mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Looking for a 512 MB compact flash or lower capacity

I'm cleaning out my point and shoot camera drawer and I found my venerable Canon A85. I have a ton of great shots from Moab of earlier years with this camera but I've had it so long I forgot I had it! It and four others are going up on Craigslist.

It takes compact flash cards and the only ones I have are too large (capacity) for it, it can take up 512 MB but probably came with a 32 MB (long gone).

Anybody here have a smaller capacity CF card lurking in some drawer I could get from you? I'd imagine a 32 MB is pretty worthless for most cameras these days but if that's what you have, I'll take it. Let me know what you want for it. Thanks.

edit: still looking. Just rummage around in your dustiest drawer, surely someone has one that needs a home. Yeah, I could buy one but I'm practically giving this camera away and need to cut my losses!

edit2: still looking.
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-21-2011 at 02:52 PM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

killin clear creek
    I've given all my sub 1gb cards away or I'd give you some, but there's a ton on ebay for very cheap.

I'm buying 15-20 cards for my photo work this summer & the 1gb ones are about $6-7 shipped, 512's are even less.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryislife
    I've given all my sub 1gb cards away or I'd give you some, but there's a ton on ebay for very cheap.

I'm buying 15-20 cards for my photo work this summer & the 1gb ones are about $6-7 shipped, 512's are even less.
    Dude - if you need some cards cheap, PM me. I've got a buncha brand new ones.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The A85 supports FAT32 formatted CF so it shouldn't have any problems reading larger cards. The manual doesn't list any max card size and various reviews state that it can read/write a 2gb card.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I had a ton of 32 MB cards that I tossed last year and kept a 512 MB I bought for $39 ( ) back in the day. That 512 MB card went with an Olympus E-450 I sold and I kept the 4 GB cards from that one.

A 4 GB card in a 2004 4 meg camera results in a pretty purple LCD!

Here's a pic from an April 2005 trip to Moab with that camera, back when it was all so new going there. You win a big prize if you can tell us where this pic was taken:
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:01 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

killin clear creek
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Dude - if you need some cards cheap, PM me. I've got a buncha brand new ones.
    Sweet! Will do!
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alldownhill
    The A85 supports FAT32 formatted CF so it shouldn't have any problems reading larger cards. The manual doesn't list any max card size and various reviews state that it can read/write a 2gb card.
    The manual may not specifically say 2 GB won't work but their discussions on "card capacity" only go up to 512 MB. One thing fo' sho', my 4 GB Ultra II Sandisk cards don't work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    The manual may not specifically say 2 GB won't work but their discussions on "card capacity" only go up to 512 MB. One thing fo' sho', my 4 GB Ultra II Sandisk cards don't work.
    I'm not trying to be argumentative but at the time the capacity table was made, I imagine 512MB was the largest card out there.

The A85 was part of a recall because the connection to the ccd could become loose and would result in a distorted (purple?) or blank lcd.

Can you see the on screen icons or is the entire screen purple?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alldownhill
    I'm not trying to be argumentative but at the time the capacity table was made, I imagine 512MB was the largest card out there.

The A85 was part of a recall because the connection to the ccd could become loose and would result in a distorted (purple?) or blank lcd.

Can you see the on screen icons or is the entire screen purple?
    I agree that larger capacity cards probably didn't exist back then. It's kind of a distorted purple on black. The icons appear but I can't get a pic to review. But of course without a small capacity card I don't know if it's a loose connection or the fact my camera flat doesn't work with a 4 GB card. As far as I know it worked fine when I put it back in its original box last year after taking it out for old times sake (before I threw away all the 32 MB cards), hard to believe there was some shock to make that connection come loose.

This is by far the most "primitive' camera I own. I do most of my shooting with DSLRs and, quite frankly, I'm selling all my point and shoots to get either a G12 or an S95 just so's I have a "state of the art" point and shoot under the seat of my car for scouting locations, etc.

It'd be cool if it was a defective connection covered by a recall and I could trade it in on an S95

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It's kind of a distorted purple on black. The icons appear but I can't get a pic to review.

It'd be cool if it was a defective connection covered by a recall and I could trade it in on an S95
    Well, that sounds like the ccd connection symptons (reason for recall). I think they were honoring the recall as recent as last year but I think it finally ended (wouldn't hurt to shoot canon an email). Try to take a picture with the 4gb card. If it takes, you won't be able to review it on the camera but if you copy it to your computer and its "distorted", that confirms the issue.

As to your second point:
    http://consumerist.com/2009/05/above...-for-free.html

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Overlooking Kane Creek, right at the top of the hill just past the Amasa Back Trailhead? Hurrah Pass Road.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I like 'em either blond and fruity or dark and chocolaty

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EJP
    Overlooking Kane Creek, right at the top of the hill just past the Amasa Back Trailhead? Hurrah Pass Road.
    We have a winner! Your prize? Two weeks in Utah, all expenses paid AND full salary! Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Check out the sweet cards (disks) I was using in my first digital camera. $17,000 for the camera and these cards were like $1,200 each for an insane 260 MB, that was so bad ass at the time. You could drop them a half inch on the counter and break one, really awesome. If you still need a 512 card I just noticed one floating around my junk bin the other day. PM me an address and I'll send it to you.

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    We have a winner! Your prize? Two weeks in Utah, all expenses paid AND full salary! Enjoy.
    Lucky for you, I am staff at CU and my salary is a pittance. Where do I send the receipts?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I like 'em either blond and fruity or dark and chocolaty

mtbr member
    XCguy:
    I cleaned out my office stuff just a few days ago and came up with two 512 MB cards and a 32. Let me know if you're still looking for one.