Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

A little bit of history- Big Thomson

638 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  PBR me! 
#1 ·
I was talking to some of you on the road section of the Death March ride yesterday about the Flood in the Big Thomson Canyon in 76. I had relatives that had a cabin in Glen Comfort. They were playing cards at a friends house as they always did once a week. The Flood reports came from friends in the area they should evacuate and ended up having to be rescued by the National Guard. Somewhere there is a picture of them being helped across the river that ended up in a encyclopedia. I am working on trying to find that.

In the mean time i ran across this site with some good information on this along with photos and peoples accounts of the flood.

http://www.coloradoan.com/news/thompson/index.html

May be of interest to some, but worth checking out especially if you had family up there as i did. They were rescued all was good but lost many of their friends. I spent a fair amount of time at their cabin and until yesterday had not been in that area in a long time. Thought i would share......:)

#3 ·
PBR me! said:
I was talking to some of you on the road section of the Death March ride yesterday about the Flood in the Big Thomson Canyon in 76. I had relatives that had a cabin in Glen Comfort. They were playing cards at a friends house as they always did once a week. The Flood reports came from friends in the area they should evacuate and ended up having to be rescued by the National Guard. Somewhere there is a picture of them being helped across the river that ended up in a encyclopedia. I am working on trying to find that.

In the mean time i ran across this site with some good information on this along with photos and peoples accounts of the flood.

http://www.coloradoan.com/news/thompson/index.html

May be of interest to some, but worth checking out especially if you had family up there as i did. They were rescued all was good but lost many of their friends. I spent a fair amount of time at their cabin and until yesterday had not been in that area in a long time. Thought i would share......:)
I did a project on the flood last year and there was a book, I think from the USGS, that had a whole lot of pictures. It was in the CSU library, I'll see if I can't check it back out this week and look through to see if I can't find a picture that fits the description.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.