Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Leadville 100 2010 Results

5K views 38 replies 30 participants last post by  billybobzia 
#1 · (Edited)
From my news entry for MTBR.com...

Levi Leipheimer wins 2010 Leadville 100

Levi Leipheimer stomped the competition in the Leadville 100, and broke Lance Armstrong's 2009 record by 12 minutes on his way to the win. Levi and Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski stayed close together for quite while, keeping a blistering pace, and JHK also bested Lance's record and coming in for a respectable 2nd place, just 9 minutes behind Levi.

Congrats to everyone for a fine job! More in-depth info and results to follow.

Top 30
Result//Name/Age/Hometown/Time
---------------------------------------------------
1 LEIPHEIMER, Levi 36 SANTA ROSA CA - 6:16:37.2
2 HORGAN-KOBELSKI, Jeremy 32 BOULDER CO - 6:25:21.4
3 WELLS, Todd 34 MORGAN HILL CA - 6:30:31.1
4 WIENS, David 46 GUNNISON CO - 6:33:54.1
5 BISHOP, Jeremiah 34 HARRISONBURG VA - 6:33:54.4
6 HENRY, Jay 35 AVON CO - 6:46:51.4
7 SHRIVER, Matt 30 DURANGO CO - 6:51:49.4
8 GRANT, Alex 30 SALT LAKE CITY UT - 7:00:53.9
9 CODY, Gerry 32 WEST LOS ANGELES CA - 7:02:44.3
10 SOMME, Stig 39 DENVER CO - 7:07:34.1
11 SAITO, Yuki 30 DENVER CO - 7:20:39.8
12 TAAM, Max 27 SNOWMASS VILLAGE CO - 7:24:35.3
13 WHITMAN, Nate 34 LOS ANGELES CA - 7:26:20.4
14 GIBSON, Racer 37 PROVO UT - 7:27:45.8
15 DAVIS, Mathew 32 SHREVEPORT LA - 7:29:35.3
16 JUAREZ, David Tinker 49 WHITTIER CA - 7:30:47.3
17 BAKER, Ward 39 BOULDER CO - 7:35:56.7
18 GIBSON, Chuck 33 PROVO UT - 7:37:42.0
19 SEYMOUR, Kimo 42 TEMPE AZ - 7:40:36.5
20 PIMM, Mike 29 LITTLETON CO - 7:44:20.1
21 ROWE, Kevin 37 BELLINGHAM WA - 7:46:02.2
22 RUSCH, Rebecca 41 KETCHUM ID - 7:47:35.2 <=Women 1st
23 STEINLE, Trapper 31 SCOTTSDALE AZ - 7:50:58.9
24 MIDLARSKY, Michael 21 DELRAY BEACH FL - 7:51:31.7
25 ZANNI, Len 39 CARBONDALE CO - 7:52:29.9
26 WHITE, Will 35 SCOTTSDALE AZ - 7:53:28.6
27 OVEREND, Ned 54 DURANGO CO - 7:56:39.4
28 MCNEILL, Kent 37 BELLEVUE NE - 7:57:21.2
29 THRESHER, Alfred 43 LAS VEGAS NV - 8:02:15.6 <=Single Speed 1st
30 RUBELT, Jake 35 TUCSON AZ - 8:04:18.6

Women - Top Ten
Result/OverResult/Name/Age/Hometown/Time
------------------------------------------------------------------
1 / 22 RUSCH, Rebecca 41 KETCHUM ID - 7:47:35.2
2 / 42 CAREY, Amanda 31 VICTOR ID - 8:12:54.8
3 / 89 GONZALES, Anne 49 ASPEN CO - 8:45:46.4
4 / 100 HERNDAY, Natasha 39 VENTURA CA - 8:47:35.0
5 / 101 ISOM, Lisa 38 VAIL CO - 8:47:51.7
6 / 124 BINGHAM, Kelsy 27 OGDEN UT - 8:53:57.2
7 / 213 FARRETT, Rachel 41 PARKER CO - 9:27:57.1
8 / 226 RYNBRANDT, Jane 26 COLORADO SPRINGS CO - 9:30:47.2
9 / 235 MICKLE, Johanna 35 LEADVILLE CO F3 - 9:32:41.0
10 / 236 KALLNER, Kathy 45 SCOTTSDALE AZ - 9:32:50.7

Men Single Speed - Top 5
1 / 29 THRESHER, Alfred 43 LAS VEGAS NV - 8:02:15.6
2 / 55 JONES, Kenny 46 PROVO UT - 8:26:13.0
3 / 59 CARLSON, Kent 31 DES MOINES IA - 8:28:39.9
4 / 79 DURLAND, Dan 41 COLORADO SPRINGS CO - 8:41:23.8
5 / 87 HAYES, Charlie 47 BOULDER CO - 8:44:29.5

Women Single Speed
1 / 610 DURLAND, Kara 39 COLORADO SPRINGS CO - 10:57:58.8
2 / 744 GILBERT, Heather 41 SALT LAKE CITY UT - 11:25:46.6

Tandem
Result/OverResult/Name/Age/Time
1 / 80 Andy Applegate, Cara A. 44 - 8:42:14.0
2 / 161 Jay Petervary, Tracey P. 38 - 9:09:03.2
3 / 269 Danny Buehler, Lauren B. 44 - 9:42:02.4
4 / 428 Charles Schuster, Karla Wagner 41 - 10:27:04.3
5 / 460 Bevin Orlinski, Dan O. 42 - 10:33:13.2

See less See more
#3 ·
The results and success of Levi and Lance (two guys who don't really ride trails with any frequency, from what I understand) establish pretty conclusively that Leadville is a roadie's "mountain bike race.

#7 ·
You're opinion doesn't mean crap unless you've ridden this race.

Not looked at a map, or a video, or ridden a stretch some weekend in Leadville.

All the blah-blah-blah about double track and gravel and pavement kind of fades away when the only safe line is a foot wide, the trail has trees on both sides, you just finished two 2000+ foot climbs, and you're going 30 mph down the powerline on an XC bike. I hate to break it to you, but our local gravity trails (Keystone, Sol Vista and WP) have wider lines and safer conditions than about 15 downhill miles of the LT 100 course. The descents are fast, loose and dangerous, especially in a huge group of riders of varying abilities, with two way traffic on some stretches, and when you are already tapped out after killer climbs.

Is it a "mountain bike race?" Who gives a rat? It is a race in which the fastest time will be on a mountain bike. The fact that road racers do well says more about the alien fitness and ability of Tour de France road riders than it does about the race. I guarantee Levi could show up to any MTB race in Colorado and get top five in the pro category. if YOU whiners were top 5 in the pro category, you wouldn't be dissing Leadville OR Levi.

People conveniently forget that Lance was the 2009 Colorado Pro mountain bike champion, on a course that no one said was too easy. Wrap your heads around that. Any rider in the TdF is so far beyond the average schmuck on MTBR in overall cycling ability that they would kill in any national level race. Tyler Farrar, who is a pure road sprinter and gets dropped like a rock on climbs in the Tdf would blow away 98% of local pro MTB riders, even on a "climbing" course. Peter Stetina was in the top 3 at the Firecracker before a crash, and got 4th at XC nationals. He rides mountain bikes for fun.

And until you have a buckle, your 5th grade opinions about whether Leadvile is "worthy" look really lame. Once you have one, dis away.

#8 ·
honkinunit said:
You're opinion doesn't mean crap unless you've ridden this race.

And until you have a buckle, your 5th grade opinions about whether Leadvile is "worthy" look really lame. Once you have one, dis away.
Whoa there, that is too much hate for Monday morning.

I think being great rider on all bikes is important. I saw Lance race at Snowmass in 2009 and it thought it was cool. But I also know some pro XC guys pull rocks off of race courses.

#11 ·
Hate the sin, love the sinner...

But honestly, even if Leadville isn't your style of mountain bike race, what on earth are you accomplishing by dissing the winner? If JHK had won would you all have been here whining about how the course was lame? And what does the "frequency" of riding "trails" have to do with anything? The winner of the race is the person with the lowest time, not the only who trained the most in some specific way.

#12 ·
honkinunit said:
Hate the sin, love the sinner...

But honestly, even if Leadville isn't your style of mountain bike race, what on earth are you accomplishing by dissing the winner? If JHK had won would you all have been here whining about how the course was lame? And what does the "frequency" of riding "trails" have to do with anything? The winner of the race is the person with the lowest time, not the only who trained the most in some specific way.
There's a thread in the 29er forum where someone's dissing Levi, but I'm not. I'm just saying it's interesting and pretty strong evidence of something that two professional TDF roadies have now crushed a race asserted to be a "mountain bike" race. I am not personally invested in the Leadville race or claims that there are "mountain bikers" and "roadies" or real "mountain bike" races and other kinds of races in which mountain bikes are used. All these subjective classifications seem to really fall apart under scrutiny. For me, bikes is bikes and races is races and sacred cows should be tipped if possible. Leadville's a bike race, which is good enough for me. But, using the subjective labels we all use, it seems really incongruent that a "mountain bike" race has now been won by a TDF rider twice. This also seems like really strong evidence about the nature of the Leadville course. Whether it's evidence that the course is lame because it's not super technical, or whether its evidence that the strongest cardio athlete will win, or whether its eidence of something else, is up for debate.

#13 ·
Pabs said:
There's a thread in the 29er forum where someone's dissing Levi, but I'm not. I'm just saying it's interesting and pretty strong evidence of something that two professional TDF roadies have now crushed a race asserted to be a "mountain bike" race. I am not personally invested in the Leadville race or claims that there are "mountain bikers" and "roadies" or real "mountain bike" races and other kinds of races in which mountain bikes are used. All these subjective classifications seem to really fall apart under scrutiny. For me, bikes is bikes and races is races and sacred cows should be tipped if possible. Leadville's a bike race, which is good enough for me. But, using the subjective labels we all use, it seems really incongruent that a "mountain bike" race has now been won by a TDF rider twice. This also seems like really strong evidence about the nature of the Leadville course. Whether it's evidence that the course is lame because it's not super technical, or whether its evidence that the strongest cardio athlete will win, or whether its eidence of something else, is up for debate.
Lance was the 2009 COLORADO PRO MOUNTAIN BIKE CHAMPION. What was wrong with that course? He is a better MOUNTAIN BIKE RACER than 99% of the PRO riders in the US, which makes him better than 99.99% of the rest of the racing population and better than 99.99999% of the general population. At MOUNTAIN BIKING.

The abilities of a TdF level road racer on a bicycle are beyond the comprehension of most people. Levi would kill you, me and virtually everyone else who ever posts on MTBR on ANY "mountain bike" course you would care to put him on, regardless of how technical. As I pointed out, Peter Stetina, who is a great young pro road racer, but who doesn't even register in the top 500 of pro road racers in the world, got 4th at XC nationals and was in the top 3 at the Firecracker before his bike broke. Yeah, those damn roadies riding those easy courses again.

BTW, the reverse is not true. 99% of Pro XC racers in the US wouldn't finish the first stage of the TdF. It is just the way it is. It has taken Cadel Evans and Ryder Hesjedal years to get to where they are in road racing after being world class XC racers.

As to whether Leadville is a "mountain bike" course, it is what it is, it is mega-successful at what it is, it inspires 10,000 people to send in $15 for the lottery, it remains a tough challenge for everyone riding, from Lance and Levi to average Joes and Marys.

#14 ·
honkinunit said:
Lance was the 2009 COLORADO PRO MOUNTAIN BIKE CHAMPION. What was wrong with that course? He is a better MOUNTAIN BIKE RACER than 99% of the PRO riders in the US, which makes him better than 99.99% of the rest of the racing population and better than 99.99999% of the general population. At MOUNTAIN BIKING.

The abilities of a TdF level road racer on a bicycle are beyond the comprehension of most people. Levi would kill you, me and virtually everyone else who ever posts on MTBR on ANY "mountain bike" course you would care to put him on, regardless of how technical. As I pointed out, Peter Stetina, who is a great young pro road racer, but who doesn't even register in the top 500 of pro road racers in the world, got 4th at XC nationals and was in the top 3 at the Firecracker before his bike broke. Yeah, those damn roadies riding those easy courses again.

BTW, the reverse is not true. 99% of Pro XC racers in the US wouldn't finish the first stage of the TdF. It is just the way it is. It has taken Cadel Evans and Ryder Hesjedal years to get to where they are in road racing after being world class XC racers.

As to whether Leadville is a "mountain bike" course, it is what it is, it is mega-successful at what it is, it inspires 10,000 people to send in $15 for the lottery, it remains a tough challenge for everyone riding, from Lance and Levi to average Joes and Marys.
Thank you - well said. I'm not sure why still want to chime in on these threads arguing about road vs. mountain etc. :madman:

One more thing to add. The day that someone completes Leadville on a road bike with road tires, I'll call it a road race. Until then, its a mountain bike race. I will agree it is NOT the most technical course and it never will be.

Maybe some day it will be a cross race, or a cruiser bike race, but for now, mountain bikes seem to work the best. ;)

#15 ·
honkinunit said:

Considering I mainly ride road bikes, I guess I'm one of those darned "roadies," for whatever that label's worth. COnsidering your post, I doubt you read my sckepticism about such labels, but I guess that's a lot to ask. This is just terribly amusing. Have you taken an oath to defend the Leadville race from anyone who might dare to wonder aloud about it? We're not talking religion or politics here, and yet, I get the all caps "yelling" for suggestion that recent victories by guys who mainly ride road bikes implies something (nothing "good" or "bad," just something) about the course itself. Priceless.

#16 ·
honkinunit said:

Why do you care so much? Just wondering seems a little odd...so what if people bag on the race, clearly a lot of people like the race hence the success. But I have to agree with others it isn't a true mountain bike race....it was back when it started (being the first of its kind), but mountain biking has evolved the race hasn't and clearly it doesn't need to. Personally it isn't for me....still a 100 miles is a 100 miles and it is at elevation (still very difficult, but more achievable because it is dirt road for people coming from out of state). For me if I want to ride dirt road for a 100 miles I do the White Rim...too much good trail in Colorado.

I just think it is odd that there is so much debate on this subject lately....those guys are pro road riders and extremely fit....clearly JHK gave Levi a run for his money....I still think results would be different if Lance or Levi tried the Breck 100....where the best times are close to 2 hours longer than the Leadville (completely different race).

Would I do the race if I didn't have to pay...sure, but the reality is for the town of Leadville they would be better served putting in single track promoting that riding through the race series so people come all summer to ride instead of just on race weekend.

#19 ·
I was at Leadville and have raced there several times. I would not say the course is the most technical by any means but it is not easy either. I have only ridden SS there and it is very challenging. My theory is that if you haven't ridden or raced there than shut your pie-hole. Anything above 10,000 feet is rough and alot of that course is. Not to mention only a few folks can ride up the powerline climb on a geared bike. I will be entering the lottery again next year and racing the 50 miler. If you think it such an easy "road" course then by all means, show us how it is done. :rolleyes:

#21 ·
Some personal thoughts

Kudos to whoever in Leadville is responsible for the race, which has gotten lots of good press for their area and our sport of mountain biking.
Good to see that, once again, there were some "big name" riders taking part in the race, riding together with -- OK, maybe way in front of -- so many "ordinary" folks.
And look at the ages of the winners! Just goes to show that there is life after 30!
Ride on!

#23 ·
Anyone else notice the average age of the racers who finished in the top 30 and the other groups? First, I picked up on some of the old pros (that I recognize) still crushing it like Weins, Tinker, and Overend - all in the top 30. There are only two racers in the top 30 who are under 30 years old and both of them are pushing 30! There are quite a few 40-somethings and one 50-something (Ned). Wow! That gives this old guy some hope I can still crush it (on my level, probably not theirs) in my 40's and beyond.

#24 ·
Slasa E said:
Anyone else notice the average age of the racers who finished in the top 30 and the other groups? First, I picked up on some of the old pros (that I recognize) still crushing it like Weins, Tinker, and Overend - all in the top 30. There are only two racers in the top 30 who are under 30 years old and both of them are pushing 30! There are quite a few 40-somethings and one 50-something (Ned). Wow! That gives this old guy some hope I can still crush it (on my level, probably not theirs) in my 40's and beyond.
This just means my lame arse can't use the phrase, "I'm getting too old..." anymore.:madman:

#25 ·
My wife and I also noticed the "older" folks riding. Gives me some more incentive to keep after it! Also, it was a hoot to actually see guys I've followed over the years riding so strong. We watched the start of everyone, as well as the finish of the top 30 or so riders, from the same spot four miles out of Leadville.

If interested, I've loaded several of my wife's pics of the "old" guys and the "young" guys on my blog, including a morning shot of old and young rolling abreast just prior to the St. Kevin climb.

#26 ·
The whole "it's not a real mtb race" argument is old. There are plenty of XC race courses that i've raced over the years (Chalk Creek, WP Hill Climb and Battle the Bear immediately come to mind) that weren't "true" race courses, but so what?

Leadville is a hard race, the top level competition is great, the atmosphere is like few other races, so there's a reason so many people show up and do it year after year after year.

Is it maybe a little easier to finish than the Breck 100? Sure. Easier course to complete.

Is it easier to get a top 5? those are some legends racing Leadville...so probably not. And that is in no was dissing Breck 100. FWIW, I've done both and they're both crazy hard in very different ways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.