mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Looking for beginner to intermediate level riding near denver

Just visiting for a little while, wondering what some good trails might be. I would like to go on something longer than ten miles and nothing super technical but still has some downhill sections to get the blood flowing. Any recommendations would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Buffalo Creek

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboCO View Post
    Buffalo Creek
    +1!

mtbr member
    Check out places like Flat Irons north of Golden, Ridgeline in Castle Rock, Hidden Mesa near Parker with little climbing mostly meadowed or open riding. These are shorter rides 4-10 miles. I haven't checked to see if Flat Irons is open after the flooding. Some of the intermediate/beginner trails with climbing are Green Mountain in Lakewood or North Table Mountain in Golden. Personally I enjoy NTM more than Green Mountain. Lair O' the Bear is fun and is near Morrison and is a 12-13 mile out and back with around 1800-2000' of total climbing. Its fun flowy and in the trees and really difficult to get lost on.

If we knew a little better what your fitness level is and what you normally ride we might be able to offer some more options. There's good riding in Evergreen too like Evergreen mountain and Alderfer/3 Sisters is fun. I took my dad (61) there from Texas and it was his favorite riding. A lot of the other trails like Deer Creek, Apex, White Ranch, Falcon, Dakota Ridge can have some techy sections, a good deal of steep climbing, and/or are closed because of flooding damage, read Apex is ruined.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonblur View Post
    Check out places like Flat Irons north of Golden, Ridgeline in Castle Rock, Hidden Mesa near Parker with little climbing mostly meadowed or open riding. These are shorter rides 4-10 miles. I haven't checked to see if Flat Irons is open after the flooding. Some of the intermediate/beginner trails with climbing are Green Mountain in Lakewood or North Table Mountain in Golden. Personally I enjoy NTM more than Green Mountain. Lair O' the Bear is fun and is near Morrison and is a 12-13 mile out and back with around 1800-2000' of total climbing. Its fun flowy and in the trees and really difficult to get lost on.

If we knew a little better what your fitness level is and what you normally ride we might be able to offer some more options. There's good riding in Evergreen too like Evergreen mountain and Alderfer/3 Sisters is fun. I took my dad (61) there from Texas and it was his favorite riding. A lot of the other trails like Deer Creek, Apex, White Ranch, Falcon, Dakota Ridge can have some techy sections, a good deal of steep climbing, and/or are closed because of flooding damage, read Apex is ruined.

Good info, yea I was looking into NTM it seems pretty good. I think Flat Irons is open but a little rockier than normal. Lair o' the Bear is also closed now. I have decent climbing IMO. I did Green Mountain in Lakewood the other day going clockwise and I climbed most of the gravel road but did get off once to rest a bit. So anything comparable to that climb should really be ok.

mtbr member
    Then I'd suggest going up to Evergreen and riding Evergreen Mountain and hitting Ponderosa and Silver Fox and a few of the other trails at Aldefer/3 Sisters. Its a little bit of a drive but good fun and enjoyable. They have trail maps at the trail heads or downloadable online so you can see what I am talking about. There's a bit of techy stuff on the 3 Sisters trail but the rest is pretty fun. I take my kids up there. (They do not ride the Sister's trail though.) When riding with my buddies we generally ride from the golf course entering the park by the Dedisse trail but I would suggest starting at the east trailhead to Hidden Fawn, to Ponderosa, to Silver Fox, to Meadow trail and cross the road. Then Wild Iris to Evergreen Mtn West to the Summit, back down Summit to Evergreen Mtn East back to the trail head. As you can see there's more riding up there to be done that what I mentioned. If you use the link below you can download the map for this area.

Sorry I forgot Lair is closed.

Alderfer Three Sisters Park - Jefferson County, Colorado
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.