Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Locally: Only Specialized tires? Terrible 26" tire selection?

Not really trying to rant here, maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

Why is it that all the local bike shops I've gone to lately have a terrible 26" tire selection? And the ones that do have a few options seem to have Specialized tires only? I mean, I know some of their tires are good, but what the hell? I can't even find some good Maxxis tires locally. I'm forced to buy them online. Anyone recommend a good shop with a nice 26" tire selection? Seriously disappointed in the options. I mean, I know you can't expect bike shops to stock everything, but a good tire selection is something I'd expect all local bike shops to have. There are times when you want to see and feel before you buy, and I don't want to have to pay up front and special order it in for something I might decide isn't the right size, tread pattern, or compound.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Go over the Obstacles, Not around them.

mtbr member
    I'd never even heard of that place. Thanks, I'll have to check it out. It's not too far from my house too, so that's a bonus.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Pedal Pushers has a decent stock as well.

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Middle of the season, rubber is becoming a bit more scarce.
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonvelocity View Post
    Middle of the season, rubber is becoming a bit more scarce.
    Yeah, too bad my tires don't pick better times to spontaneously explode a sidewall.

Also, most shops seem to have a ton of 29er tires, but just not much 26" stock, which is disappointing.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Call Golden Bike Shop and see if they have what you need. Last time I was in there, they had a decent selection of tires including Maxxis. It was a few months ago though.

I'm with stupid

Locally: Only Specialized tires? Terrible 26" tire selection?

Didn't you know 26" wheels are soooooo 2012, no wonder they are not stocked anywhere. Who wants to ride, let alone buy the old junk. Might have to go check out goodwill here pretty soon for 26" tire and wheel parts.....

I tapped that

Front Range, Colorado
    It's no wonder people more and mote buy online. "Moat shop's" these day's don't carry a good selection of quality brand's / variety of anything.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Salvagetti has Conti and quite a few other brands, Mojo carries Maxxis, Singletrack Factory has Schwalbe and some others. Golden also has a variety. Even the Bike Source off Wadsworth has Maxxis a few Conti's and Schwalbe's plus all the Specialized anyone could ever want. Where have you tried so far?
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    It's no wonder people more and mote buy online. "Moat shop's" these day's don't carry a good selection of quality brand's / variety of anything.
    I was forced to buy a new, 740mm lo-rise handlebar online... For full MSRP. I got tired of calling shops in Denver.

Mojo was the only shop that had wide bars and they only tried to upsell me to carbon (which they didn't have in stock).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonblur View Post
    Salvagetti has Conti and quite a few other brands, Mojo carries Maxxis, Singletrack Factory has Schwalbe and some others. Golden also has a variety. Even the Bike Source off Wadsworth has Maxxis a few Conti's and Schwalbe's plus all the Specialized anyone could ever want. Where have you tried so far?
    Mojo doesn't have any hardly any Maxxis tires right now and none of the ones I wanted. They had a bunch of Specialized tires. I called them. Trust me I've tried a bunch of shops on phone and in store, even Wilderness Sports in Frisco when we stopped for breakfast on the way back from Copper this weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Didn't you know 26" wheels are soooooo 2012, no wonder they are not stocked anywhere. Who wants to ride, let alone buy the old junk. Might have to go check out goodwill here pretty soon for 26" tire and wheel parts.....

I tapped that
    Haha. Funny I checked another shop today and all they could talk about was getting 650B tires in even though they didn't have a single 650 bike for sale and I've only seen 2 on the trail so far this season. I was asking for 26 too and never mentioned I even wanted 650B tires.

LMB

ride
    What tires are you looking for?
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    What tires are you looking for?
    Ideally...
    Maxxis High Roller II Tubeless Ready EXO
    26X2.30 ( 58-559 ) Black 60 FOLDABLE 835 DUAL 60 EXO/TR

or
    Maxxis Minion DHR II Tubeless Ready EXO
    26X2.30 ( 58-559 ) Black 60 FOLDABLE 780 DUAL 60 EXO/TR

But at this point I'd probably even settle for an original UST High Roller if someone had one in the shop.
    26X2.35 ( 52-559 ) Black 120 FOLDABLE 900 DUAL 60 LUST/UST

I needed a tire sooner rather than later so I put a 2.35 UST Ignitor on the rear, and it's OK, but doesn't have the cornering grip I'd like. It's not terrible, so I'm running it for now and getting used to it.

