DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Local powdercoater?

Ok, so I'm having Walt build me up a sweet steel 29er frankenstein bike and I gotta get it painted. He can have someone do a single color for cheap - included in his price. Or I can knock a $100 or so off and take it naked and then have someone else do it. I'd like to have it painted two colors - ideally do one side one color (say orange) and the other half baby blue so it looks totally different from the left side to the right (like some of the old Fat Chances!) but if that's too complicated then I may just do the front triangle one color and the rear a second. Now the key here is that I don't want to spend a ton and wait a couple months to have Spectrum do it. Does anyone know anyone around here who'll do something like that (not too complicated I don't think) for a reasonable amount of $$$ in a reasonable amount of time? Preferably Denver or north vs. hauling down to C Springs. If not, I'll just stick to the standard single color. I've never cared too much about color, but I've never had an unlimited selection to choose from! Thanks, S

Moderator Moderator
    Give Shane Connors at Premium Powder Coating a call- 303.434.1484

He's located in Longmont.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

locked - time out
    Try calling Denver Bumper - they powdercoated my old Fat Chance (what a coincidence) for $65 (included sandblasting) - but they only did a single color, and this was 10 years ago, so you'll have to call them and see if they'll still do this sort of thing. They are the guys right off of I-25 who have the big sculpture of a horse(?) made out of bumpers.

Feeding your addiction
    Spectrum is actually pretty much caught up right now. I just gave them the info for my new Sycip last week and they called yesterday to say it's done. Not cheap, but they are actually quite reasonable for the quality of work. Might try Mark Nobilette also (http://www.nobilettecycles.com/ ).
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks guys. I got a quote from Spectrum on the split - $450. Yikes! Their two color fade is a relative deal at $240! They also said a 3 week turnaround. I assume that's from when they get the frame. Anyway I'll check some of the others.

Is that a Sycip SS Larry? Nice. S

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    Thanks guys. I got a quote from Spectrum on the split - $450. Yikes! Their two color fade is a relative deal at $240! They also said a 3 week turnaround. I assume that's from when they get the frame. Anyway I'll check some of the others.

Is that a Sycip SS Larry? Nice. S
    Yeah, custom Sycip Diesel with custom segmented rigid fork. Can't wait.
    Larry
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Nice. S

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Orange and blue? Are you sure? Sorry to keep bagging on your colors!

Whatever color you choose, Spectrum does crazy-good work. That said, I would never pay $400 for something I know is there to be scratch and crashed and mangled. And yes, it's 3 weeks (or what have you) from when they RECEIVE the frame - don't ask me why, that's just how it is.

If you want, I do a mean rattle-can... I can recommend some pretty durable clearcoats, too - I've tried a few, and settled on a pretty good one (it's nowhere near a PC, but good for $3).

I went to see Walt today. Things are looking up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Perpetually single track
    Tell me again why your wasting your time going to school? Painting frames, and cutting bashguards....soon enough you'll be building your own frames and I'll be begging you for a position as torch temperature inspector because my job blows monkey chunks...

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Man, and that's the exact orange and blue I was thinking! It must've been in my subconscious from seeing that thing on the trails or in a post or something...

So how do you work the rattle can?! Spray on bare metal, let it dry and then clearcoat over? Think I could "split" my top, down and headtube that way?! The other thing I considered was just clearcoating the raw steel but Walt said he tried it and it didn't work for some reason. In the end I'll just settle on ho-hum black. We'll see. S

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    Man, and that's the exact orange and blue I was thinking! It must've been in my subconscious from seeing that thing on the trails or in a post or something...

So how do you work the rattle can?! Spray on bare metal, let it dry and then clearcoat over? Think I could "split" my top, down and headtube that way?! The other thing I considered was just clearcoating the raw steel but Walt said he tried it and it didn't work for some reason. In the end I'll just settle on ho-hum black. We'll see. S
    The orange and blue job is NOT mine - that's Spectrum's art. I wish I could do that in my garage!

That said, I do know a good blue, and there's probably an equally muted orange in the same line of paints. (You'll laugh when you see the brand - it's not Martha Stewart, but it's close.)

You need to sand or wire brush (preferred) the frame before coating it WELL with primer. The more primer you can stand, the better (up to a point, obviously). Primer application is critical - if it goes on smooth, you're in like flint; if you goop it up, it'll never go away. Then spray your colors. The key here is moderation - get everything covered up opaquely, and then quit. Allow as long a dry time as you can stand, and then clearcoat. Clearcoat is about as critical as the primer - the big problem here is primer particles that dry in the air and fall onto the wet frame, leaving a sort of sandy finish. We can talk all this over for real if you want. It's not too hard, but practice helps.

The other critical factor is a good respirator. You don't want any air currents around your frame (unless it's filtered and dust-free), so you have to do it in a closed up space...which makes for some pretty scary boogers, if you catch my drift. Oh, yeah, and be prepared to have everything in said space covered in a thick dust of overspray.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Hmmm... sounds like something I'd really f up. It reminds me of my model airplane days as a kid when my friends' planes looked bad@ss and mine was a freaking glueball of nastiness. I think I'm back to having Walt's powdercoater do it single color for $90. And it'll probably be black. Maybe a dark grey if I'm feeling kinda nutty.

Saw you asking about fork lengths in the 29er forum. You got the bug too huh? I'm psyched to have sold the Ventana and at least made this a net positive cashflow project... at least for now. S