mtbr member

LBS in CO Springs

Got a buddy of mine that just moved to the Springs, he wants to start mountain biking and is looking for a basic hardtail. Can you all help me point him to some decent local shops in the Springs area? I would appreciate it.

He's looking in the $500-$700 range, probably Kona, Specialized, something along those lines....

Thanks,

Dwayne

mtbr member

Old Town, Criterium

I have not bought any bikes from any of the shops but I have had some good experiences with the staff at Old Town bikes (on Tejon). They have done some repair work very quick while I was in a pinch. They carry Giant, Fisher, Cannondale. I live by Criterium and buy some odds and ends there. The have a nice selection to look at; Giant, Cannondale, Specialized, plus some of the non mass produced bikes or frames; Turner, Monument. They are on Corporate Center Drive off Woodmen, near I 25. COlorado Springs Bike Shop has your basic assortment plus JAmis, but I rarely go there. COlorado Cyclist (East of Downtown on Bijou I think) is a big Santa Cruz dealer and I assume good service but have not purchased anything there. PLus there is Bicycle Village which I have never been in. Performance Bikes off of Austins Bluff has Ironhorse and some others. Tell him to hit a few of those.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Criterium is a good shop for the sub $1000 market. They have a pretty good selection and usually the employees are pretty friendly. Bicycle Village is a larger shop where prices are generally discounted vs. MSRP. If he is looking at a Specialized, he should shop Criterium for the service, price it at BV and then get Criterium to price match (if they would do that--if not, buy at BV).

My favorite LBS is Procycling on Chestnut and Garden of the Gods. They don't have quite as much in the sub $1000 price range, but can order. They carry Rocky Mountain, Gary Fisher, Bianchi and Scott. There isn't a Kona dealer here anymore since Bike Stop closed their retail store. The nearest Kona dealer is in the Denver area.

Inflexable...
    Bicycle Village has the largest selection of new and used bikes your friend is interested in...

Pro Cycling is also my favorite...

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by kchri
    Bicycle Village has the largest selection of new and used bikes your friend is interested in...

Pro Cycling is also my favorite...
    My favorite's ProCycling as well. They do cater more towards higher priced bikes but have some un the $1k and below range, and like Kristian said can order. Always great service out there.

I believe they also just became a Giant dealer too on top of everything else...
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Jackass
    A new LBS just opened on the east side of town by me. Its called Ascent Cycles and its on powers and Stetson hills by the King Soopers and the liqour Store. I havn't bought a bike there but the few accesories I've picked up have been handeld well, super nice people.

SS Chimp

My vote....

is for Pro Cycling.
    all single...all the time

mtbr member
    Pro-Cycling for non-snobbery BSG's (Bike Store Guys). Moderate selection, good prices.

Performance Bike - good shop, moderate selection and good prices.

Colorado Cyclists if you want to be treated like dirt and raped at the cash register.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by pesqueeb
    A new LBS just opened on the east side of town by me. Its called Ascent Cycles and its on powers and Stetson hills by the King Soopers and the liqour Store. I havn't bought a bike there but the few accesories I've picked up have been handeld well, super nice people.
    Sweet! We finally have a bike shop in the neighborhood! It's about friggen time!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Performance has a really good looking bike builder there named like jose or somethign like that,
    style is everything more like style is... keaton likes sausage.
    Scratchy Rat Racing more like stupid Rediculous Rectum.

I hate keaton and joey but love them so much at the same time

LOWER YOUR SADDLES FOR SATAN

on my 3rd wind...

Good job! Pro Cycling!

Quote Originally Posted by xdefx
    Can you all help me point him to some decent local shops in the Springs area? I would appreciate it.
    1. Pro Cycling.
    2. pRo cYcLiNg.
    3. Cycling, Pro.

If u r trying to buy a cheapest bike at a lowest price, internet google is prolly the best way. However, issue w/ the bike or need adj, u r screwed! So go to LBS and pick a bike up where u and ur bike will be in good hands.

There's a reason why PC is mentioned numerous times in this thread. It may not be obvious when you first walk in the shop. Get to know the techs on 1st name basis. They r very approachable. U will be glad u did.

STH
    Last edited by SingleTrackHound; 06-16-2006 at 07:52 AM.