PDB
    SUFD

Little Vail Help? Two Elks Trail?

Howdy,

Looking for a little advice or help with trails in the Vail area.
    I'm a typical front range rider (I like technical rocky stuff, and longer high country epics) - but have a buddy coming in from Seattle (rides alot of BC trails). We'll be hanging out in Vail for a few days, and are looking for some decent trails nearby that won't take the entire day (few hours). Single track is a must - Technical and/ fast descents are good - but killer climbs (steep) are not (he's from low altitude).
    I've heard that Two Elks trail may fit the bill - but haven't been able to find decent directions. Anyone have any map suggestions? Done this yourselves?
    I'd like to hear any suggestions you have!

Thanks!
    Want to go green? Want to be low impact?
    Buy 2nd Hand Products!

mtbr member

vail map

never rode vail but latitude 40 maps have always been good to me. you probably can find this one in any bike shop or camping stores.
    http://latitude40maps.com/detailmaps/vailmap.html
    have fun

mtbr member
    Two Elk might take you all day or the better part of the day if you are riding it as a loop, and it has a huge climb up to the top of Vail, it's all service road though. If you are dead set on doing it you might want to consider a shuttle if your friend is not used to the altitude. Shorter rides I would recommend in the area are Lost Lake/Buffehr creek/North Trails, Son of Middle Creek, and Meadow Mountain. They all have long uphills that are on service/four wheel drive roads, but the singletrack down is fantastic. Meadow Mountain is one of my all time favorites. I have the sky terrain map and it's very good, I'm sure the lat 40 is a good map also.

PDB
    SUFD
    Koko -
    I guess I should have mentioned that I was leaning towards shuttling the Two Elk ride - maybe tooling around up top, then descending to Minturn... but I have no idea how much time this kind of ride will consume...
    I'm gonna pick up a lat 40 map during lunch - maybe this will helps a bit.
    Thanks!!
    Buy 2nd Hand Products!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I rode from vail pass to vail to minturn this weekend. Took four hours. There is one difficult climb from bowmans trailhead that takes about 45 minutes. An alternate route would be taking the chair/gondola up vail and then riding the grand traverse trail and then into minturn.

Want to vent?
    Me and a couple buddies did two elks sunday...its a great ride....but the altitude kicks in on the climbs being in the 11000 ft range for a bit. And the climbs are not long or sustained - but short and steep by my standards. But then after about 4 miles or so its pretty much all downhill for the entire 14 miles? back to the parking lot in Minturn....

The ride took around 4 hours with us even breaking to eat and fix a derailleur hangar. And that was even shuttling the ride and leaving one vehicle in Minturn and starting from the upper parking lot off of the dirt road off of vail pass.

Not a super technical ride but it has speed and some challenging rocky spots.

Excellent ride though.
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

PDB
    SUFD
    thanks for the info - very helpful!
    Any more "technical" options in the same area? something with a LONG descent, some good technical spots? We're both DH'rs that have converted to "all-mountain" riders, so we enjoy a good technical descent.
    Looks like we may have 2 days to ride... things are looking good!
    Thanks again!
    Buy 2nd Hand Products!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Vail

Stop at a bike shop and buy a Mountain Biker's Guide to Vail. It has all of the trails mentioned - with precise directions - and many more. Some hotels keep a copy around also. The trail off the Grand Traverse into Minturn is Cougar Ridge. It is lot's of fun. The Vail Mtn trail map may give you a good idea where to find very tech courses. Most everything else is ridable on a hard tail with moderate skills.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    http://www.ecosports.com/ecosports/

this is the a great website with all the trails KoKo mentioned...these are all fantastic. Like people said shuttle Two Elks to the Vail Pass Exit on Interstate 70. Awesome ride and pretty techy for XC riders (someone always gets bloody or loses a deraillur on this one).

More techy- would be Beaver Creek Mtn Trails (along with Paulies Plunge) adn Matterhorn (west vail) trees (used to have some BC style ramps) and acceseed from the top of vail gondola (long easy bike or gondalo ride)

Vail Mtn- is not so dialed in for freeride anymore, more of an access point for great XC.

I also recommend going up Vail mtn for 4 miles then turning on Mill Creek Road (for 5.5 miles) to the top of Benchmark (most eastern part of vail mtn) then across to The Grand Traverse and onto Cougar Rdige to Minturn.....awesome epic singletrack ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Vail Help

Stop in Double Diamond Ski Shop located at the base of the Gondy in Lionshead. Ask for Adam, he's lived here for quite a while knows the trail better than most.