Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    MK_
    carpe mañana

Let's revisit the group order for the Chinese carbon rims

So it has been a few months and the sequester and the previous conversation about the procurement of Chinese carbon rims went nowhere.

Fast forward to now and Light-bicycle have new rims to offer for AM/DH riding.
    new-26er-rim-specially-designed-for-all-mountain-and-downhill-bikes Light-Bicycle

They're 33mm wide externally, 26mm internal and are 30mm deep. The claimed weight is 375g +/- 10g and 450g +/- 10g for the reinforced DH version. $170ea. standard/ $178ea. reinforced. Some discount in volume but not much if it's like before; main advantage is shipping saving which is ~$50 for a pair.

Let's revisit the group order for the Chinese carbon rims-new-26er-33mm-outer-width.jpg

These rims are swaying me to shell out the money (esp. since my rear rim is pretty tweaked and needs to be replaced either way).

I'd like to gauge interest; if we can come up with 5 interested for a set, that should be enough to make the hassle worthwhile; I'm trying to get exact figure on "volume" pricing.

Cheers.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

bike rider
    My pair should be here in a week.

I mean BUMP.
    Keep the Country country.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Heh. My pair arrived about two weeks ago. I christened them on this.

bike rider
    You got the DH width rims? I thought I was getting the first pair in the US. Also, I've never ridden around Guanella but now I'm curious.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    The 33mm rims just got released so you'll probably be the first in the US sporting them.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

MK_
    carpe mañana
    More info:

10 to 20 rims: $8 discount per rim
    20 to 30 rims: $12 discount per rim
    30+ rims : $15 discount per rim

Rims can be mixed so any of their carbon rims are fair game; they have:
    29er XC: cross country bike carbon mountain biking 29er rim clincher Light-Bicycle
    29er AM: Wider carbon mountain 29er rims clincher(tubeless-compatible) Light-Bicycle
    26er XC: 26er MTB carbon MTB rim clincher Light-Bicycle
    26er AM: wider mtb 26er carbon bike rim 26 inch rims(tubeless-compatible) Light-Bicycle
    NEW 26er mentioned above
    and 650B: carbon mountain bike 650b rim mtb 27.5 rim Light-Bicycle

The 650B and wider 29er (as well as the 33mm 26er) use the new molding process outlined here:
    Technology Improve Of Light-Bicycle Carbon MTB 650B Rims Light-Bicycle

They've just posted a note that out of 4100 rims sold since the introduction of their new process they've nearly eliminated rim cracking issue: Big change-new manufacture process is applied for Mountain Bike(MTB) carbon rim Light-Bicycle

Now, if you decide to get a set of rims, take a moment and figure out which finish you want (3k, 12k or UD; matte or glossy); it's just a cosmetic layer but you have a choice and may as well take advantage. The 3k 12K UD carbon fiber weave for rim and frame - a set on Flickr

Figure out how many spoke holes you want drilled (28/32/36 or some exotic number).

Finally, decide whether you want to use internal (sometimes called inverted or hidden) nipples or standard nips. Brass is recommended due to galvanic corrosion caused by presence of carbon fiber although hard anodized aluminum is also showing to be promising. Advantage of internal nipples is smaller diameter hole being drilled in the rim which should make the rim less prone to failure at the spoke interface; the disadvantage is reduced selection of nipples an likely increased cost. Dealing with figuring out proper spoke length is another complexity (I am reading that consensus is that you add 10mm to the spoke length if you're gonna do the internal nipples).

So far we have interest for two sets of rims or 4 rims total.

MK : 2x 33mm wide 26er rims
    coyotegulch: 2x 29er XC rims

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

Chairman of the Beard
    Been riding my Wide 29er ones for about 350 miles now, so far so good. Plenty of scuffs in the carbon from errant scree and rocks, but not exactly what you'd call a "long term test" yet.

Still, I'm pleased so far.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the info MK. I see they also also offer built up wheels but the rims seem to be much more popular. Is the general consensus that it's better to build your own? Has anyone ordered the fully built wheels yet? I know squat about building wheels and don't own a truing stand. I am in the market for a new rear wheel though...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    You got the DH width rims? I thought I was getting the first pair in the US. Also, I've never ridden around Guanella but now I'm curious.
    Actually I just got the "wider" 26" rims.

Curiosity killed the cat, you know.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbklutz View Post
    Thanks for all of the info MK. I see they also also offer built up wheels but the rims seem to be much more popular. Is the general consensus that it's better to build your own? Has anyone ordered the fully built wheels yet? I know squat about building wheels and don't own a truing stand. I am in the market for a new rear wheel though...
    Yup. I got the fully built wheels. Hubs are nice. Durability obviously is up in the air at this point. But the wheels took a godawful shellacking weekend before last and everything looks good so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Yup. I got the fully built wheels. Hubs are nice. Durability obviously is up in the air at this point. But the wheels took a godawful shellacking weekend before last and everything looks good so far.
    You two should have a boy date for a bit of show and tell!

Da Klutz has seen the 29er version up on Bowman's this past wknd...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

bike rider
    Actually I just got the "wider" 26" rims.

Curiosity killed the cat, you know.
    My "wider 26" rims have held up perfectly to the abuse I've been dishing out for 7 months. Many Enduro races and full on DH runs on a 7" bike. I'm looking forward to putting the DH width rims on my V10.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am interested in a set of the new 33mm wide rims built up to 400gms. I have spoken to Nancy and she can do that. Not sure if I just want rims yet or prebuilt wheels though. As of the 5th I will be living in Colorado, I know my profile still says BC which would not work well for a group buy with you guys....

mtbr member
    Hmmm... where do I find pricing on built up 650b? 15QR front/135QR rear

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Here are details on the 650B build up wheels:
    carbon MTB 650B wheel mountain bike 27.5 wheels Light-Bicycle

You may need to email Nancy about pricing for specific hub/spoke/rim combos. They outline the hub models used, you probably need to do a little research about them.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Anyone on the XC 29er ones? I"m tempted to try one.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Check out this thread:
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

It's been going on for about a year and is 42 pages long. It's all about the rims; one year's history worth or so.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay View Post
    Anyone on the XC 29er ones? I"m tempted to try one.
    Way more people are getting the "wide AM" rims than the "narrow XC". They didn't even bother to make a narrow 650 rim. The width difference is significant and the weight difference is only 30-40g.

mtbr member
    So, the question now is: did I waste money buying the Envie's, should I have just bought these instead????
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pancroft View Post
    So, the question now is: did I waste money buying the Envie's, should I have just bought these instead????
    Probably only time will tell - if they last 3x as long as the light-bicycles wheels... I'd say you didn't waste your money.

bike rider
    Probably only time will tell - if they last 3x as long as the light-bicycles wheels... I'd say you didn't waste your money.
    They cost about 5 times as much. So far I've seen 2 cracked Enves in person and one cracked LB on the internet. For the price difference I think the LB is the much better choice. If you're worried about durability you could have a spare set orf rims ready to swap in if one cracks. Enve and Easton rims are a big $ commitment. LB rims only cost double what standard rims cost.

mtbr member
    I'm curious about the "hookless" tubeless system. Seems the bead doesn't 'snap' or seat itself like a traditional TLR/UST system.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    They cost about 5 times as much.
    You're right - I was checking the XC version which were a bit under $2K. I see the AM ones are *over* $2500. Wow...

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    I'm curious about the "hookless" tubeless system. Seems the bead doesn't 'snap' or seat itself like a traditional TLR/UST system.
    The bead will still snap as it gets pushed up onto the shoulder of the rim channel. The lack of a hook is just like the sidewall of a motorcycle or car rim. It just has a vertical wall that keeps the bead from pushing farther out. There's no need for a hook since the tire is restrained radially by its tight fit on the shoulder. Only Specialized is currently making hookless bicycle rims.

If you were referring to the little bead nips on the inside of the shoulder that UST and Spank rims use, yes they do seem to reduce burping and make inflation easier. Light Bicycle rims don't have these.

bike rider
    You're right - I was checking the XC version which were a bit under $2K. I see the AM ones are *over* $2500. Wow...
    I was talking rim prices. LB rims range from $150-$178 plus shipping. Last I checked Enves were $800+ plus shipping or sales tax. Depending on how light hubs and spokes you use LB AM wheels can be built from approx 1450-1650g and $600-$850.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast