mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Lair O' Bear vs Uppper MT. Falcon Trails

I've never been to either trail system and was wondering how they compare for an evening ride after work. If anyone has any suggestions about the best route(s) through these trail systems and the best way to combine them, I'd also appreciate it. I was hoping to avoid the big initial climb from the bottom of Mt. Falcon.

Which way? Uphill.
    LOTB won't be enjoyable at all unless you do the Bear Creek Trail that connects it to Pence Park (which is a short ride on the road to Mt. Falcon), but considering that you want to avoid the climb at Falcon then I would assume you wouldn't like that too much as well (though it is easier and it is broken up, but longer distance)

The top of Falcon is probably what you want, lots of fun riding, make sure to check out Parmalee. Eventually you'll come to love the climb at Falcon, but for now go out and have fun.

You can connect the two parks, about 20 miles total. Start at the bottom of Falcon, climb up and out, follow the pavement down to the main road, take a right for another mile or two. Just after passing Pence Park (on your left) you will see some singletrack off to the right, follow this down to LOTB, go out LOTB and ride the road back down to Morrison and then over to your starting point at the base of Mt. Falcon. Nice ride, don't really recommend it on the weekend as the canyon is a lot busier then and there are a ton of people at LOTB.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug
    You can connect the two parks, about 20 miles total. Start at the bottom of Falcon, climb up and out, follow the pavement down to the main road, take a right for another mile or two. Just after passing Pence Park (on your left) you will see some singletrack off to the right, follow this down to LOTB, go out LOTB and ride the road back down to Morrison and then over to your starting point at the base of Mt. Falcon. Nice ride, don't really recommend it on the weekend as the canyon is a lot busier then and there are a ton of people at LOTB.
    IMO, this loop is more fun the opposite direction. Just another option.

Which way? Uphill.
    True the other way is nice as well, but you spend more time on the roads so I tend to do it climbing up Falcon.

I guess it depends on whether you would rather have more up on pavement than dirt or more down on pavement than dirt.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

recovering racer

Upper Falcon

My normal Falcon ride:

Start east parking lot - climb Castle Trail (big climb), go past shelter to the top and make a left onto Parmalee Gulch. At end of Parmalee make left and go up Tower Loop (steep short climb) descend down Meadow Trail to Ute Trail, stay right and head to Devil's Elbow. Ride Ute/Devil's Elbow counter clockwise then head back down Castle to the parking lot.

From the top parking lot I'd recommend Parmalee Gulch (it'll be on the right). You can skip Tower Loop, but Ute/Devil's Elbow counter clockwise is fun.

Rode LOTB from the east side up and over and then back down BCT/74...too much road for my taste...don't get me wrong, I ride road 4-5 days a week, but when I mountain bike I want to be on dirt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Thanks guys

Based on everyone's input, we'll do the upper Mt. Falcons first and work up to the combo ride at a later date. Whaaahooo!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=BipedZed]My normal Falcon ride:

From the top parking lot I'd recommend Parmalee Gulch (it'll be on the right). You can skip Tower Loop, but Ute/Devil's Elbow counter clockwise is fun.
    QUOTE]

I think that the best way is to head out on the left side of the Ute trail, and then come back the same way. The north-eastern section of the trail is a lot of fun; the other side pretty much blows.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Couple of my favorite rides.

Top of Falcon, I normally take the right onto Parmalee, rigth to Ute trail, riding it couner-clockwise, taking the right to Devils elbow, riding the loop couner-clockwise, return and turn right to complete Ute, then across and up Tower trail, down and Castle trail back to the parking. I try to design the ride to include as much climbing as possible.

LOTB, start at the parking lot, up the creek, then up Bear Creek trail to Pence Park, turn around and head back down, and for grins, run the Bruin bluff loop counter clockwise.

Bottom of Falcon, for a timed run, I take the climb, past the shelter, turn right and follow the trail to the end. For a longer ride, take the climb, follow the Castle trail toward the upper parking lot, then turn left on Parmalee, then Meadow trail back to Castle and back down.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

recovering racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
    I think that the best way is to head out on the left side of the Ute trail, and then come back the same way. The north-eastern section of the trail is a lot of fun; the other side pretty much blows.
    What, you don't like steep short technical climbs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BipedZed
    What, you don't like steep short technical climbs?
    Well, I like the fun ones; but when it's loose crap followed by a water-bar followed by more loose crap and more water-bars, I'll take a pass. The other side is technical, too, but what I like to call fun-technical, not annoying-technical.

recovering racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
    Well, I like the fun ones; but when it's loose crap followed by a water-bar followed by more loose crap and more water-bars, I'll take a pass. The other side is technical, too, but what I like to call fun-technical, not annoying-technical.
    I think you just described most of the Jeffco parks. My favorite place to ride is White Ranch because of the challenging technical climbs and descents (outermost cc loop - Shorthorn, Longhorn, Rawhide, Mustang). To me Ute/Devil's Elbow is like a taste of White Ranch in an otherwise fairly tame ride. But then again, I like to climb challenging technical stuff like loose crap into water bars.

Anyway, it's all good...