The Dog.

Long, dirt road climbs in southern front range

Alright, I give up. I know my way around the front range trails pretty well, but can't seem to find anything very good for cyclocross riding. You don't have to tell me that front range trails are very rocky. I'm not stupid, and I know this. I'm also willing to push the limits of my cyclocross bike quite far. The last time I went to Aspen I rode the trails exclusively on my cross bike. Heck, I've even ridden down Keystone mountain on my cross bike.

So far, I've really only come up with two areas that seem to be cross-friendly: South Valley Park and Bear Creek State Park. Unfortunately, both areas are pretty lacking in the way of mileage or climbing. Waterton canyon is ok...the dirt road climb is perfect and so is the location, but the singletrack gets a bit rough.

Really, I'm after long, dirt road climbs. Any ideas are much appreciated. Smooth singletrack is also ok.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Gold Camp Road in C. Springs has 9 miles of closed to traffic section and more miles if you want to get dusted sharing the road with society (or just ride the 9 twice).

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    smooth singletrack: Green Mountain, Buffalo Creek, Centennial Cone.

And you could just ride at West Mag's jeep roads with all the Texas wheelchair folk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You will love Buffalo Creek- I have seen a couple of Cross guys there.

I don't enjoy Green Mountain and its rounded loose extra-large ball bearings but I like Lair O The Bear a lot too- another good Cross trail, in my opinion with just a few rough sections.

Cent Cone and LOB are close. BC is an hour away but probably the best for Cross. Just avoid Tramway down- any of the others will work for you- Sandy Wash, Gas House, CO Trail, Shingle Mill, Buck Gulch, Homestead, Strawberry Jack, etc.

Just watch it- it's loose there so get used to the trails before getting too comfortable.

mtbr member
    ben, next time you're at bear creek, stop by the visitors center and ask to say hello to the head ranger (drew)... he's a big cross guy and trains quite a bit i think.

(tell him you were a volunteer at the "take a kid mtn biking day" event there).
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

The Dog.
    Thanks for all the fast replies.

I guess I should have specified...C. Springs is too far south.

Buff creek is a good suggestion. I've ridden and done trailwork there many times, but it never crossed my mind to do it with a cross bike. Sandy wash and even gashouse are pretty rutted after this year, so I'll probably avoid those.

The Cone is also a good suggestion, but just as long of a drive as buff creek for me.

Green mountain seems too rocky to me and LOB can be crowded as all hell.

West mag is also a good suggestion. My dad lives up Coal Creek Canyon, so I'm up there a fair bit.

Terry, I'll talk to Drew. Thanks for the contact.

skillz to pay billz
    rollins pass road from moffat
    switzerland trail

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    rollins pass road from moffat
    Yeah just don't post about your desire to do said route on said bike during said season.

skillz to pay billz
    it may be bone dry up there, there have only been dustings lately. West mag trees hardly have anything.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I think these two routes may suit your needs. Starting in Sunset or off of peak to peak.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...6127&z=13&om=1

The descent down Sugarloaf Mountain Rd. is pretty steep and loose, you may want to avoid it by coming down Pennsylvania Gulch Rd. (you may, but it may be worse, I haven't descended down that. It is also worth mentioning that there is a ton of singletrack branching off of these main roads which will give you singletrack options instead of staying on road. These appear to be trails cut by motos roaming through, so they are soft and sandy in parts, but this time of the year ought to be quite tasty).

Another option would be to head from Sunset to Salina, up to Gold Hill, then descend down Switzerland trail. Do a few laps. Or hook up with the route proposed above.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...6127&z=13&om=1

The downside is that you would deal with more traffic in Four Mile Canyon up to Gold Hill.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222
    Really, I'm after long, dirt road climbs. Any ideas are much appreciated. Smooth singletrack is also ok.
    Switzerland Trail (really a road) is a good one to do. My favorite route is up 4 Mile and follow the road as it bears left and head to Wall Street. Then climb the southern route of the Switzy trail to P2P Hwy (this is the side that faces north and gets icy and gnarly in the winter), turn around, back down to Wall St and up the North Side to Gold Hill. This is pretty rough on the cross bike going down, but it's doable if you take it slow.

ANother option is to head right at the Wall St. turnoff and go up Gold Run Road to Gold Hill. Take a quick drop down Lickskillet and climb back up (f-ing hard!). This route's a bit better for the cross bike.

These routes require some actual road riding, but there's lots of dirt and the climbs are long.

In Nederland you've got Rollins (as somebody else said) or Caribou's a nice long climb.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Tough ones

Start in Boulder and ride up Flagstaff to Gross Dam road where it turns to dirt. Ride Gross over to Coal Creek Canyon, then take Gap Road up to 119. Take 119 to Rollinsville, then take Rollins Pass Road to Tolland and head up to Apex. Loop around back to 119 and return.

That is a lot of climbing, and some of it is really steep. Granted, not all of it is dirt.

What about Oh My God from Idaho Springs to Central City? Guanella Pass from Georgetown to the summit?

mtbr member

It's been 7 years...

and this might be paved by now, but West Jackson Creek Road to Rampart Range Road from Highway 105 just west of Castle Rock might be what you're looking for. It is a good climb through redneckville and the "Brotherhood of the White Temple" always looked like a great tourist desination.

Enjoy,

TCN

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    and this might be paved by now, but West Jackson Creek Road to Rampart Range Road from Highway 105 just west of Castle Rock might be what you're looking for. It is a good climb through redneckville and the "Brotherhood of the White Temple" always looked like a great tourist desination.

Enjoy,

TCN
    If it is still unpaved, that sounds absolutely perfect. I'll hit it ASAP and report back.

skillz to pay billz
    sup doggy? Did I see your car at walker on sunday?

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    sup doggy? Did I see your car at walker on sunday?
    Yo yo. No, but I did see you driving up 72 as I was headed down from the dots circa 4:30.

What's up wit' you?

skillz to pay billz
    haha, I thought that was you, seriously though your twin was at walker, silver gti. Was looking for you on the loop. Have a good T day

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy

Enjoy,

TCN
    Rode this today. Excellent, hard climb. There were times when I was struggling to push my 34-27. Those who have ridden with me know what that means.

Unfortunately, the ride was tainted by two events. First, a giant dog chased me with teeth bared at 25 mph for a quarter mile. Luckily, he didn't see me on the way back, which was especially good given my hypothermic state. The storm moved in right as I summited. I sat in the car and cried for 10 minutes while my fingers defrosted. I've never had my core temperature drop so much. 30 minutes of full heat and full seat heaters did very little.

Anyway, those looking for a sweet dirt climb should hit this. First two miles are paved. Next many are not. Some washboard and some severe washboard. Climb is very steep at first then varies.

mtbr member
    Glad you found it to your liking. I'm not surprized about the dog as the people that live back there aren't the type that probably believe in leashes or dog runs.

TCN