mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Longmont Area Trails for Newbies?

I'm a newbie, got my first mtb as a Christmas present, and am moving to Longmont, CO next month. I'd really appreciate any pointers to easy trails for beginners.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Longmont doesn't have any singletrack mountain bike trails, but there are lots of bike paths (paved and crusher gravel) that you can string a lot of miles together on. Great for winter riding and building fitness.

The easiest trails in the Longmont vicinity would be East Boulder (sometimes called Teller Farms) and the Boulder Res. Both are very easy trails, nothing remotely technical on them. After those two, the next choices would probably be Heil Ranch / Picture Rock and Rabbit Mountain.

Check out :: | Boulder Mountainbike Alliance for a list of trails as well as trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Rabbit Mountain is a pretty good--this is were I started ridding. There's enough technical stuff to challenge you but nothing too radical. Plus there's a long dirt access road you can climb up to the main loop to avoid the more challenging ascent up the actual trail portion. I'd avoid Hall Ranch (don't get this confused with Heil which is relatively moderate). Teller Farms is super easy, a good place to get the feeling of riding on dirt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hall Ranch via Antelope Trail (from Hwy 66 to Apple Valley Rd.) is not too bad. The switchbacks might get at your lungs a bit, but it's not too technical up to the Nelson Loop and back. Avoid the Hwy 7 entrance into Hall. The Bitterbrush Trail is a rock garden that could discourage you if you're new to the sport.

I definitely agree that Rabbit Mountain is an excellent spot to start out on, though. It's more of a ridge than a mountain, so it's not impossible aerobically for a beginner. The trails are also in pretty good condition with some looser portions here and there. It's a good introduction to what you'll see more of in the area.

Picture Rock Trail is also an excellent option once you get a few rides under your belt. It's a very fun trail with banking turns and tricky sections that can even catch an expert out, but a beginner can do with some care. The first part from the parking lot to the silo has some climb to it but it's pretty smooth. Beyond the old homestead, it gets pretty rock going up into the Heil Ranch area...which caters more to intermediate riders.