mtbr member
    Nov 2007

A little different - Looking for good easy fire road/double track (near-ish Denver)

Hey guys,

New to the area from the midwest, I usually am all about the singletrack and downhill but I'm recovering from some injuries right now and need something easy.

I just want to put some miles in where I don't have to worry about getting hurt even more, but also want to avoid asphalt.

Just looking for some fun secluded, non-technical rides with good scenery. I'd like to avoid the sandy sun scorched exposed foothills, but high altitude would be really interesting. Anything up in the mountains really...Would love to do some exposed ridges above the tree-line.

Doesn't have to be fire road, I'm just looking for something fast and smooth that I can cover a lot of miles on without getting lost.

Within 2 hours of Denver would be ideal. I'm on a geared hardtail 29'er with 4" front travel if you're curious.

Thanks for any advice!

Trips for Kids Denver
    Welcome to the area. The forest service roads in and around Vail might fit your needs although they are open to jeeps,quads and morotcycles. If you can go during the week it might be perfect.

Look into Ptarmigan Pass to McAllister Gulch loop, Mill Creek Rd. or Red & White Mountain Rd.

The roads leading up fom Montezuma are technically easy but the long high altitude climbs make them hard on the lungs plu easy to get lost.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Try Hall Valley to Webster Pass. There are some steeper sections and some rocks but nothing overly technical.

*Note: bring some extra bags and bring home some king boletes for a tasty post-ride dinner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Awesome, I'll try these on my day off Tuesday or Wednesday and report back.

eci
    Also waterton canyon is a nice 7 mile one way ride.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There is a whole system of double track roads in the Four Mile Creek area above Buena Vista. They are easy, but fun riding with great scenery.