Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,035

    The Long and Scenic Commute

    My standard cyclocommute is into Monument, down the Sante Fe Trail, into the Springs. Certainly nothing to complain about, especially if I add a little Monument Preserve singletrack. Today, however, I decided to take the long route to work....

    I got up before dawn and headed into the Monument Preserve, going up 715, then Flow Dog. I'm not really a morning person, but sunrises like this make it worth getting up early.


    Started the long climb up Mt Herman Road and was greeted with this beautiful view of the first rays of light hitting Mt Herman.


    Finally hit Rampart Range Road, after being passed by only one car the entire climb


    Cruised along Rampart Range Rd, ran into a herd of cows. I never knew there were free range cattle up there. Took a while for them to meander down and off the road, but I didn't mind the chance to slow down for a bit and relax.

    Accidentally descended towards Woodland Park on County Rd 22, then climbed back up Loy Creek Rd to rejoin Rampart Range Rd. Almost got creamed by a spooked buck on the RRR descent. Whoa, very close call.

    Decided I had enough time for a short detour, so I enjoyed a very damp ride down Williams.


    Rode back through Garden of Gods, then through Ute to work. What a nice way to start the day! Put in about 45 miles total, with lots of elevation gain and descent. Wish I could do it more often. Don't think I'll have the time or energy to reverse the route this evening, but I am tempted to maybe hit some Falcon Trail on the way home.

    :-)
    baker

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    306
    SLACKER!

    I took you for a: flowdog, backwards flow, across mt herman and up stoopid, up the powerline, up 318, down 319, up 775 log machine, shubarth to shubarth rim, down stanley canyon - clearing it, clockwise falcon loop, up West Monument Creek, then maybe a leisurely ride down the cascade overlook, to waldo, up williams, back down RRR from there, and a Ute cooldown...kinda guy. :^)!

    Nice work bbaker!

  3. #3
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,035
    Quote Originally Posted by jnordby
    SLACKER!

    I took you for a: flowdog, backwards flow, across mt herman and up stoopid, up the powerline, up 318, down 319, up 775 log machine, shubarth to shubarth rim, down stanley canyon - clearing it, clockwise falcon loop, up West Monument Creek, then maybe a leisurely ride down the cascade overlook, to waldo, up williams, back down RRR from there, and a Ute cooldown...kinda guy. :^)!

    Nice work bbaker!
    We should do that some day. You lead, I'll follow with my chest cam to capture the antics (and cursing).
    baker

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    306
    I was afraid you'd say that.

  5. #5
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,035
    Just took a look at the gps data. About 5100 ft of climbing in 44 miles this morning and about 1400ft of climbing in 20 miles tonight. I thought I'd feel toasted on the way home tonight, but was fine.

    Looks like my right turn at Albuquerque was worth an extra 500ft of climbing.

    Last edited by baker; 07-09-2010 at 05:49 PM.
    baker

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flash278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    73
    Very impressive. That is definitely the scenic route on the long cut.

  7. #7
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,119
    Makes work worth every mile of it.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jchull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    68
    Not nearly as awesome as my ride up Powers, then Voyager!

  9. #9
    Team Inflexible
    Reputation: Jaydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,843
    Nice!
    I bet williams was extra sweet in the early am.

  10. #10
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude
    Nice!
    I bet williams was extra sweet in the early am.
    Beautiful but stuff was wickedly slick due to previous day's rain and the morning dew. I walked stuff that I usually at least try to ride. When I stopped to take a pic, I took off my gloves. They were seriously as wet as if I had plunged my hands into a bucket of water.

    Still, I'll take a slick William's descent over washboard Rampart Range Rd any day.
    baker

  11. #11
    Team Inflexible
    Reputation: Jaydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,843
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    Beautiful but stuff was wickedly slick due to previous day's rain and the morning dew. I walked stuff that I usually at least try to ride. When I stopped to take a pic, I took off my gloves. They were seriously as wet as if I had plunged my hands into a bucket of water.

    Still, I'll take a slick William's descent over washboard Rampart Range Rd any day.
    Ha Ha .... there is that granite section by the punch bowls that are slicker than snot when dry. I cant imagine walking across there with your bike shoes when its wet.

  12. #12
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude
    Ha Ha .... there is that granite section by the punch bowls that are slicker than snot when dry. I cant imagine walking across there with your bike shoes when its wet.
    The previous time I rode Williams, I made a fairly serious attempt at that section. I came away thinking maybe I could do it sometime. This time, I could barely walk it and, upon further inspection, I don't think I could ever clear that section. I'm sure there are people who can do it, but I doubt I ever will. Getting to the water is ok, but then cleaning the up section and the following off-camber granite with a wet tire is just an unlikely proposition...
    baker

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,535
    Nice commute

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •