Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Local Powder Coater (revisited)

964 views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  mihurka 
#1 ·
I posted several weeks ago about local area powder coaters. Spectrum definitely won the popular vote and I can see why. Damn beautiful work. However since I was looking for no frills I didn't want to shell out $140 on a single coat single color. Someone mentioned that Denver Bumper did their frame 10 yrs ago for $65. I am happy to say that there price is still $65. That includes sand blast and frame prep. I dropped it off on Thursday and picked it up the following tuesday morning. Not bad. Anyway if you are looking to get it done cheap and basic they are probably the way to go.

See less See more
#6 ·
Jdub said:
Looks good from the pic, how is the quality up close?

Man I don't know how you guys ride Singlespeeds around here. I could make a SS, but it would have to be 22x32 in order for me to get up anything.
Quality is pretty darn flawless even up close. Only blemish is a spot I scratched up a bit using a sanding bit on a dremel tool. Yeah, bad idea. Other than that and a little over spray on the head tube(had it faced) I have zero complaints.

#8 ·
Jdub said:
Looks good from the pic, how is the quality up close?

Man I don't know how you guys ride Singlespeeds around here. I could make a SS, but it would have to be 22x32 in order for me to get up anything.
I'm gonna find out soon, I just SSed my Chase 34-17T. Rode it to the ATM the other night and felt like I was riding uphill both ways. It is built kind of heavy though, even for an urban bike. More power to you guys cranking up the mountain singletrack. I'm gonna try it, but something tells me that the Hookworms will go back on that bike if I keep it a single speed.

Cheers,

Dave

#11 ·
bpatterson6 said:
What about stripping the paint and going with Ball Burnished? I love Silver Frames...
I was thinking of having an assortment of smaller parts anodized, like brake levers, derailure hangers and some other misc. parts. I know of a place in California (that does the Fox anodizing) that will do a box of stuff in one color for a certain price. They do frames too. I have to dig back to find that info. I was hoping to have this done locally though, if anyone comes across a local anodizer, please let us know. Thanks.

Cheers,

Dave

#12 ·
There's a post in General Discussion on home anodizing. It involves acid, food coloring, a car battery and rubber gloves. Oh, and someone mentioned something about good ventilation and being careful with the car battery. ;)

By the way, Denver Bumper will also PC a fork (rigid) for $25 in case anyone is interested. S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.