Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    TaS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Lesson Learned Traveling 285 to Buffalo Creek

Kitchen pass in hand, bike and gear in the truck, I was off to Buffalo Creek Saturday morning. It is about an hours drive from the house in HR to the Pine Valley parking lot. Trying to mazimize my ride time vs drive time I was traveling a little too quickly on 285 based on the opinion of the Morrison Police Dept.

Lesson learned; stick to 45mph on 285, it is an hour and 15 minutes to the parking lot, and the city of Morrison has seen the remainder of my business for the next few years.

In the end I still had a great ride in BC and will most likely take this comming Friday off work to ride again.

Drive smart and

Have a Day

Tom

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaS
    ... the city of Morrison has seen the remainder of my business for the next few years.
    The audacity of enforcing the rules!
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yep, 285 is a money maker for local "law" enforcement. I had a close call a few years ago and learned my lesson.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    45?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

not actually bad :)
    A couple more PSAs for those that don't know.
    Many times there is an officer with radar in the Stegosaurus lot (across from Matthews/Winters main lot) on HW 26 waiting for the unsuspecting, as the speed limit drops from 50 to 35 headed north on 26.
    My wife would also attest not to drive 20MPH over the 50 MPH limit going south on HW40 towards I70 (between Heritage Square and the TRex lot).

Old Codger

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Fish in a barrel for those guys at that corner. A new sign was just installed in the last few weeks that says "45 mph speed zone ahead" just before the blind corner where the actual 45 mph starts. It was really unfair before that because you come around the corner at the posted 50 mph and then all of a sudden it changes to 45 mph with no warning and the Morrison PD is hanging out. They'll still get a good catch, but at least now it's signed.

Don't let your guard down though, beyond the canyon 285 is littered with CSP and jeffco.

Cruise control all the way.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Those turds are always lurking about in the tight section near The Fort - I wonder if that was you we passed on our way to PV. I've been in Morrison traffic court before, my ticket was legitimate, but I watched them rake people over the coals for doing 28mph in the 25, when the 35mph sign was visible. After watching that circus, you'd have a pretty hard time convincing me that it's not strictly a money maker for them. I drive that way every day, and I avoid those leeches like, well... leeches.
    Now with more vitriol!

Rigid in Evergreen
    You impatient city folk keep on keepin' our taxes low!

-Mountain Folk

Stiff yet compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    The audacity of enforcing the rules!
    When traffic law enforcement is (IMO) increasingly used as a mere revenue generating tool by cash strapped municipalities that can't or won't raise taxes. It makes it difficult to be respectful.

Living the High Life
    Also a heads up in Denver, they have those camera out that snap a pic and they mail you the ticket. Its a cop sitting in a van so they move then from area to area.

When you get the ticket it says "no points" Probably encouraging you to just pay the fine and not fight it. Obviously a money maker. I bet one cop in a van cranks dozens of tickets daily like that.

But some one got a ticket for 3 mph over? Really, 28 in a 25? WTF, a speedometer could be off by a few mph.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    When traffic law enforcement is (IMO) increasingly used as a mere revenue generating tool by cash strapped municipalities that can't or won't raise taxes. It makes it difficult to be respectful.
    I get speeding tickets at times and it sucks. However, at least in my experience, I wouldn't have gotten them if I hadn't been speeding. I broke a valid rule, so I pay the penalty. If I really didn't like the rule, I could try to change it. There are reasons for speeding laws other than revenue generation, such as safety and the nebulous public welfare. Maybe municipalities should raise taxes and improve their revenue structures, but that doesn't somehow justify speeding.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Rigid in Evergreen
    Denver is pretty nasty about the revenue generating cameras.

Last year I was in bumper to bumper traffic, moving very slowly (half the posted speed limit)... light turns yellow... NO chance to make it through the light safely, much less without blocking the intersection waiting for the cars in front me to move, so I hit the brakes and stopped. My front wheels were over the white line, but still well behind the cross walk... the pricks still mailed me a ticket.

Dude...
    I feel your pain. Probably hadn't had a ticket in 10 years, but got one on the curves going up 285 to Buffalo Creek about three Saturdays ago. I guess I should have been following the rules like Pabs says , but when in traffic, and going with the flow, and chatting with my buddies, I hadn't noticed I was being such a rule breaker. When I got pulled over I honestly didn't even know why. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    Its amazing how easy somebody can make 10.000 posts making such stupid comments.

TaS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    I get speeding tickets at times and it sucks. However, at least in my experience, I wouldn't have gotten them if I hadn't been speeding. I broke a valid rule, .........................
    I only posted to give a friendly reminder that once one gets onto 285 into the foothills, make yourself aware of your speed as the cities and counties are watching it for you.

Pabs-

I am of the opinion that the City of Morrison is capitalizing on a situation. As to the validity of the posted speed, we could try and see how many speeding tickets are issued between a series of mile markers on 285 within the jurisdiction of the City of Morrison and compare it to a similar stretch on the highway say from 470 to Highway 8 where the conditions and speeds are similar and compare numbers. I would imagine that based on the numbers the posted speed in the favored speedtrap area should be reviewed.

http://xenon.arcticus.com/gis-and-fl...gerrymandering

Have a Day

Tom

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

it's a shame really

Speed traps everywhere. Used to be CO was a fun place to drive. Hardly anyone cared. On the freeways that is still the case to some extent, but the local municipalities are becoming police states with cops and cameras everywhere. In 2010 Boulder issued 30,000 citations between the live cops and photo radar/red light. There are about 100k people living in the city, so about 30% of the population got one, you could say. Meanwhile, we've got hate crimes, robberies and murders being committed by people on foot.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    Speed traps everywhere. Used to be CO was a fun place to drive. Hardly anyone cared. On the freeways that is still the case to some extent, but the local municipalities are becoming police states with cops and cameras everywhere. In 2010 Boulder issued 30,000 citations between the live cops and photo radar/red light. There are about 100k people living in the city, so about 30% of the population got one, you could say. Meanwhile, we've got hate crimes, robberies and murders being committed by people on foot.

Not to mention bike thieves are running rampant.

holding back the darkness
    I got a ticket about a quarter mile Denver-bound out of the DIA parking tollbooth.
    $165. If I don't fight it it gets knocked down to a "defective vehicle" ticket and no points.

There're out for your money.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    I got a ticket about a quarter mile Denver-bound out of the DIA parking tollbooth.
    $165. If I don't fight it it gets knocked down to a "defective vehicle" ticket and no points.

Fort Collins is the same way. I got a ticket for 49 in a 40. Funny thing is, I was pulling out of a parking lot into traffic & hit the gas to get up to speed. Cop was going the other way in traffic & hit the lights immediately & pulled an illegal u-turn, in traffic, to get me. When I looked down at my speedo I was doing about 45 (no faster than traffic). Ticket said if I paid by a certain date & did not contest, 0 points. pay after the date, or appear in court, 1 point.

All about the Benjamins, all $125.00 of em

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver

The DPD is always out speed trapping around DIA.

On Monday mornings, they will sit just over the hill as you come into the West side parking areas and get one person after the next. The speed limit is 35mph and people are always zooming by as they are probably running late.

I've also been told they often speed trap right off 470 on the exit ramp where it drops from 70 to 35 pretty abruptly.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    Maybe so, but all you have to do is be the first one on the scene of a few bloody car crashes where speeding was a factor to understand speeding isn't the innocent fun, victimless crime that many like to portray it as. Of course there's always lots of variables, but it always amuses me how many people (almost always young men) seem to think they have some intrinsic right to speed, run lights or stop signs, drive aggro and get all indignant when they get busted.

Respect the traffic laws, even though you think you know what's better, especially in urban areas and chances are very good you'll not get a ticket.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    but it always amuses me how many people (almost always young men) seem to think they have some intrinsic right to speed, run lights or stop signs, drive aggro and get all indignant when they get busted.

Respect the traffic laws, even though you think you know what's better, especially in urban areas and chances are very good you'll not get a ticket.

And it must be that the old fogeys think they have the right of to tell them how wrong they are.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    And it must be that the old fogeys think they have the right of to tell them how wrong they are.
    As long as they slow the hell down, turn down that damn noise ("music"), and stay the hell off my lawn we'll be OK. Otherwise I'll have to whap them over the head with my cane.
    Last edited by zrm; 05-09-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by mateomtb
    Cruise control all the way.

I thought I was the only one in the state that still drove the speed limit (especially on that stretch of 285)
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319

I thought I was the only one in the state that still drove the speed limit (especially on that stretch of 285)
    A good part of the reason I keep pretty close to the speed limit, don't run stops, etc is I like having a 100% clean driving record. Makes insurance a lot cheaper and money spent on tickets is money that could be spent on bikes.

Oh, So Interesting!
    My only speeding ticket in over 10 years was on rt. 6 between Golden and Idaho Springs. I have driven that road literally hundreds of times and they are getting a lot more aggressive enforcing speeding there too.

Oh and BTW... radar detectors are awesome. Most pigs are too lazy to turn their radar on and off and you get a warning well before you see them. It usually detects laser before I'm hit if there's traffic in front of me, but that's not always the case and instant-on radar can screw you too, but if you understand radar detector's limitations they really do help. In CO, they only use Ka band, which isn't shared by other devices so you can turn X and K band off and never get false alarms, although photo radar is K... I leave it off and don't speed in town, it doesn't really get you there faster anyway.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast