a dad
    Jan 2004

Left Hand Canyon questions

never ridden there, any suggestions on a route?...looking for technically challenging stuff....
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    never ridden there, any suggestions on a route?...looking for technically challenging stuff....
    There's maps at the main enterence and elsewhere on kiosks.

For a good ride, climb Carnage Canyon. When you get to a wide dirt area, stay left and climb up to 5 points (5 jeep roads converge on one spot.) Climbing from 5 points up, hard also. PIck any trail basically. Uber technical jeep trail towards the top. Once you reach an intersection up high, hang a right and climb a little more, then descend the road, watching for singletrack on the left. Take that, it dumps you all the way to the bottom.

I hope that if you look at a map that will make some sort of sense. If it doesn't, just climb for a while - most descents lead you right back to the start.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

ride
    I put some info on the Redstone site:
    http://www.redstonecyclery.com/redst...eftHandOHV.htm

LHC is good fun. It's the type of place where you can ride for a couple of hours and only get something like 8 miles in. You riding next weekend? My wife will be out o' town so I may be able to tour guide you in the greater Lyons area if you're looking for technical terrain. Here's a shot of Front Range Migz (1) and one of Debaser (2) at LHC last winter. It's south facing so it's rideable mostly year round.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    just got back from riding that area... too bad i didn't see dave's post/blog before we left.

anyway, when you get to 5 points at the top of carnage, i'd recommend NOT taking the far right option. while the others are more forest service type dirt / 4x4 roads, the right trail is a big rock field basically, followed by crazy loose uphill. there's a portion where it doesn't even seem like the trail even exists frankly (i don't think this area sees much/any action, so the "trail" is covered/eroded. saw no bike tracks at all. we had to hike-a-bike up until we eventually found a short singletrack back to the road (and actually it technically ended about 30 yards from the road-- just stopped). once on that road, you could actually ride, and coming down was fun on the way to the "real" singletrack.

anyway, next time i'm definitely taking either of the far left options to climb up to the top. spent more time off the bike today than all of last year combined i think.

lower carnage is definitely technical in and of itself, especially since most of it follows the creekbed, so it is nice and muddy.

as dave's blog says-- you spend hours out here and hardly any mileage gained.

hope this helps.

terry
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    anyway, when you get to 5 points at the top of carnage, i'd recommend NOT taking the far right option. while the others are more forest service type dirt / 4x4 roads, the right trail is a big rock field basically, followed by crazy loose uphill. there's a portion where it doesn't even seem like the trail even exists frankly (i don't think this area sees much/any action, so the "trail" is covered/eroded. saw no bike tracks at all. we had to hike-a-bike up until we eventually found a short singletrack back to the road (and actually it technically ended about 30 yards from the road-- just stopped). once on that road, you could actually ride, and coming down was fun on the way to the "real" singletrack.

anyway, next time i'm definitely taking either of the far left options to climb up to the top. spent more time off the bike today than all of last year combined i think.

as dave's blog says-- you spend hours out here and hardly any mileage gained.

hope this helps.

terry
    Hey Terry,

Were you attempting to climb the singletrack that shows on the map at the jeep road switchback? It's a hike all the ways to the top there. I'd love to check it out downhill next time...

Lots of options...
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    Hey Terry,
    Were you attempting to climb the singletrack that shows on the map at the jeep road switchback? It's a hike all the ways to the top there.
    yes, i believe so...

i checked that brand new BATCO map (boulder area trails coalition) before we left and it (unfortunately) doesn't indicate any of that singletrack above carnage (840 if i recall?) it only shows the 28X roads... however the kiosk map at 5 points indicated a biker-only trail at the end of the far right road-- but i'd like to see anybody other than maybe hans rey ride that! definite hike-a-bike territory. next time i'll just take one of the 286 spurs to get to the top!
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.