650b me

The latest JCOS land acquisition

613 acres in Coal Creek Canyon. Possible future trail connections to White Ranch and Golden Gate Canyon S.P.:

Jeffco Open Space Wraps Up 2011 with Purchase of 613 Acres

mtbr member
    Excellent! Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Most people have no idea how sweet the possibilities are up there. Imagine being able to ride from the bottom of Coal Creek Canyon all the way to Golden Gate State Park. The other dream being worked is to be able to get from Doudy Draw in BCOS over to the bottom of Coal Creek. Imagine starting at the Marshall Trailhead in Boulder and going all the way to the White Ranch trailhead in Golden without ever touching pavement.

Edit: Thanks to the Booth and Blumm families for being good stewards of the land in Coal Creek Canyon. These two families once owned a large percentage of the acreage between the railroad tracks and Wondervu. They developed some of the land (the Booth family developed Crescent Park, for example), and they preserved other parcels like this one. Coal Creek could have ended up being another Evergreen if these families had sold out. Nothing against Evergreen, but we already have one of those. Coal Creek is definitely a unique place, and gradually with all the Open Space acquisitions, it is looking like it will stay that way.
    Last edited by honkinunit; 12-27-2011 at 07:56 AM.

Rigid in Evergreen
    The close proximity to Boulder makes me nervous. Hopefully the BMA can keep the Boulderites distracted while JeffCo does their thing.

friend of Apex
    very nice
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yes, this COULD have some huge potential plus there's still the GGC / WR connector that is being discussed.

Very cool stuff but we (and COMBA and IMBA) better keep on it or it will back burnered. As it is it may anyway due to budget etc.

I just WISH JCOS would see the light and enroll the help of IMBA more for actual building and planning. JCOS wants to do it all on their own and don't have the resources...plus, when they do finally do things, let's face it...they don't have MTB in mind. Like the new trails at Apex. Pretty mediocre. Compare that to the Buff Creek trails where IMBA has been involved.

But, not to end on a negative note, this is a great acquisition and I will be optimistic about the possibilities.
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by honk View Post
    Most people have no idea how sweet
    lulz, "sweet"