folks clean the nastiest of switchbacks on giant 9ers. Just adjust your style a bit.
    BTW I regularly clean the Backbone on my TA. I never had the confidence on my Slayer to roll the big steps.

Bottom line the TA is my all time fave bike. ( I own a Titus, ventana, Intense, and just sold my Slayer).
    Do yourself a favor and go to REDSTONE Cyclery and pick one up. Dave and Transition are the best to work with.
    If you want to ride mine I live in Loveland. If the trails ever dry out.
    pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast