mtbr member
    May 2008

Leadville Dog Day

It's not really a race report since it didn't matter who won. But, maybe some of yous guys stopped by for a 'dog or a beer. Just wanted to say I had an awesome day running support for all the riders, even if all the support you needed was to think "Man, that hotdog guy is crazy!" Sadly we didn't have enough water to give out to all the riders that needed it. Maybe next year...

Aug 14th was a day that was one year in the waiting. In '09 we drove up Columbine climb after the race and had the wild idea to come back next year and setup a hotdog stand on the slopes of the monster. Friday the 13th we loaded up the goods in Denvertown and headed to the Cloud City.

Boosting past the Ike tunnel we thought we'd stop in Silverthorne and see about a chef's hat.

Success!!

We drove above Twin Lakes for about 5 miles and found a flat spot on the uphill side of the road. We didn't want to cause any bottle necks or wreck any racers, so right side of the road with plenty of room was key.

The 14th dawned bright and early and we set about getting things ready.

Advertising is crucial

As is proper kitchen attire

The riders were putting in a full share of effort, so why shouldn't we?

The top guys blew past with nary a thought of stopping. Although on the way up JHK chuckled a bit and Weins said it was the funniest thing he's seen. Wells was too cross-eyed to say much beyond "How far to the leaders?"

Regardless, the hotdog stand wasn't for the top 5 riders. If anything, it was for the last 5 riders.

As the afternoon wore on the riders were few and far between. We still cooked 'dogs and still yelled and cheered for every racer. Some beer may have been consumed.

This pretty well sums up my motivation for the hotdog stand

To the 1198 riders who smiled and said thanks, you are more than welcome! To the two riders who got mad and flipped me the bird, I hope you finished and can look back on the race with satisfaction. Maybe next time stop in for a 'dog and beer, they'll be delicious!

lucky enough
    Well played! If I get in the race next year, I'll have a bite and a sip!
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Huge Tracts of Land
    Good on you guys, and what an effort.
    Haven MTB Park
    1997 F2000
    2004 F4000 SL
    2007 Carbon Rush 1 Team

mtbr member

Thanks!

That was awesome!

I was a bit blurry-eyed myself and doing everything I could to keep our tandem upright while navigating the walkers and downhill riders...

I caught a glimpse of the signs and smelled the dogs cookin!! I think I hear someone yellin, "hot dogs, get your hot dogs" like at the ball park.

Wish we could have stopped for a cold one, thanks for being out there and putting a smile on my face when I needed it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That's freakin' awesome. Well done!!!

mtbr member
    Love it! Made me smile.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Thats what its all about!! Nice job!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    thanks for the beer dan!!! that was hilarious, put a smile on my face until i looked up and realized those were not ants on the top of the hill but riders at the top of columbine

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Thanks for being there!

I think I said something like "Man, you're cruel..." as the thought of a dog a the time didn't quite sit well. But, you guys help personify the spirit of that race - it's just great to see unexpected and creative support at the most unusual spot!

Great job!

Hope you had fun!

simple
    Nicely done! That rocks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I just re-read your post - really, 2 guys got mad? What was their problem! Sheesh... must have been some of those "this is really just a road race" guys who were realizing that not all "roads" are created alike!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nice! These are the kind of thing that makes Leadville what it is.

I used to run the Fall Classic race in Breckenridge years ago - back in the "good old days". A friend of mine always used to set up what was called the "mystery bong stop" (not officially sanctioned by the race management of couse) somewhere out on the point to point XC course. People would go by and he'd go 'psst, over here, I have something for you". Of course the pros and other fast guys never stopped, but a lot of other people did. Yep, the good old days.

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Thanks.I enjoyed a sip of PBR as I passed by.Perfect Bike Refreshment! (suffering up Columbine causes one's mind to er,drift).You guys rock! The post sippage burp was perfect... May I humbly request bacon next yr? mmmmm......bacon

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Leadville 100 Hot Dog Stand

I raced the 2010 LT100 this year and have to say those guys with the weiner stand made me laugh my head off at a time when laughter was few and far between
    That point of the race where one goes above treeline on the Columbine climb to 12500 ft and most have to dismount and push is a time when puking is more on your mind than a hot dog and coldy
    Kudos to these funny guys and their spirit!

pin 'er up
    I was race number 666...That hotdog saved my life, THANKS MAN!!
    Last edited by miSSionary; 08-17-2010 at 10:32 AM.
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks guys! That made the pain seem a bit more tolerable. I was #329 in the DZ Nuts jersey. Wish I could have stopped. See you next year!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey man, that was me, #687. I thought I was hallucinating when I saw you guys. Talk about an awesome hallucination, your beerstand was definitely the best part of that climb. Hope to see you guys at another race, I definitely owe you one...or 6.

Bob

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bobjenkins.
    Hey man, that was me, #687. I thought I was hallucinating when I saw you guys. Talk about an awesome hallucination, your beerstand was definitely the best part of that climb. Hope to see you guys at another race, I definitely owe you one...or 6.

Bob

Haha, man thats awesome! Sorry I forgot to have you sign a 'model release form' before using your pic.

The hotdog stand may be at other races...but only ones that are at least 50 miles long and require mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Solid idea!!!! Love the humor!!!!

@ miSSionary....we were the crazies at the top of that last grunt around mile 92. We "lovingly" called you the devil!!!! Nice race!!!

pin 'er up
    Quote Originally Posted by denveryeti
    @ miSSionary....we were the crazies at the top of that last grunt around mile 92. We "lovingly" called you the devil!!!! Nice race!!!
    I do like crazies! Thanks for cheering, at that point you could have called me absolutely anything and I'd have been happy about it. Also, I was called the devil so many times I may now need to change my name...
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for providing entertainment along the route, I appreciated the thought even though I did not partake.

Brian

mtbr member
    you guys cracked me up. i would of like to had a dog, but i dont eat well up there. i did fist bump you if you were the server on my way up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thats great. Do it again next year.

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    Congratulations just got done perusing mountain flyer #18 with a cold Dale's and must say the photo of rider reaching for the PBR on hot dog appetizer silver platter is best in mag.
    Downieville Beer / Bootie shot on pg. 81 is a close second.