Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Let's Talk Tires...

Need some help... I'm an All-mtn rider coming from DH racing back ground. I'm looking for a good set of tires, that are 1.5 to 2 ply,tubeless, role great, but can still pick up cornering and nothing over 2.3". I don't want a heavy tire since I ride this bike up hill as well. Right now I'm rolling Specialized Chunder SX in the front and the Purgatory S-works on the rear. Need help...
    Want a faster tire, but one I can't roll (Side to Side)...

GO.....

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Doesn't exist.

HTH.

fyyff

I'd think lightweight double ply would be mutually exclusive

Up until then, I would've said Minion DH-F UST 2.3 or Nevegal 2.3. How about a ghetto tubeless setup?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yeah.... Minion is a great tire... But heavy... The chunder is 1.5 ply and I do run it tubeless, which I love. I'm just hoping that someone else has a different set up. The bike weights 31.5 now, but I want a better rolling tire for climbing...

skillz to pay billz
    I've got ignitors on my FS right now, 2.35 ust.

Looking for a little more meat up front. maybe mountain king 2.4

mtbr member

S -- perfect tire for you -- MaxxLite 310. Only 310 grams in a 26 x 1.95. I have a set I'm happy to let you try, though I suspect you wouldn't make it from your house to the NTM trailhed on them.

On a more serious note, I do think the 2.25 Maxxis ADvantage or 2.35 Ignitor, also Maxxis, would be good tires for you to try.

Armchair Sasquatcheror

AM tires

I have been running the Tioga factory DH 2.3" front and rear tires on my trail bike for the last 6 years. They are 1.5 ply, folding and are not rediculously heavy. They are not the lowest rolling resistance tires out there but they get the job done. The only problem is I can't find them anymore. I am running 2.4" WTB moto something rathers right now and the rear is alright but the front tire sucks - constatntly feels like I'm going to wash out on loose stuff.

I can't afford to put maxxis on my trail bike so I think I am going to try some 2.3" WTB Prowlers, front and rear. I rode a so-called all mountain bike recently with this set up and it seemed pretty sweet. They are in the $30. range.
    "Put the Fun Between Your Legs."

eBiker
    Check out the Michelin Dry2 . It is what they call 4ply - more like a 1.5 ply, 2.3 (tho my most recent one showed up smaller) and it weighs 750g - very tough. The kicker is, it rolls very very fast. Rear only.

If you have a DH background you'll know how to set an edge when cornering this tire.

P

Heathen
    I've had trouble getting anything to hook up out here on the decomposed granite. Everything I've tried breaks loose when I push hard into a corner. Running 2.3 S-Works Eskar Control's right now. Nevegals before that (way heavy UST). Exploded a High Roller before that.

OMG!
    i too come from the dh racing, and i have blown up tons of xc tires on my trail bike. right now, my setup is a spec enduro 2.3 with tube up front, and a maxxis high roller in the back tubeless 2.3. i hadhigh rollers front and back, but i couldn't get over having sucha skinny tire up front.

really the only way is to try stuff out ($$$$) and see what works for you.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyToyz
    I've had trouble getting anything to hook up out here on the decomposed granite. Everything I've tried breaks loose when I push hard into a corner. Running 2.3 S-Works Eskar Control's right now. Nevegals before that (way heavy UST). Exploded a High Roller before that.
    What kind of luck have you had with the Eskar? I've got a set on the bike (with 0 miles on them), but am hesitant to trust them too much given what I've read about their puncture resistance.
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by adjunkie
    i too come from the dh racing, and i have blown up tons of xc tires on my trail bike. right now, my setup is a spec enduro 2.3 with tube up front, and a maxxis high roller in the back tubeless 2.3. i hadhigh rollers front and back, but i couldn't get over having sucha skinny tire up front.

really the only way is to try stuff out ($$$$) and see what works for you.