Basically, I need a good hard cornering aggressive tire for the rear that has good sidewall protection cause I've sliced a few other weaker tires lately. After trying a lot of different tires/brands and getting burned on some, I think it's just time to go back to Maxxis because I've never had an issue with them on my downhill bike and like the way they ride.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Mojo doesn't have any hardly any Maxxis tires right now and none of the ones I wanted. They had a bunch of Specialized tires. I called them. Trust me I've tried a bunch of shops on phone and in store, even Wilderness Sports in Frisco when we stopped for breakfast on the way back from Copper this weekend.

Sorry man, that's frustrating. I generally end up ordering tires since the shops rarely tend to stock what I want or they are so far out of my normal driving habits its not worth the time for me to drive out to where they are.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I think with the wide variety of tires and combined with everyone's specific tastes it can be hard for the local shop to stock every single one. I'd think most would have at least Continental (Trail King), Maxxis HR2, Schwalbe Hans Dampf at least. I've tried several kinds so far I like the Trail King on the rear and Hans Dampf on the front for the local trails.

Maybe its hard to beat some of the online pricing for some of the more expensively priced brands? There's also Colorado Cyclist in Colorado Springs but that's probably more of a trip for you.

-dx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digktialx View Post
    I think with the wide variety of tires and combined with everyone's specific tastes it can be hard for the local shop to stock every single one. I'd think most would have at least Continental (Trail King), Maxxis HR2, Schwalbe Hans Dampf at least. I've tried several kinds so far I like the Trail King on the rear and Hans Dampf on the front for the local trails.

Maybe its hard to beat some of the online pricing for some of the more expensively priced brands? There's also Colorado Cyclist in Colorado Springs but that's probably more of a trip for you.

-dx
    Yeah well, even the stores that had Conti Trail Kings had the non-protection, non-tubeless versions. It's frustrating. I can find tires, just not the GOOD ones I want. They're all either lightweight XC tires or Specialized Tires. The Purgatory is alright, but nothing special. I had a tire with a slashed sidewall and needed a tire quickly before the weekend so online wasn't an option. I had to use what I could find, but I'm not completely happy with it. It'll be going on the girlfriend's bike since she's not aggressive or fast downhill. I ended up ordering the tire I want online. I can't spend anymore time calling around or visiting different shops, especially the ones that close at 6 before I can make it there after work.

BTW, I had a terrible experience with the Hans Dampf so I won't be using it. Anyone want to buy an excellent condition 2.35 TrailStar Snakeskin Hans Dampf only used for 2 rides? Pricey tire, but definitely not for me. I'll give someone a good deal on it just to get it out of my garage.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm no LBS expert but it seems like for the Front Range more people would want the tubeless versions of those tires. I mean goat heads are a real problem out here! I grabbed a HD for the front I like it took it to Ridgeline last weekend for the break in test worked out pretty well. I did have to go to 20 PSI to really get a better contact patch. Let me know what your thinking of selling for god knows if I blow one up it's not going to be easy to find a LBS that has one . I started off with those XC tires myself they roll fast but I find the lack of high volume makes them a bit uncomfortable for long rocky descents.

-dx

650b me
    Hell, maybe it's time to open a 'tires only' bike shop in Denver. I know the local shops try to stock a little of everything. That's the problem - a "little" of everything. Maybe Denver needs fewer shops that try to be everything to everyone and more specialty/niche shops. Hmmm...

mtbr member
    Plan ahead, buy two of the same tires. Then you can order one and still ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Plan ahead, buy two of the same tires. Then you can order one and still ride.
    Sounds like a good idea from here on out...especially with bike shops soon having to stock 3 tire sizes. I should probably just start stockpiling 26" rubber.
    LMB

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    BTW, I had a terrible experience with the Hans Dampf so I won't be using it. Anyone want to buy an excellent condition 2.35 TrailStar Snakeskin Hans Dampf only used for 2 rides? Pricey tire, but definitely not for me. I'll give someone a good deal on it just to get it out of my garage.
    Try clipping off all the intermediate knobs. I've got a couple friends who are tire nerds and this is what they're doing with the Dampf, and word is doing this makes it go from really mediocre to really pretty damn awesome.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Try clipping off all the intermediate knobs. I've got a couple friends who are tire nerds and this is what they're doing with the Dampf, and word is doing this makes it go from really mediocre to really pretty damn awesome.
    That is until you lean it over a lot and peel the knob off the casting or it gets super undercut.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Full Cycle in Boulder had a good selection of Maxxis 26" in stock last time I looked (which, granted, was a couple of months ago). They seem to have more of the stuff I need in stock at any given moment than most of the other local shops.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast