Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MFin' Princess

Local Trail Conditions

This sticky has been established in order to quickly post and find information on local trail conditions this winter. If you'd like to participate after riding a trail please reply to this thread providing any information you have, and including the trail name in the title.

Hopefully this will help us all more easily find ridable trails this winter, and help keep riders from unnecessarily driving out and riding in adverse trail conditions. Happy riders, less trail damage. It's a good thing.

Are your pants fresh?

Apex/Chimney Gulch

As of this afternoon, there were still wet/snowy spots with a bit of mud on mid-upper Apex, around the Enchanted Forest (didn't go in, just passed right by). Slushy and muddy in spots, should dry out a little tomorrow. Chimney Gulch was for the most part dry, with a few wet spots, but nothing slushy at all. Where'd everybody else ride?

FP

MFin' Princess

Hall Ranch

With the rest of the people on the planet. The good news is it was dry as a bone.

Thanks Freshpants, for replying. That's another reason to get something like this going. It will hopefully keep everybody from descending upon the same trails. MW and Hall always dry first, and get the most traffic. Maybe by sharing this information we can all spread out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Freshpants
    As of this afternoon, there were still wet/snowy spots with a bit of mud on mid-upper Apex, around the Enchanted Forest (didn't go in, just passed right by). Slushy and muddy in spots, should dry out a little tomorrow. Chimney Gulch was for the most part dry, with a few wet spots, but nothing slushy at all. Where'd everybody else ride?

FP

Now Uploading
    Lair O' The Bear's Bear Creek Trail was muddy, slushy and wet in places today. No quagmire, but probably best left to dry. In the dry areas, which was most of it, traction was superb.

Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

Trail rider and racer
    Thanks CraigH

I was just about to PM you to make it a sticky.

Trevor!
    Trev!

MFin' Princess

Rode Dakota Ridge / MW

From s1ngletrack and dbabuser: Rode Dakota Ridge / MW yesterday - it's good except for Morrison Slide

MFin' Princess

Chimney Gulch to Lookout Mtn

From Jdub: Still had some snow on the top 1/2 and was getting a little muddy in parts on the way back down, but certainly rideable.

MFin' Princess

Mt. Falcon

From rapwithtom: Great! A few snow patches, all rideable...rode up Castle, did Parmalee, Old ute Trail, Devil's Elbow Trail...how often do you get sunny and 70 while you are riding through snow in shorts? Seriously, not more than 100 yards of snow for all the riding...a little standing water and a little mud also, but generally great! Remember, stay on the trail, ride through mud and water, do not widen the trail!

MFin' Princess

Deer Creek

From spincycle: Rode Deer creek today ,mud and snow upto meadowlark trail then soild slush/snow/mud up to red mesa trail , red mesa in pretty dry.

MFin' Princess

Fyi

Hey guys (singletrack, dbabuser, rapwithtom and spincycle):

I hope you don't mind me cutting and pasting your trail reports here. I just wanted to make F70 had all information in one place. If we can get a lot of information within this sticky, it'll be nice to be able to open it throughout the winter, switch the Display Mode to "Linear," and easily get the most up to date reports.

I'm riding Apex today and will provide a report later ...

Card Carrying Member
    The Boulder Creek Path is in great shape.

Perpetually single track
    Thanks KW, I wasn't sure, and I've really been meaning to hit that up for the last few weeks. Good to know I won't do any damage today.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

Buffalo Creek - 11/06/04

We rode Strawberry, Baldy, Gashouse, Buck, Millers, and who know what other loops from Pine Valley yesterday and it was all in good shape.

MFin' Princess

Apex ... better than you think ...

The only real snow to be found on Apex is on the Apex trail, in small segments, mostly past the Sluice Box Junction. Enchanted is perfect, not only dry, but way tacky -- get yo' self some while the gettin's good!! Grubstake's awesome too. Work this one in before the snow flies if you can ...

MFin' Princess

Chimney Gulch

Good to go. One very short (30') segment of snow. Awesome.

MFin' Princess

Walker Ranch

Very dry and good to go. Based on friend's report.

Bad Case of the Mondays

Devil's Backbone

Very dry and loose. Good riding today, lots of hikers but only a couple of bikers.

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Thanks KW, I wasn't sure, and I've really been meaning to hit that up for the last few weeks. Good to know I won't do any damage today.
    No problem, just wanted to let all the radcore peeps know it's good to shred. Just a word of warning though... If you go by way of Skunk Creek, watch out for the dead squirrell in the middle of the path, near the junction.

I hear that Community Ditch is still in play too, but with only 6" of travel I'm afraid to ride it.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    I hear that Community Ditch is still in play too, but with only 6" of travel I'm afraid to ride it.
    There's no reason to speak of the goods on a public forum buddy. Shhhh.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    There's no reason to speak of the goods on a public forum buddy. Shhhh.
    Hey, it's not like I gave driving directions.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Palmer horse poo report:
    greasy to chunky conditions

mtbr member

White Ranch

Rode up to the fork, down lower mustang, then back down belcher to the lower lot yesterday. There was a little mud on the lower parts, especially around the creek, but everything else was good.

mtbr member

Good job!

White Ranch:
    As of yesterday (Sunday 7 Nov, @ 4,00)
    Some snow and ice on portions of Maverick as well as Belcher just below the upper parking lot. Lower Mustang like F.E. said great shape. Round-up it's fine and the portion of Belcher above the Sawmill cutoff is in excellent shape too.
    The rock garden at the bottom is dry and dusty and in the dark a bit of a challenge

As a side note I made it to the Sawmill cut off with only one stop.

Anyone ride Bergen Peak lately?

crashes in parkinglot
    Me thinks there needs to be a better way to do this (the sticky). Maybe a weekly sticky w/ the dates or something, so that by the end of the winter (december being my guess ) we don't have a 4K reply post that needs to be weeded through just to see if Hall is rideable.

Perpetually single track
    Honestly, a FR website would be ideal, not to unsimilar to what Dave has going on at redstone.

http://www.redstonecyclery.com/BLtrailcond.htm

Something clearcut, with a listing of all the trails ONCE, and the most recent condition next to them. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd offer to host it. Actually I take it back...I'll offer to host it, if some other slacker offers to edit it on regular basis. I'll give them FTP access to my site...(Kitchen...you out there).
    Last edited by ibmkidIII; 11-08-2004 at 09:43 PM.

contains quinine
    Honestly, a FR website would be ideal, not to unsimilar to what Dave has going on at redstone.

Something clearcut, with a listing of all the trails ONCE, and the most condition next to them.

Yeah, I pretty much go there for anything remotely close to Boulder/Lyons, which of course, is pretty close to what I usually ride.
    Last edited by Debaser; 11-08-2004 at 09:47 PM.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

MFin' Princess
    I agree, to combat that I've just been switching to linear mode, scrolling down to the bottom and reading only the most recent posts. Perhaps there's a way the moderator can make this thread sort in descending order so that the most recent posts at the top. Do you think that solution would work? Or is there another way you'd suggest to modify it?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed
    Me thinks there needs to be a better way to do this (the sticky). Maybe a weekly sticky w/ the dates or something, so that by the end of the winter (december being my guess ) we don't have a 4K reply post that needs to be weeded through just to see if Hall is rideable.

Bad Case of the Mondays

Something clearcut, with a listing of all the trails ONCE, and the most recent condition next to them. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd offer to host it. Actually I take it back...I'll offer to host it, if some other slacker offers to edit it on regular basis. I'll give them FTP access to my site...(Kitchen...you out there).
    I could throw together a quick database driven website that would be updateable via the web, so anyone with local trail conditions could go to a page, enter the trail condition and throw a timestamp on there.

Probably won't be pretty but it would work. I don't currently have any hosting space anymore, but if someone wanted to host it, I'd build it.

Perpetually single track
    How big we talking? I could spare maybe 100 meg or so. And what would drive it? Mysql? I use yahoo small bus., so only have a handful of choices for the backend. Assuming we could settle on that, I could host it, then we could ask for a link in the right hand corner of this page.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    How big we talking? I could spare maybe 100 meg or so. And what would drive it? Mysql? I use yahoo small bus., so only have a handful of choices for the backend. Assuming we could settle on that, I could host it, then we could ask for a link in the right hand corner of this page.
    No I'm talking like it would probably be under 10MB. The database is tiny (I typically use MS Access unles MS SQL Server is available) and I don't plan on doing a ton of fancy graphics.

Real simple vision would be a list of trails, click on a trail and see the latest conditions updates to that trail. I think I'd probably put a password on the posting of trail conditions to keep the 4th graders from posting crap, but it would allow everyone on here to post updates when they ride trails. The big thing to me is if I do this I want it to be able to be very little administration from any of us, but provide good information as to where to ride.

Perpetually single track
    Hmm...I take it back, it looks like I don't have access to MYSql at my acct level(or perl for that matter). I'm not sure how you'd access a DB w/o having something supported on the backend...but I don't know much about MS Access.

At some point I'm sure I'll be upgrading to the level that has MySQL...just not anytime soon. I was looking at the db access stuff. Looks pretty easy to write up a couple perl scripts to intereact with the DB, and create web pages on the fly.

MFin' Princess

Fyi

Hey guys, thanks for your ideas on this. Just an FYI: In the meantime I'm working to see if this thread can default to sort in descending order by date, and automatically delete posts over 3 weeks old. If this isn't possible perhaps one of us (I'm happy to do it) be granted some type of moderator access to manage the thread, deleting old information.

Hope to ride with ya'll sometime. I'll have info on Bergen and Alderfer later tonight ...

Hmm...I take it back, it looks like I don't have access to MYSql at my acct level(or perl for that matter). I'm not sure how you'd access a DB w/o having something supported on the backend...but I don't know much about MS Access.

At some point I'm sure I'll be upgrading to the level that has MySQL...just not anytime soon. I was looking at the db access stuff. Looks pretty easy to write up a couple perl scripts to intereact with the DB, and create web pages on the fly.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15
    Hey guys, thanks for your ideas on this. Just an FYI: In the meantime I'm working to see if this thread can default to sort in descending order by date, and automatically delete posts over 3 weeks old. If this isn't possible perhaps one of us (I'm happy to do it) be granted some type of moderator access to manage the thread, deleting old information.

Hope to ride with ya'll sometime. I'll have info on Bergen and Alderfer later tonight ...

Sounds good to me. I might have a place where I can stick this small website if we need, won't be a pretty url but it should work. I'll see about throwing together a small database tonight and see how the theory works in reality. It may be more trouble than its worth, but I enjoy tinkering with things like this. Plus the weather looks crappy for the next couple days so I won't be riding as much...

MFin' Princess

Bergen Peak (and Alderfer)

Good to go! Bergen only has about 1/2" of snow just before and just after the last two switchbacks near the Scenic View sign on at the top of the Bergen Peak Trail. Alderfer's good too! Some of you lucky sumbiotches might just be able to get one of these two trails before the weather comes in tomorrow ... have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Sounds good to me. I might have a place where I can stick this small website if we need, won't be a pretty url but it should work. I'll see about throwing together a small database tonight and see how the theory works in reality. It may be more trouble than its worth, but I enjoy tinkering with things like this. Plus the weather looks crappy for the next couple days so I won't be riding as much...
    Thanks Jdub! Looking forward to getting any system that works.

ride

Something clearcut, with a listing of all the trails ONCE, and the most recent condition next to them.
    Thanks Kirk. If anyone notices on that page if something is way out of whack, or just wants to give me a heads up on some trail conditions, shoot me an email. I'll take all the help I can get on it and will update it daily if necessary. dave@redstonecyclery.com

dave
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

MFin' Princess

Mt. Falcon 11/14/04

East side trails closed, scheduled to reopen Monday, November 15. Call 303 271 5975 Jeffco Trail Hotline for up to date info.
    Last edited by TVC15; 11-14-2004 at 02:27 PM.

MFin' Princess

White Ranch

East side trails closed, scheduled to reopen Monday, November 15. Call 303 271 5975 Jeffco Trail Hotline for up to date info.

MFin' Princess

Green Mountain 11/14/04

Good to go.

MFin' Princess

Matthews Winters

OK, but not quite ready for prime time due to mud on north facing trails on Red Rocks trail.