Yeah, that is what I was scared of.... Money just not hanging around on trees these days... High rollers are heavy. Any body know about the Maxxis Larson or Ardent? The Ardent looks like a nice rolling tire?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Reporterkyle

S -- perfect tire for you -- MaxxLite 310. Only 310 grams in a 26 x 1.95. I have a set I'm happy to let you try, though I suspect you wouldn't make it from your house to the NTM trailhed on them.

On a more serious note, I do think the 2.25 Maxxis ADvantage or 2.35 Ignitor, also Maxxis, would be good tires for you to try.
    No, I'm surprised you make it out of your drive... When are you getting the Carbon rims...
    Last edited by 3H'S; 06-05-2009 at 08:33 PM.

fyyff

I have an Ardent 2.25. It's missing some meat in the mid-shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by 3H'S
    Any body know about the Maxxis Larson or Ardent? The Ardent looks like a nice rolling tire?
    If it's fully upright, it's great. If it's fully leaned over, it's great. Anywhere in between, and you're on the bald mid-shoulder area. It'd probably be fine for a drifter rear tire, but not for a front, imo

mtbr member
    I love the Hutch Barracuda MRC medium 2.3 UST. The bike is a Nomad and I run the pressure at 40psi. Grippy & carvy.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Shread Ready
    Yeah, that is what I was scared of.... Money just not hanging around on trees these days... High rollers are heavy. Any body know about the Maxxis Larson or Ardent? The Ardent looks like a nice rolling tire?
    I'm about threw a set of Maxxis Larsens now. These are awesome 2.3 tires that flow very fast with little rolling resistance. They also handle great and seem to stick great for those tough climbs. I would highly suggest them from FR riding. After I put them on it seemed like I had a whole new bike coming from the stock 2.1's. I'm probably going to try the ignitors next.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    I'd try tubeless Maxxis ADvantage or Schwalbe Fat Albert UST or Big Betty UST.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I think tubeless is a bad choice for Front Range CO where flats are relatively common due to the abundance of sharp rocks, cactus, goatheads, etc. In my experience it is a big pita to throw a tube in a tubeless when on the trail. The tires are really hard to mount due to the very tight bead, it is messy (and possibly polluting) due to the sealant, and then you're left with a heavier tire/wheel and work or expense to fix it when you get home. Tubes are just much simpler and easier to deal with for most riders...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Really... I almost flatted every time I rode with tubes. I have been tubeless for 5 months and "NO" flats... One of the best investments ever to riding in the front range... Checked the Garmin, 185 miles with out a flat...

mtbr member
    5 months

150 days

185 miles

1.2 miles per day

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Really... I almost flatted every time I rode with tubes. I have been tubeless for 5 months and "NO" flats... One of the best investments ever to riding in the front range... Checked the Garmin, 185 miles with out a flat...
    I've flatted less with tubeless... but I've flatted twice this season alone with them. And it is a mess to put a tube in with all that sealant crap all over the place.

Thread Terrorist
    what ever you do, fill it with helium. That'll make it lighter!

Thread Terrorist
    Yeah.... Minion is a great tire... But heavy... The chunder is 1.5 ply and I do run it tubeless, which I love. I'm just hoping that someone else has a different set up. The bike weights 31.5 now, but I want a better rolling tire for climbing...
    Have you thought about drilling lots of holes? That usually lightens it up!

skillz to pay billz
    haven't flatted in 2 years since going tubeless. One year without sealant even.

Quote Originally Posted by afox
    I think tubeless is a bad choice for Front Range CO where flats are relatively common due to the abundance of sharp rocks, cactus, goatheads, etc. In my experience it is a big pita to throw a tube in a tubeless when on the trail. The tires are really hard to mount due to the very tight bead, it is messy (and possibly polluting) due to the sealant, and then you're left with a heavier tire/wheel and work or expense to fix it when you get home. Tubes are just much simpler and easier to deal with for most riders...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    what ever you do, fill it with helium. That'll make it lighter!
    Or even better fill it with vacuum. Nothing is lighter than that.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast