mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Late Spring Trip Destinations?

Planning a 3.5 day trip for the first or second week of May. Wanting to try somewhere new besides Moab or GJ/Fruita but within a comparable range from Denver. Obviously weather is a factor at that time of year as well.

Where would you recommend? Does Veedauwoo/Happy Jack offer enough to interest for 3 days? Is there anything epic in New Mexico (Taos?) that would be clear/open at that time? Open to any suggestions, thanks.
    "Fair is foul and foul is fair." from Macbeth

Apr 2012
    I really like the riding in and around Los Alamos. The higher elevation rides probably won't be doable yet, but there are many very fun trails down low. Santa Fe is fairly close and also has some dry trails.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I haven't been there but hear good things about Pueblo...esp in spring when north might be more questionable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks guys. I will look into the Los Alamos and Pueblo rides.

Someone in the group suggested Cortez. On the search all I basically find is Phil's World and Sand Canyon, but both sound like fun--though different. Anyone ride Cortez and know if there's enough there for 5 or so rides? It is close to Durango, but again I don't know about the weather then.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Epic and May don't really go in the same sentence especially if you rule out moab, fruita and GJ

I would not plan a trip around pueblo. I would definitely head down to hartman rocks in gunnison, hopefully there might be some open trails in crested butte and hit the s-trails in salida. Rainbow trail in salida might be ridable by that time. I think you might have to play it by ear since we don't what old man winter holds for us but you obviously already know this

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Phil's World is amazing but it's not 5 rides worth. It is so good that i would have no issues riding that place two days in a row. Cortez is a long drive from denver though. Durango will have stuff that is ridable in May.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelman View Post
    Thanks guys. I will look into the Los Alamos and Pueblo rides.

Someone in the group suggested Cortez. On the search all I basically find is Phil's World and Sand Canyon, but both sound like fun--though different. Anyone ride Cortez and know if there's enough there for 5 or so rides? It is close to Durango, but again I don't know about the weather then.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GL1 View Post
    I haven't been there but hear good things about Pueblo...esp in spring when north might be more questionable.
    Not for 3.5 days, maybe for one day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If you don't mind a little farther drive how about sedona or gooseberry mesa.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah sounds like you'll have to decide as it gets closer and you see what the weather is like. I'm looking at a similar trip and in the same boat. But, historically GJ/Fruita are ripe for that timeframe and often really nice compared to Denver or any of the other areas. That's where I'm prob headed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah, it may have to be GJ/Fruita again (last five years, but hey--it's great riding).

Thanks for the help. I'll look into your suggestions.

mtbr member
    I'm eyeballing a trip around that time of year too...maybe a bit earlier, say mid April. The place I was thinking was Sedona, AZ, but my duration is more like 6 days...which should give me Pueblo on the way out and back
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It's a farther drive, but what about St. George? There's enough riding there to keep you busy for weeks, and the drive is about as beautiful as it gets (although a little long). You could break it up by riding in Moab or Fruita on the way out (or back) too.

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    What about Vernal, Utah? About the same drive time as Moab. Should be enough there to keep you happy.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    Epic and May don't really go in the same sentence especially if you rule out moab, fruita and GJ

I would not plan a trip around pueblo. I would definitely head down to hartman rocks in gunnison, hopefully there might be some open trails in crested butte and hit the s-trails in salida. Rainbow trail in salida might be ridable by that time. I think you might have to play it by ear since we don't what old man winter holds for us but you obviously already know this...

...Phil's World is amazing but it's not 5 rides worth. It is so good that i would have no issues riding that place two days in a row. Cortez is a long drive from denver though. Durango will have stuff that is ridable in May.
    I agree with pretty much all of this.

Pueblo is a fun day trip.

Here in Salida we usually have at least a day or two's worth of riding in early May. Sometimes more. But like he says, depends on old man winter. You could think about hitting here then driving the hour over to Gunny and hitting Hartman for a sweet day.

Phil's is sweet. I also could do a couple days in a row there. Sand Canyon is a novelty, but I wouldn't go all the way over there if it was just for that. But I agree that Durango can have some good riding available then. I've hit Durango on the way to/from the 12 of Mesa Verde in early May a couple times and had lots to ride, including pretty far up the Colorado Trail. Again, the old man winter variable is key. If you are down in Durango/Cortez you can always hit Farmington if it is still snowy up higher. The Road Apple Rally course down there is decent. A little on the desolate side, but fun riding. Or you could head a couple hours south and hit Gallup, the Dawn 'til Dusk course is worth a little trouble...
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well, our dates are now up in the air (herding cats . . .) but Vernal looks like a promising outlet. Thanks for the tip. I remember reading about it a few years back--might be time to see what it is about.

Thanks for everyone's input and recommendations.

Trips for Kids Denver
    Go ride Placitas in New Mexico the first half day, have lunch then go to White Mesa for the remainder of the day. Go pig out in Old Town at La Placita.

Get up early and go to Gallup for a couple days.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Happy Jack/Vedauwoo>Curt Gowdy>{[insert CO FR trail-Horsetooth/Lyons/Golden Gate/Buff Creek}}>Pueblo. North to South, a little of everything.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...