mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Last step on agony's escalator removed?

(lurker posting for first time)

Rode the backbone today and made it all the way up the killer hill at the start of 2nd loop, was able to do it mostly because the large rock that made up the last big step/hop near the top is gone and only a dirt mound remains. I could always make it up to that last step but could never clear it due to being completely out of gas at that point. Now that the rock is gone I can make it all the way, yet it's somehow less satisfying because that rock is gone! So, not sure if it was a planned move by trail maintenance folks or someone just took it upon themselves to move it....anyone know?

Also am curious, do folks just ride up this thing on a regular basis? Am i just a total wuss?

mtbr member
    Yes, you are a total wuss. Welcome to the club. I am the wuss club president and only member, so you can be the first secretary and second member. Last time I tried to make the wussy rock I fell on my back like a helpless turtle. Just stayed in this possition until the panting stopped.

I'll miss the stone. I hoped to make it one day.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

VooDoo user.
    I was there on sunday and it was already commin loose on the way out. On the way back it had moved even more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I thought everyone walked up that thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Can anyone describe this location in more detail? "Top of the hill" from which direction? I ride out and back from Fort Collins and I gather most of the traffic starts in Loveland.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

location...

more know by the name "Heart Attack hill". I heard some 1/2 ton all terrain vehicles (horses) caused it. Hope we can get to it soon on our trail work day.

mtbr member
    the only time I rode this trail, I think I made it up about half of this climb before I didnt have the legs to get up a small rock and fell over sideways/backwards in a slow motion, 10 second long clumsy fall that ended with me falling off the trail with my bike on top of me, gasping for breath. Needless to say, I walked up the rest of the way.

im glad no one was around to see me, becuase i'm sure it looked pitiful. definitely not my proudest moment

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    thanks for all the replies. Its good to know there are plenty of others who find it as difficult as i do. I'm sure there are those who have made it, even before the last step was taken out...anyone, anyone...bueller?

Thanks for membership into the wuss club, is there a sash or armband or something i should wear while riding?

i'm not sure how to describe the location much better...starting on the loveland side the second loop is called "hunter loop" i believe. Near the beginning of this loop there is a long steep hill unlike any other at backbone...near the top of it there are a few big rock steps to hop up. you should know it when you ride it.

slow
    Is it the one just below where these guys on the left are standing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    yes, i believe so. in fact the stone that is gone would be just behind them a bit.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by jacknapier
    Also am curious, do folks just ride up this thing on a regular basis?
    I only clean it about 1/2 to 2/3 of the time.

Tame the Penguin!
    Quote Originally Posted by jacknapier
    yes, i believe so. in fact the stone that is gone would be just behind them a bit.
    Yup..that's the rock step that's been removed. This past weekend 10 horses were out on the trail together. With the dry conditions they did a substantial amount of damage to the trail, including breaking apart the rock step at the top of Heart Attack Hill.

Ventanarama and I were out on Sunday after the horses had left and the two big stones we had placed into that step 2 years ago were laying in the middle of the trail torn out, now a hazard. We secured them off trail.

MHTA, the organization we started 3 years ago to do trail work at DBB, has 3 trail days scheduled this year to repair just this sort of thing:

May 24th
    June 28th
    September 27th

If anyone would care to join, we start at 8am on each of those Saturdays at the DBB parking lot off Hwy 34 W.

Remember....horses are your friend as they taste just like chicken

--Beast
    Last edited by El Beastro; 04-09-2008 at 02:11 PM.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by El Beastro
    If anyone would care to join, we start at 8pm on each of those Saturdays at the DBB parking lot off Hwy 34 W.
    Should we bring lights?

Tame the Penguin!
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Should we bring lights?

--Beast

Bodhisattva
    Now I have an excuse for not making it
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Is it the one just below where these guys on the left are standing?
    I clean it easy going down

MTB B'dos
    Would it be possible to re-schedule the Sept trail day to something earlier, like 2nd week if I'm there as I feel like I should give back to DBB for all the joy it gave me in only 3 rides Oh and could any who rode with me explain where this portion is? Only 2 areas I remember being really nasty, the big step up after the downward hairpin and the serious rocky hairpin soon after. Anyone remember if I cleared it, or did we even ride it? Just FYI the attached pic is of the knarly hairpin on the Hard loop.

Quote Originally Posted by El Beastro
    .................................................M HTA, the organization we started 3 years ago to do trail work at DBB, has 3 trail days scheduled this year to repair just this sort of thing:

May 24th
    June 28th
    September 27th

If anyone would care to join, we start at 8am on each of those Saturdays at the DBB parking lot off Hwy 34 W.

Remember....horses are your friend as they taste just like chicken

--Beast
    Attached Images Attached Images
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hunter loop... OK , I think I know the spot but the photo above doesn't look like it to me. The "loop" description throw me as the other way is horses only I think. I've been practicing on this trail for an off road bikepacking trip (65lb bike) and I've been able to clear the easier loop of "Laughing Horse" loop (next loop north). I don't feel very strong so I would be super suprised if I was cleaning climbs others had trouble with. Yeah, downhill no problem, but no way in hell can I lift my 65 lb. bike over that ledge! Where did the rock go? It's not in the middle of the trail I guess.