mtbr member
    Apr 2005

KUNC story on closing Colorado Trail to mtn bikes...

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/ku...CLE_ID=1139148

Good story. It would be really sad to this trail close to mtn bikes. I rode it from the wheeler TH to Searle Pass yesterday. Very nice trail.

I'm a unitard!
    Quote Originally Posted by afox
    http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/ku...CLE_ID=1139148

Good story. It would be really sad to this trail close to mtn bikes. I rode it from the wheeler TH to Searle Pass yesterday. Very nice trail.
    I rode Miner close to the Wheeler junction and back down yesterday. What a nice piece of descending. Would hate to see that go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    That would be the Continental Divide Trail and not the Colorado Trail. Still scary.
    WTF

I'm a unitard!
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyturn
    That would be the Continental Divide Trail and not the Colorado Trail. Still scary.
    Have you been keeping up with that story???
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...647282,00.html

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfool
    Have you been keeping up with that story???
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...647282,00.html
    What an absurd comment from Greg Warren. If he doesn't want a pack string up there and there were so "many" mountain bikers, then just ban horses and be done with the pack strings. How fricking ridiculous.

I'm a unitard!
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    What an absurd comment from Greg Warren. If he doesn't want a pack string up there and there were so "many" mountain bikers, then just ban horses and be done with the pack strings. How fricking ridiculous.
    I definitely didn't see a pack string yesterday. I saw 3 people total. Two really friendly hikers and a unicycler that didn't say a word. I imagine his jewels had been ravaged by the descent.

mtbr member
    The trail was established to provide scenic and nonmotorized recreational experiences while conserving natural, historic and cultural resources along the Continental Divide.

Warren said he biked part of the trail near Monarch Pass last weekend and encountered 90 mountain bikers, about 10 motorcyclists and four hikers in a three-hour period.

SIMPLE MATH:
    Part 1 really dummied down:
    OK 90 MTB'rs + 4 hikers = 94 trail users.
    Ratio of MTB to non MTB'rs: 90/94 = 96%

Part 2 not particularly dummied down:
    Now weigh the actual mileage of usage in average 4 hour cruise:
    Say the average hiker crawls 2 MPH
    Total hiking mileage is 4 * 2 * 3= 24 miles

Say the average MTB'r rides say 10 MPH
    90 * 10 * 3 = 2700 miles

Part 3:
    Mileage weighted usage
    Hiking: 24 miles / 2724 miles = 0.88%
    MTB'rs 2700 miles / 2724 miles = 99.12%

Conclusion:
    The Continental Divide is a Mountainbiking usage trail. It will stay a MTB trail. Just try to enforce a closure. Stupid...stupid...stupid...where oh where did these guys get their credentials?

If the Forest Service is funded and charged with effective sensible management they would be considering closing this area to ALL except MTB'rs. OK this is a bit extreme, so let's say the sensible thing would thus be to close the trail to all EXCEPT human leg and lung powered usage. And anyone littering, cutting trail, dragging brake, disprespecting the flora and fauna...will be publicly flayed by those who respect.

Dad says I have to do chores now, then homework, but he did let me post again.

Simple statistical extrapolation for those that have no clue, or perhaps have never tasted glue.
    Last edited by CSPRINGS; 09-04-2007 at 07:11 PM.
    C.SPRINGS

Yappy little dog!
    I like that! You need to send this to Warren because I don't think he made it out of fifth grade math.

Quote Originally Posted by CSPRINGS
    The trail was established to provide scenic and nonmotorized recreational experiences while conserving natural, historic and cultural resources along the Continental Divide.

Warren said he biked part of the trail near Monarch Pass last weekend and encountered 90 mountain bikers, about 10 motorcyclists and four hikers in a three-hour period.

SIMPLE MATH:
    Part 1 really dummied down:
    OK 90 MTB'rs + 4 hikers = 94 trail users.
    Ratio of MTB to non MTB'rs: 90/94 = 96%

Part 2 not particularly dummied down:
    Now weigh the actual mileage of usage in average 4 hour cruise:
    Say the average hiker crawls 2 MPH
    Total hiking mileage is 4 * 2 * 3= 24 miles

Say the average MTB'r rides say 10 MPH
    90 * 10 * 3 = 2700 miles

Part 3:
    Mileage weighted usage
    Hiking: 24 miles / 2724 miles = 0.88%
    MTB'rs 2700 miles / 2724 miles = 99.12%

Conclusion:
    The Continental Divide is a Mountainbiking usage trail. It will stay a MTB trail. Just try to enforce a closure. Stupid...stupid...stupid...where oh where did these guys get their credentials?

If the Forest Service is funded and charged with effective sensible management they would be considering closing this area to ALL except MTB'rs. OK this is a bit extreme, so let's say the sensible thing would thus be to close the trail to all EXCEPT human leg and lung powered usage. And anyone littering, cutting trail, dragging brake, disprespecting the flora and fauna...will be publicly flayed by those who respect.

Dad says I have to do chores now, then homework, but he did let me post again.

Simple statistical extrapolation for those that have no clue, or perhaps have never tasted glue.