MFin' Princess

Chimney Gulch 11/14/04

Damp and snowy at top, but not muddy and very ridable.

ride
    Pretty much everything under 8000' is ready to go up in the north country - ie, northern Boulder County. Watch out for Heil, though. The road and lower trail to the bridge is all clay and retains moisture longer than about anywhere else.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

MFin' Princess

Alderfer / Three Sisters

All Sisters side trails dry. Evergreen Mountain trails have about 1/2" of snow on them, but just slushy, very ridable and in very good condition.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Very dry and good to go. Based on friend's report.
    Did a loop at Walker this afternoon, 99% great condition.

MK_
    carpe mañana

Swiki

How about a you use a swiki for the website. It is designed so that anyone can update any part of the website, and to my understanding is very easy to set up. The server space is still an issue, however, but at least the time consuming process of setting up a database driven website should be removed. Either way, I think it is a brilliant idea to have some place where people update the conditions. This will not only be useful for the winter, but also for the early spring. Just my 2¢.

_MK

MFin' Princess

White Ranch 11/16/04

All trails open and good to go. In fact, I had to look for mud, only found it on the steep part of Belcher Hill that leads to Mustang, and down Mustang's water bars. Everything else is dry. Awesome riding. Counted no less than 14 deer. They're all mated up. It's soooo cute.

Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    How about a you use a swiki for the website. It is designed so that anyone can update any part of the website, and to my understanding is very easy to set up. The server space is still an issue, however, but at least the time consuming process of setting up a database driven website should be removed. Either way, I think it is a brilliant idea to have some place where people update the conditions. This will not only be useful for the winter, but also for the early spring. Just my 2?.

_MK
    Great idea, but over my head. I'll post updates anywhere. I just want a place where anyone can post a condition and that doesn't rely on someone to post up the information. Sh*t happens, vacations happen, people get busy. No middle men is always a good idea. PS: I am working to obtain moderator-type access so that I can just manage this thread, deleting outdated information after snow storms, so we'd just start fresh every few weeks. Gregg, the administrator is considering it, so wish me luck. If that's possible, mtbr may be the easiest site to post up the information. We're all here anyway ... too much so ...

ride
    I just want a place where anyone can post a condition and that doesn't rely on someone to post up the information.
    http://www.boa-mtb.org/trailreport/

Exactly what you're looking for for but, since it's BOA, it's all Boulder area trails. Not much user interaction, though.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

MFin' Princess
    Excellent. WTF doesn't Jeffco do this? Anybody? God knows they have the money. I'm happy to submit the idea but wouldn't expect it to be built this decade.

Edit: I just emailed the idea with that link to T. Rock (Jeffco's Community Relations Director) and B Silver (their webmaster). If I even get a response I'll keel over from shock.

Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    http://www.boa-mtb.org/trailreport/

Exactly what you're looking for for but, since it's BOA, it's all Boulder area trails. Not much user interaction, though.
    Last edited by TVC15; 11-17-2004 at 04:30 PM.

old skool newbie

as good as it gets

Excellent. WTF doesn't Jeffco do this? Anybody? God knows they have the money. I'm happy to submit the idea but wouldn't expect it to be built this decade.

Edit: I just emailed the idea with that link to T. Rock (Jeffco's Community Relations Director) and B Silver (their webmaster). If I even get a response I'll keel over from shock.
    The link below will tell if its closed to mud, thats about as good as it gets for our world class JeffCo trail system...

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/ext/dp...c/trlscond.htm

Perpetually single track
    The difference there is one is BOA. BOA is NOT related to the gobment. There is no such organization to my knowledge in the Jeffco area...least one with the prescense as BOA. There's TCS, but I can't even sign up to me a member of that organization.

MFin' Princess

Keeling over from shock ...

Got a response from Jeffco. Not that it helps, but a reply is a reply ...

Thanks for your input. We agree, keeping a running update of current
    trail conditions would surely help the park visitor but worry that
    having an accurate update of hundreds of trails thoughtout our park
    system on a weekly basic might prove to be a challenge. We are about
    to enhance our trail conditions web page though, to include more trail
    information in addition to muddy trail closures and "new trail" news.

Thanks,
    Bridgit Silver

In the meantime, I have about 3 weeks of vacation to waste between now and the end of the year. I plan on utilizing it doing local trail condition reconnaissance, and will post any and all helpful information here ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast