Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Leadville Notice

I received my Leadville notice - time to start actually riding a bicycle again.

I came up with a new training ride - Start in Golden, ride through White Ranch, over to Golden Gate, up to Gap Road, out to 119, south to the Apex road, up to Apex, down to Tolland, east to FS105, through that maze over to West Mag, on to Magnolia, loop the Dots, take the secret back way from the west side of Gross over to Lakeview, down Flag to Walker, east loop of Walker to Gross Dam road, over to Coal Creek Canyon, up Twin Spruce/Gap back to Golden Gate, back through Golden Gate to White Ranch.

A great combination of dirt and pavement, just like Leadville.

If I am feeling really stupid, I might go down to Central City instead of taking the Apex road, then go over to Alice, up over Kingston Peak, and down to Tolland from there. That would actually be a better simulation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    That's an interesting route, sounds nice. When I lived near the bottom of white ranch I did this one a few times.

Up and over NTM, up Chimney, up 40 to Idaho Springs, up Oh My God Road to Central City, over to GGC, and back via White Ranch.

Man that back road from GGC to White Ranch is not nice when you're tired.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Just got a "regret" notice from LT100

mtbr member
    Got my "Dear John" too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by av_boy
    Got my "Dear John" too.
    me as well.

holding back the darkness
    I also recieved a regret note. My favorite part is :
    "There is still ONE way you can gain entry into the race. For the third year, the Leadville Trail100 has partnered with Carmichael Training Systems to host three 2-day mountain bike camps in Leadville in July 2010 in preparation for the LT100 MTB Race. *Camp participants will earn guaranteed entry into the race".
    I was cool with the shady lottery system, but bribing one's way in via CTS is a huge joke.
    I've done Leadville twice before and it was cool an all, and I felt good about supporting the town in a positive way. But now it makes me a little ill to think that some loser with more money than talent can just bribe his/her way passed the rest of us. That is counter to the "everymans" race philosophy Chlouber has tried so dearly to stamp on this race. Anyone can do this race. Anyone can dig deep (into their pockets and pay $1250).

I am all sour grapes. But I no longer interesting in doing this race again. I got my buckles. I'm good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Regrets

I didn't get in either... bummer. For those who did, enjoy! Half the fun is the anticipation, training and planning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    I also recieved a regret note. My favorite part is :
    "There is still ONE way you can gain entry into the race. For the third year, the Leadville Trail100 has partnered with Carmichael Training Systems to host three 2-day mountain bike camps in Leadville in July 2010 in preparation for the LT100 MTB Race. *Camp participants will earn guaranteed entry into the race".
    I was cool with the shady lottery system, but bribing one's way in via CTS is a huge joke.
    I've done Leadville twice before and it was cool an all, and I felt good about supporting the town in a positive way. But now it makes me a little ill to think that some loser with more money than talent can just bribe his/her way passed the rest of us. That is counter to the "everymans" race philosophy Chlouber has tried so dearly to stamp on this race. Anyone can do this race. Anyone can dig deep (into their pockets and pay $1250).

I am all sour grapes. But I no longer interesting in doing this race again. I got my buckles. I'm good.
    I thought that part was pretty tacky as well... I'm still trying to come to grips with not getting in after 5 straight finishes and then seeing the $1,250 buy in.

Quote Originally Posted by alldownhill
    Just got a "regret" notice from LT100
    same.

not about to buy myself in for a grand either. i'd rather just do the course...for free...a couple weeks before or after and see what my time is for kicks and giggles.

mtbr member
    I think the CTS camp has had a waiting list for a while anyway... people who wanted to make sure they got in and could stand to waste that dough. Personally I would rather spend it on a new bike!

This is my 3rd event so far this season I have failed to get into. I even tried to sign up for the silver rush today, but the registration is not working for me for some reason (so could I actually be 0 for 4? )

It would be cool if the LT100 would give preference based on vicinity of residency to the race... its too bad (for us) that our local races fill up with people from far off places.

texans

mtbr member
    As much as I hate to get turned down for races, I am encouraged by the fact that these kinds of races are growing in number and interest. Its better than the continual commercial decline of MTB since the mid 90s. I think MTB is bennefiting from the surge in interest.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    That would be disappointing to not get in if you tried multiple times. I've been fortunate and have a couple buckles myself but have changed my interests to some other types of rides. I would still try to do leadville once if you can someday though, it is a unique experience.

If any of you guys that got left out in the cold are interested, my buddy spike has some pretty sweet 100 mile back country courses laid out that don't cost anything but blood, sweat and tears. That's what I'm training for this year.

av_boy, I'm pretty sure you will be able to get into the Silver Rush, I think it's a glitchy website thing. I'm thinking that may be my one paid race this year, It has some crazy terrain in it.

mtbr member
    Thanks Mateo. Hopefully I will get a golden ticket for spikefest!

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit
    same.

not about to buy myself in for a grand either. i'd rather just do the course...for free...a couple weeks before or after and see what my time is for kicks and giggles.
    But, then you'd miss out on the clusterf$(k start and the hike-a-bike up Columbine (unless you happen to be in the front).

Careful, you might actually enjoy yourself and have enough spare $$$ to buy some beer and/or bike parts.

;-)
    baker

It would be cool if the LT100 would give preference based on vicinity of residency to the race... its too bad (for us) that our local races fill up with people from far off places.
    Well... Hard to say what merits the "lottery" system uses, but it is no secret that the further away from Leadville you're from, the better it is for Leadville. Hotels, camping, food, all inject money into the local economy. The pre-race check-in, the racers meeting, the race, the awards generally guarantee that out-of-towners are captive for at least four days.

Ah hell.... I can't be mad forever. It's a fun race and everyone that's in it will enjoy all the suffering it provides. And it all goes into keeping Leadville alive. Bully for them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Spikes rides are easy 100 mile rides, mostly downhill. Just ask him....

Thanks Mateo. Hopefully I will get a golden ticket for spikefest!

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    Spikes rides are easy 100 mile rides, mostly downhill. Just ask him....
    Maybe this year I won't bonk out at the end of Gold Dust like I did last year.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I thought all you had to do was ride a Trek and be willing to take pulls at the front so Lance could draft off you...

mtbr member
    Alex Grant, 4th place finisher last year, didn't get in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    Alex Grant, 4th place finisher last year, didn't get in.
    That's actually just the piece of information I needed for the perspective and to make me feel a little bit better (seriously).

mtbr member
    I feel for all you guys that didn't get in... especially since they suckered your for $15 for the privilege of being turned down.

What a crock.

(Oh, and I didn't even apply)
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    I feel for all you guys that didn't get in... especially since they suckered your for $15 for the privilege of being turned down.
    Dammit!! I had forgotten about that part of the scam!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit
    same.

Good idea! Then with the money you save you could do all kinds of cool $h!t. You could buy you own expensive belt buckle. Or some parts or spend a weekend riding in some other cool local. Ahhhhh I got rejected too! I still want to do this race someday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Leadville Training

Well, I was one of the very lucky ones to get the 2010 Leadville MTB race this year through the lotto system. It sucks in many ways because my whole riding group tried to get in and only two of us got picked up. The irony in the situation is that we are the two least experienced riders and now I am not sure who will be willing to train with us the next 6 months.

Anyway, any information that could be provided on training or mileage goals I would really appreciate the input.

I ride pretty often and I am also big into running, the problem is I have not been riding very long and this race seems pretty intimidating.

If I can get a good training plan together I will feel more confident.

PS: If anyone in the Colorado Springs area did get into the race and needs a training partner let me know.

Sheffie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast