What does a bean mean?!
    Apr 2011

Life in Fairplay??

Anyone have comments/advice/warnings about living in Fairplay or surrounding communities? Most importantly, what is the riding like? All I really know of in that area is the Colorado Trail at Kenosha Pass. Is there anything else? Would I be driving to Summit Co and Salida all the time?

Also, is that area considered Front Range or Western Slope??

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    1. You'd better like a short summer and love a long winter.
    2. Riding is all around...in season.
    3. Yes, you would be driving to a lot of places for things like groceries, bike parts, brain stimulation...
    4. Neither. It's just "up there in the mountains".

What would you be doing in Fairplay for work?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    High country territory.

Bring your own female.

lucky enough
    Your friends will be interested to know that you're in South Park.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Do you enjoy a gentle breeze?

What does a bean mean?!
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny boy View Post
    Do you enjoy a gentle breeze?
    Wind is a bit of a concern for me. Can you count on having constant 35+mph gusts every few days? I had a westward facing apartment in Fort Collins and while the view of Horsetooth Mountain was nice, the wind battering my windows kept me up many a night. Sounds silly but it drove me friggin crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sloth View Post
    Bring your own female.
    This is quality advice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by COTarHeel View Post
    Wind is a bit of a concern for me.
    Dude, if wind is a concern at all for you, Fairplay is probably the last place you'd wanna live. Next time you're out there take a look at some of the trees on the south side of Red Hill Pass. They only grow branches on one side. It's my understanding that this is due to the relentless wind. All those huge fences off of 285 were built so the wind would drift the snow away from the road. I used to live in Bailey, and frequently drove 285. The wind would blow tractor trailers and campers right over, frequently. I don't know for sure how often the wind is blowing in that area but I do know that when it blows, it blows!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ever notice how in the show South Park, there's always snow on the ground? While maybe not entirely true, it's kind of true.

What does a bean mean?!
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckle View Post
    Dude, if wind is a concern at all for you, Fairplay is probably the last place you'd wanna live. Next time you're out there take a look at some of the trees on the south side of Red Hill Pass. They only grow branches on one side. It's my understanding that this is due to the relentless wind. All those huge fences off of 285 were built so the wind would drift the snow away from the road. I used to live in Bailey, and frequently drove 285. The wind would blow tractor trailers and campers right over, frequently. I don't know for sure how often the wind is blowing in that area but I do know that when it blows, it blows!
    It's a concern in that if it's like most other places I would be annoyed by it, but it isn't a deal breaker. I've come to learn that wind is just one of Colorado's charms. Unless gusts are hitting 40 every single day, I'd get used to it. I mean I'd have to, right?!

How did you like living in Bailey?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Fairplay/Alma is the only affordable living for Summit County worker bees. I imagine most peeps go to Alma for nightlife since the bars often have live bands.

Plenty of jeep road riding nearby & some singletrack (besides the Georgia Pass stuff) but most rides nearby are in Summit Cnty.

Of the two Alma seems like the better choice - it's funkier and maybe less windy but probably less winter sun too.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Why Fairplay?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm not a hater, I love the outdoors, I love rural living, I love Colorado.

Fairplay is a VERY acquired taste. I owned a bunch of land up there for several years, and spent a lot of time there. I ended up giving it the nickname of "Lower Siberia". You have June->August to ride, and that is basically it. Even if the weather holds out into October, you have hunting season from the last weekend in August through Thanksgiving. Trust me, you do not want to be pissing off a bunch of hunters. Then you have November->April of *howling* winds, blowing snow, and general desolation. Remember that virtually all of South Park is above 9000 feet. The wind chill is brutal. May->June, depending on snow amounts, is mud season. The mud up there is like snot.

That is just the outdoor scene. Socially, economically, infrastructure-wise? Close to zero.

If you like desolation, isolation, wind, bitter temperatures, no services, high prices for everything, then Fairplay is great. I know there are Fairplay people who are going to read this who are happy I am saying this, because they don't want people living up there, and believe me, I am happy to oblige.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'd live in Alma, blue river, or Breck and commute. Fairplay is cold, windy, and not really close to anything fun. But it depends on what you are into. I have some friends who live there and love it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I worked on the high school up there for 8 months about 15 years ago started in August, haven't been back since don't think I ever will be. People are nice though. I kinda always figured if you lived there you were hiding from something.

What does a bean mean?!
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate the input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I lived in northern Bailey for 4 years, and traveled 285 to points south extensively in that time. Our property was very exposed to the elements, and totally wind scoured. Within a month of moving there, we'd lost anything outside that we hadn't properly anchored down. It took about two years time before I could sleep through about half of the wind storms. The other half, I'd just lie in bed waiting for the house to blow apart.

Wind + snow = ground blizzards on 285. If you haven't experienced them before, count your blessings. There were times that I'd come to a complete stop on the highway because I couldn't see the lane markers, or oncoming traffic, or the hood of my truck. It's a pretty terrifying experience knowing that someone could hit you from behind, or oncoming traffic could drift over to where you are. Many times I'd get to my destination only to find that they'd shut the highway down behind me.

Would I move back? I doubt it. While I am intrigued by the Bailey Trails Project, and I love rural living, Bailey redefined 'too far' for me, and I found myself feeling really isolated. From my house it was over an hour round trip to the grocery store, and 3 hours round trip to my office. That's a lot of time that I'm never going to get back. I'm not much into night life, but it would have been nice to have an option to go out and grab a beer somewhere. I think that there's been a bar or two that have opened up in Bailey proper since I left.

I'd take a good hard look at what appeals to you about Fairplay, and maybe spend a winter weekend there...there's a nice old hotel in town. See if the temperatures, wind, etc are in any way a deterrent for you. Talk to some locals. You might find that it's the perfect place for you...who knows?