contains quinine

Looking for "easier" Crested Butte trails

I've got the Latitude 40 maps, and I've read the descriptions, etc etc, but i'm looking for some extra CB advise. The wife and I are headed there real soon, and I'm hopeing I can get some suggestions for easier trails/2 track for her to ride while I'm out going big.

The best ways we've set it in the past are riding together for a while, then she turns around and I finish a bigger loop.

Any ideas folks?
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    Any ideas folks?
    Yeah, tell yer wife to sack up and be a man!
    Then duck for cover.

Stand back
    I'll have to check the maps we had for the name, but there were some fire roads north of town (either Peanut Lk. or Slate River Rd) that had easy singletrack crisscrossing it. My wife was a beginner then, and she didn't mind riding the singletrack, so I know it's pretty easy.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Check in with the Alpineer shop as you come into town, they will direct you to the best trails for your ability. There are many easier options but most do climb from town.

There are several trails you can access easily right from town.

http://www.visitcrestedbutte.com/biking.cfm

The Upper Loop/Tony's Trail (singletrack) and CB Rec Trail (paved) are on the east side of town across 135. They are intermediate trails I'd say. Whetstone Vista Trail can be accessed from Upper Loop and it dumps you onto Brush Creek Rd. (or it can be accessed from BC Rd.). Upper Upper Loop is also there but is a little tougher.

http://www.visitcrestedbutte.com/nav...e.cfm_rideid=2

Lower Loop and Upper Lower Loop are on the west side of town and are easier than the Upper Loop area described above.

http://www.visitcrestedbutte.com/nav....cfm_rideid=14

Strand Hill area is a bit more difficult with some grunt climbs but not super tough or technical. On the way to Strand Hill area and past it you can ride on Brush Creek Rd. which has great views and goes a ways into the mountains.

http://www.visitcrestedbutte.com/nav....cfm_rideid=19

Snodgrass has a bit of a climb in, but once up that the riding is no too difficult and if you start from the Mt. Crested Butte side you end up coming out on Washington Gulch Rd. which can be ridden for great views and fairly easy riding. If you continue past Snodgrass towards the town of Gothic, that road is beautiful and fairly tame.

http://www.visitcrestedbutte.com/nav...e.cfm_rideid=6

Slate Creek Rd. is lower down from Washington Gulch Rd. (closer to town) and riding that will get you great views. Also, with a bit of climbing but not too tough riding up Kebler Pass Rd. is a nice ride.

I also like Cement Creek Rd. which is south of town. There are some sections with steady climbing but not too tough and Reno/Flagg/Bear/Deadman's and Walrod singletrack trails all start from there (those are tougher rides though).

http://www.visitcrestedbutte.com/nav...e.cfm_rideid=7
    http://www.visitcrestedbutte.com/nav...e.cfm_rideid=1

Ed E

I think I can.
    Last time we were there the wifes went out and rode the DYKE trail, really enjoyed it and met lot's of friendly

Not too difficult.

As for shear beauty ride up to lost lake, not as easy but sure worth the effort and distance is reasonable.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
    Yeah, tell yer wife to sack up and be a man!
    Then duck for cover.
    I think what you're trying to say is that I should sack up and tell her to sack up. What you don't know is that my normally mild mannered wife is known to throw her bike when I take her on trails that are too hard - and I'm the mechanic in the household, so that's doubly bad.

Thanks folks, that's exactly what i was looking for. Especially Ed, you went beyond the call of duty with those descriptions.

Let the packing begin!

mtbr member
    My wife and I will also be in CB. We'll be there all of next week for FTBW. Can't wait. If you or any one is looking to meet up and ride let us know. We'll be looking to do the easier rides the first couple of days for a warm up.

chuck d

I've got the Latitude 40 maps, and I've read the descriptions, etc etc, but i'm looking for some extra CB advise. The wife and I are headed there real soon, and I'm hopeing I can get some suggestions for easier trails/2 track for her to ride while I'm out going big.

The best ways we've set it in the past are riding together for a while, then she turns around and I finish a bigger loop.

Any ideas folks?
    My Governor is a Jewish Cowboy
    www.kinkyfriedman.com

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004

Any ideas folks?

I noticed a couple riding last week that seemed to have a good solution for this.

They both road the reno divide road from the deadmans gulch trailhead and then at the top of the rode she turned around and he continued into the reno/flag/bear cr single track and down the deadmans switch backs.

The road ride is a rougher dirt road and about 6 mile with some steep climbing but nothing technical. It might be a good wife/combo ride option to consider.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    I noticed a couple riding last week that seemed to have a good solution for this.

They both road the reno divide road from the deadmans gulch trailhead and then at the top of the rode she turned around and he continued into the reno/flag/bear cr single track and down the deadmans switch backs.

The road ride is a rougher dirt road and about 6 mile with some steep climbing but nothing technical. It might be a good wife/combo ride option to consider.
    Sweet. That sounds perfect - As a matter of fact I was planning on that very ride for us. Thanks for the info.

Team Fearless Descender

Good job!

RockinTejas / Everyone,

I too will be in CB for the festival (we'll actually be there June 22 - June 26, so the tail end of the festivities) with the wife. Coming to CO via UT, from S. CA, and will be re-visiting some trails we've done on trips past in UT.

Look for a Blue Ventana El Salt FS, and a Blue Santa Cruz Super Lite, be sure and yell out "on your left" as you pass!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Right on Salty....we'll look for ya. Wife and I will be on our Kona's. I shot you a pm as per contacting me.

Looking forward to the party in the butte.

chuck d
    My Governor is a Jewish Cowboy
    www.kinkyfriedman.com

contains quinine
    Oh, that was pretty good stuff.

Thanks for the advise/help.
    Attached Images Attached Images