mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Kokopelli two days...

We just tried to do Kokopelli in two days, starting in Fruita, and with a support vehicle. We actually did pretty well, but did not finish. Humbling experience early in the year! Day one was great, enjoyed the techy singletrack on all the loops, and made it to Westwater tired but real happy. Took a break under the railroad bridge, got fired up (coffee) and blasted - tail wind and all - to Dewey Bridge. 7:45 am to 4:20 (!) Feeling quite smug, we drank beer and ate chips to our heart's content. Day 2 we left a chilly camp before 7:30 and started climbing, and would climb, push, dodge, and occasionally descend for the next 8 hours. We got kicked. Soft sand on the climbs, lots and lots of false summits, and something new to us this year - heat. We made it to Castle Rock Camp, met the car, and our butts told us it was time to stop. Yes we stopped within striking distance. It was a tough time, but when reality (really sore butts - legs moving super slow) strikes you may just have to listen. Great ride - I will try it again - I think my advice would be to try it from Moab, get the hardest stuff done with straightforward climbs, and hope for a tailwind as you cruise through Cisco. Lots of doubletrack, but what a country we live in - beautiful!
    bikeone

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing the insights. I was just starting to think about doing the same ride. Now I am duly warned. Day 2 looked hard in the guides. Guess it is brutal in reality.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Team Inflexible
    Thats a lot of trail to cram in two days. Second half is the tough one. Altough there are people that do the Kokopellin in under 24hrs.

I found a 4 day self supported trip to be perfect.
    Loma - Westwater
    Westwater - Cowskin
    Cowskin - Polar Mesa
    Polar Mesa to Moab

ride
    Good effort, Andy. I'm sure you had fun though. Next year?
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yes, I think another shot at this ride has got to be in the plan. It is a big ride, big views, big hills, great downhills and the occasional fun techy section. More than anything, it's about being in this country that we all have seen for years from a far, but to be in it, and to appreciate it. The possibilities are endless: self supported, in a day, three days, four days with a big party. It's an American classic. Can't believe I waited so long to ride it.
    bikeone

I dream on two wheels
    We did the 4 day option and day 3, climbing from cowskin camp to the next camp on top, before you drop back down on the pavement, was tough. Pretty much a solid day in the saddle climbing.
    Good effort indeed.

-Simon
    Whiskey

Day 2 we left a chilly camp before 7:30 and started climbing, and would climb, push, dodge, and occasionally descend for the next 8 hours. We got kicked. Soft sand on the climbs, lots and lots of false summits, and something new to us this year - heat. We made it to Castle Rock Camp, met the car, and our butts told us it was time to stop.
    agreed. dewey bridge to lps is absolutely demoralizing.

i swore i'd never do it again (literally cursing out loud at the climbs...and nobody within 15 miles to hear)....but now it's tempting me back to conquer it all in one shot, just because its such a pain in the balls.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yup, I'd throw this ride out there with all those rides that possess the qualities of a lifetime challenge. We all create future objectives to strive for - and I'd say just about no matter how you'd ride the Kokopelli it is going to throw some serious hazzard into your plans.
    bikeone

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjensen
    Yup, I'd throw this ride out there with all those rides that possess the qualities of a lifetime challenge. We all create future objectives to strive for - and I'd say just about no matter how you'd ride the Kokopelli it is going to throw some serious hazzard into your plans.
    Mmmm... Hazzard...