DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

Late I know, but Deer Creek 11/15/04 - 7am

Sorry for the late notice, but I'll be riding Deer Creek tomorrow morning at 7am. Will do Plymouth and Red Mesa. Anybody who wants to start doing early morning rides at Deer Creek, Waterton, Nelson, give me a yell.

mtbr member

Good job!

Where's Nelson? I've never heard of it.

locked - time out
    Hey DWF - you don't happen to live in Roxborough do you? I've just seen a few posts that mention the area and my girlfriend and I bought a house down here not too long ago.

Just wondering...

Josh

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by sandan
    Where's Nelson? I've never heard of it.
    Nelson Open Space is the new area in Douglas County and it connets to Indian Creek. Access to it is via an easement through the golf course at Roxborough Park. I've not ridden the trails there yet but a buddy has and say's it's pretty good. Nice thing is the access to Indian Creek without having to go through Waterton or via Sedalia/67.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    Hey DWF - you don't happen to live in Roxborough do you? I've just seen a few posts that mention the area and my girlfriend and I bought a house down here not too long ago.

Just wondering...

Josh
    I lived in Roxborough in the early 90's on Telluride St. We live North of there now behind Chatfield Res. If you ever ride Highline Canal you've ridden right past my house as Highline is my property border (we're on the opposite side of the canal than the trail). If you want to hook up for a ride, give me a yell.

locked - time out
    That's cool - those are sweet places between Roxborough and Chatfield.

I'd be up for checking out Nelson sometime (anything really - but Nelson particularly). It might be next week sometime before I'm able to though - I work in Evergreen and it would make it kind of tought to do before or after work right now (but is great for lunchtime rides). Have you heard? They are building a skatepark down here in Roxborough Village within the next year or so.

FAT CHANCE!

Nelson OS

Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Nelson Open Space is the new area in Douglas County and it connets to Indian Creek. Access to it is via an easement through the golf course at Roxborough Park. I've not ridden the trails there yet but a buddy has and say's it's pretty good. Nice thing is the access to Indian Creek without having to go through Waterton or via Sedalia/67.

Does that cut through Arrowhead golf course? Where can someone park to get to this new park? I have been courious as too where those trails off of Indian creek go, but I have always gotten there from Waterton.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by roy harley
    Does that cut through Arrowhead golf course? Where can someone park to get to this new park? I have been courious as too where those trails off of Indian creek go, but I have always gotten there from Waterton.
    Yes access is through the paved trail through the golf course. They might give you grief but it is a public easement. For parking I'd say you could park at one of the pullouts on Rampart Range road or at the Sharptail Trailhead parking lot (no biking there) and then it's a short dirt road ride, maybe a mile or so, to Arrowhead. It sucks that Sharptail is closed to bikes cuz' that's the direct link and would add 4-miles or so of mellow singletrack to Nelson OS. The only other way to access Nelson is from the Sedalia/67 side if you don't cut through Arrowhead.

Before the Roxborough Park residential area got all paranoid about the undersirables (anybody who doesn't live there or those who can't see the logic of having a McMansion in a "secluded, gated community in a mountain environment" where you can piss off your back deck onto your neighbor's car. Can they stack those houses any closer together?) drifting through the neighborhood you could drive right up to County Road 5 and access all the trails from the backside without going through Waterton. Now days they're enforcing the gated access with a guard and there is another locked gate at the beginning of CR5.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Can it be accessed from Indian Creek?

Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Yes access is through the paved trail through the golf course. They might give you grief but it is a public easement. For parking I'd say you could park at one of the pullouts on Rampart Range road or at the Sharptail Trailhead parking lot (no biking there) and then it's a short dirt road ride, maybe a mile or so, to Arrowhead. It sucks that Sharptail is closed to bikes cuz' that's the direct link and would add 4-miles or so of mellow singletrack to Nelson OS. The only other way to access Nelson is from the Sedalia/67 side if you don't cut through Arrowhead.

Before the Roxborough Park residential area got all paranoid about the undersirables (anybody who doesn't live there or those who can't see the logic of having a McMansion in a "secluded, gated community in a mountain environment" where you can piss off your back deck onto your neighbor's car. Can they stack those houses any closer together?) drifting through the neighborhood you could drive right up to County Road 5 and access all the trails from the backside without going through Waterton. Now days they're enforcing the gated access with a guard and there is another locked gate at the beginning of CR5.

If so, where? Wondering if it's a loop or is it a connector to the Roxborough loop and Indian Creek trail? Only saw something about Nelson briefly months ago-meant to look into it and then forgot until you mentioned it here. We should gather up some mtb's and head out to all check it out.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by PattD
    If so, where? Wondering if it's a loop or is it a connector to the Roxborough loop and Indian Creek trail? Only saw something about Nelson briefly months ago-meant to look into it and then forgot until you mentioned it here. We should gather up some mtb's and head out to all check it out.
    It's its own out & back with a loop (lariat) or it can be used as a connector. We're going to get together and ride it Sunday morning if the weather holds. Gotta' go ride Deer Creek right now, I'm running late and this is probably the last day it will be clear & ridable if we start accumulating snow.