mtbr member

Local Powdercoaters?

Anyone know a good(hopefully inexpensive) place to get a frame powdercoated? Thought about just painting it myself but have heard that it isn't too much $$ to get it pc'd. I am located south Aurora/N. Parker if that helps.

Not just famous; infamous

Spectrum Powder Works

They're in the Springs. There may be closer PC'ers, but Sepectrum is susposed to be one of the best. I think (as in I've heard it from a friend of a friend, etc) that they do the PC work for Titus and some other biking companies. Check out their site. It's not the coolest site out there, but there's some nice pix of their work.

www.spectrumpowderworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger
    Anyone know a good(hopefully inexpensive) place to get a frame powdercoated? Thought about just painting it myself but have heard that it isn't too much $$ to get it pc'd. I am located south Aurora/N. Parker if that helps.

Bodhisattva
    Yup. Spectrum.
    I haven't used them myself but their website is full of beautiful examples & those who have done it have posted very favorably.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluchs
    wow. nice work, but damn that ain't cheap. $140 for single color which does not include strippign the frame. Too bad the frame in question isn't worth the cost.

user-created

Another vote for Spectrum!

They do all the powder coat for Edge Cycles out here. The paint lasts a lot longer than the rest of the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    They do all the powder coat for Edge Cycles out here. The paint lasts a lot longer than the rest of the bike.
    Yeah they look great but this is a 7 yr old steel frame that only has sentimental value to me. I was hoping for the $50-$60 range. Single basic color no frills type of job.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!

Spectrum...

Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger
    Yeah they look great but this is a 7 yr old steel frame that only has sentimental value to me. I was hoping for the $50-$60 range. Single basic color no frills type of job.

Are you willing to compromise slightly on color? Are you in a hurry? If you are willing to wait until Spectrum has some time and happens to have some extra powder in the gun that is close to the color you want, you might be able to get a price reduction for your flexibility. I have a friend who did this with his singlespeed. I don't remember how much he paid and I don't know if Mark is busy to the point now where he is willing to give a break for flexibility (I highly doubt he is at the moment with the Interbike rush) but it can't hurt to ask.

I have had three powdercoated bikes--two Santa Cruzs done by Kenesis and my hardtail done by Spectrum. After seeing the durability of the Santa Cruz (Kenesis) jobs, I was kinda down on powder but after 5 years (!), my hardtail still looks fantastic. I can't recommend them highly enough. If Spectrum is still too expensive, I would reconsider powdercoating and do wet paint based on my non-Spectrum powder experiences (of course your actual milage might vary...).

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Kristian. I think I will give them a call and ask about some "flexible" options. I really just need a flat black. Nothing special. I may end up with a rattlecan job as it will be just a project bike but don't want to have to do it twice due to chipping and what not. I am flexible on time as the rear wheel hasn't even been built yet and I am not supposed to riding yet due to this broken c-bone.