Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,862

    Lion Gulch was in great shape last night[vid]

    Getting ready for our weekly 5:30 Tuesday nighter and the skies opened up. Big time. Hail, tons of rain, the whole nine yards. Looking into the street showed cars splashing thru 6" of standing water. What's a crew to do? Ride!

    There's always posts about what is rideable after rain. You just have to find the right trail. Fortunately, Lion Gulch is steep enough and sandy/rocky enough that it's almost always perfect right after a rain. The only bummer is that the rocks and roots can still be a little slippery .

    Here's a vid from last nights ride. This is one of the tougher parts of Lion Gulch. Jen G rockin the house on the hardtail.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  2. #2
    Stiff yet compliant
    Reputation: Moustache rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,902
    I haven't been up to Lion Gulch in a long time, I need to do it again.
    Do you climb up from the TH on 36, Johnny Park, Pierson Park, somewhere else?
    Are lights required on your Tue rides at this point?

  3. #3
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    I love videos of riders cleaning tech moves and sections. Props to her for doing it on a hardtail with wet rocks.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

  4. #4
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,862
    We tough it up and climb up Lion Gulch from 36. It's more climbable than you would think. Once up to the top, we do a lap around the homestead meadows area then back down. It was a sweet ride.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  5. #5
    tiny rider
    Reputation: cartographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    I haven't been up to Lion Gulch in a long time, I need to do it again.
    Do you climb up from the TH on 36, Johnny Park, Pierson Park, somewhere else?
    Are lights required on your Tue rides at this point?
    Another good option available now is to enter Homestead Meadows from the Hermit Park Open Space that's ~4 miles up 36 from the Lion Gulch trailhead.

    I need to get back to Lion Gulch; it's got some very intimidating bits, but also lots of great riding, both up and down.

  6. #6
    drinks from the fountain
    Reputation: tmosebar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    391
    Ahh, Lion Gulch!
    I haven't been up there since winter. Looking good! The trails in the area are better after rain IMHO.
    Chillin at the homesteads is always cool. I have romantic dreams of what it was like in 1902 kickin on the porch with a jug of home brew watching the elk etc.. after bustin out some single track on the horse. The homestead with the sunken wood fired hot tub is my personal fave. (Laylock?)
    Thanks for the hit.
    pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

  7. #7
    Stiff yet compliant
    Reputation: Moustache rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,902
    I have only accessed the area from the trailhead on 36. I remember it being a pretty tough climb up the Gulch, but worth it. I will have to try one of the other ways in one of these days.

    Quote Originally Posted by tmosebar
    The homestead with the sunken wood fired hot tub is my personal fave.
    This one?



    Ever notice how the water source is just downhill from the outhouse.

  8. #8
    drinks from the fountain
    Reputation: tmosebar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    I have only accessed the area from the trailhead on 36. I remember it being a pretty tough climb up the Gulch, but worth it. I will have to try one of the other ways in one of these days.



    This one?



    Ever notice how the water source is just downhill from the outhouse.
    Nice!Yup that's the one. Yeah not very smart placement of the john.
    pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

  9. #9
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,714
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  10. #10
    !Vamos, flaco!
    Reputation: Pabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,358
    When you say "climb" up from the Lion Gulch trailhead, do you mean "hike"?
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

  11. #11
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    When you say "climb" up from the Lion Gulch trailhead, do you mean "hike"?

    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    It's more climbable than you would think.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  12. #12
    !Vamos, flaco!
    Reputation: Pabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Saying "it's more climbable that you think" doesn't mean much, especially in the face of a sacastic comment.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

  13. #13
    4.0" fully suspended
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    401
    I thought it was pretty climbable- had my monster truck wheels on (2.3 Stouts Two nine or die)- the wet roots and trail lumber made line selection / throwing weight key. Honestly ran out of steam in 2 spots that ended in hike a bike. Descending was a blast, root / rock wetness didn't play a factor for me. In Lyons area this descent is bad ass in terms of gnarliness, Little Raven - SSV is supreme, we voted on it so it must be true.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •