Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kokopelli Trail

Shattering Glass

Kokopelli Trail

http://www.bikerpelli.com/index.php

Just signed up for a May Kokopelli trip for the "6th" time. ;-)

This is a great way to see the backcountry of Moab and Fruita if you've never been and the people who run it are awesome. Wildflowers popping, lizards leapin', sinful stretches of singletrack, remote...

There are two trips the first week of May and it sells out quite quick.

I dream on two wheels
    a Buddy and I did it self supported last year in Oct. and it was awesome!

-Simon
    Whiskey

Shattering Glass
    Definitely self supportable since it parallels the Colorado river with access points if you want to stash or just carry your own. I will do it in the fall. Need a new drug after this year like ... Durango hut trip to Moab ;-)

starladear
    Feb 2004
    I've heard great things about that trip at my office. Going to check it out. Thanks

"I want it now!"
    Just remember Bikerpelli is a bare-bones operation. Don't expect shelter (other than your tent) and a weather "option." If you get weather, you are either riding or riding. Prepare for Colorado spring weather!

Team Inflexible

6 times!

Maybe give it a go self supported next time. Much more adventure and less cost if you have the right gear.

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by dash
    Definitely self supportable since it parallels the Colorado river with access points if you want to stash or just carry your own. I will do it in the fall. Need a new drug after this year like ... Durango hut trip to Moab ;-)
    This is on my list also.

We stashed our food and water near the campsite we were staying at. Only one critter got into our trail mix and ate everything but the raisins. Bastards....

-Simon
    Whiskey

not actually bad :)
    Got a couple buddies that just signed up for the 4/29 one.
    Anyone else here doing that one?
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    May 2004

Good job! Kokopelli / COPMOBA

If you are considering riding the Kokopelli, consider the Tour De Bloom May 13 - 16. It is an excellent ride supported by COPMOBA and it is their primary fund raiser for the year.

This is the group to thank if you enjoy riding in Fruita, Grand Junction or the surrounding areas. They do most of the trial maintenance and building, along with much of the public relations work between the user groups and the BLM. Please check them out at http://copmoba.org/

Rolling
    [url]

Just signed up for a May Kokopelli trip for the "6th" time. .
    Wow, you are an addict.

Like others here, I have the urge to do it self-supported. I just can't decide if I want to spend one or two nights out.

Dash, after doing it 5 times, do you still ride the "yellowjacket" section or screw it and take the road?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I signed up for the 5/6 ride, it's my first. Been eyeing it for the last few years and talked a riding buddy into doing it this year.

$435...yikes. i think it cost me $15 in food to do almost all of it unsupported last fall. and i'm not planning on doing it again. there's like 80 miles in the middle that are pretty darn boring for it to be worth that much.

Shattering Glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude
    Maybe give it a go self supported next time. Much more adventure and less cost if you have the right gear.
    LoL

You are so right, but every year a friend or family member shows up to ride and there I go again. It doesn't take a lot of reconvincing but indeed this is my last and will use my experience well. Thanks

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit
    $435...yikes. i think it cost me $15 in food to do almost all of it unsupported last fall. and i'm not planning on doing it again. there's like 80 miles in the middle that are pretty darn boring for it to be worth that much.

Nothing wrong with paying for other people to do the work. I found doing the white rim sagged cost me a lot in the long term. But the challenge of totally self supported or sagged is fun in itself.

Shattering Glass
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Wow, you are an addict.

Like others here, I have the urge to do it self-supported. I just can't decide if I want to spend one or two nights out.

Dash, after doing it 5 times, do you still ride the "yellowjacket" section or screw it and take the road?
    Always yellowjacket #1 because it's fun and #2 because sometimes the weather becomes a tad angry and we need to bypass the big climb after dewey bridge (whats left of it) A tad addicted.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit
    I think you're being generous...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Got a couple buddies that just signed up for the 4/29 one.
    Anyone else here doing that one?
    Yep, a buddy and I are doing this one. It'll be my second trip with Bikerpelli.

I don't find the $435 to be steep. The food is awesome (better than you could ever do self supported!!), the campsites they secure are amazing and if you don't show up at a checkpoint, they'll come get you.

They support you in camp and you support yourself along the trail.

I had a blast last year, except for the last half day... that thunder/hail storm really sucked and make Porcupine Rim unridable. If nothing else, I want to do it again just to get the PR payoff!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

The $$ seems like a lot at 1st, but if you break it down, it's not that bad.
    The food, support, campsites, massages (free??), drive back to Fruita, etc etc all cost money!
    Ask around and meet Mike H and Ken W - good guys. I think they'll have a couple others with them too.
    Come on Ken - chime in - I know you're lurking!!
    Old Codger

Shattering Glass
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I think you're being generous...
    But what an 80 miles of mixed terrain, wildflowers and killer views! This trail is worth it alone for the beginning and end (UPS) and finding out you can actually complete a ride like this. That's kind of like saying the white rim sucks and you know that's not true. It's cool to chill with your buddies riding side by side and taking it all in. Are their any trails with 150 miles of singletrack. I'd like to move up

Rolling
    But what an 80 miles of mixed terrain, wildflowers and killer views! This trail is worth it alone for the beginning and end (UPS) and finding out you can actually complete a ride like this. That's kind of like saying the white rim sucks and you know that's not true. It's cool to chill with your buddies riding side by side and taking it all in. Are their any trails with 150 miles of singletrack. I'd like to move up
    I agree with you. Nothing can describe the experience. People run Marathons all the time in boring cities. They didn't necessarily do it to see Boston, Denver, etc....

I have done the white rim three times, once in one day....and plan to do it again this year again.

The challenge and accomplishment make up for the letdown that might be seen if that particular section was done by itself.

So when you get past (the former) Dewey Bridge, is the climb up Onion Creek?
    And, the last stretch is either Sand Flats Rd or UPS/LPS/Porc?
    Old Codger

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Yah... don't get me wrong. It was a fun trip - big group of mates and I did it self-supported back in... '97 maybe? But that was enough. The riding is mediocre other than the ST at the start and the "goods" at the end.

And yes... there are trails with 150 miles of singletrack.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    So when you get past (the former) Dewey Bridge, is the climb up Onion Creek?
    No - you climb straight south away from Dewey. You're east of Onion Creek... climb up to Fisher Mesa. It's all doubletrack/jeep road through that area.

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    No - you climb straight south away from Dewey. You're east of Onion Creek... climb up to Fisher Mesa. It's all doubletrack/jeep road through that area.
    So where from Top of the World?
    I 4x4'd up TOW once, and thought it may be fun to come down on a bike. Not sure about going up.
    Great view up there. Even better than Porc's overlook IMHO.
    Old Codger

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    So where from Top of the World?
    I 4x4'd up TOW once, and thought it may be fun to come down on a bike. Not sure about going up.
    Great view up there. Even better than Porc's overlook IMHO.
    Dude... it was like 12 years ago. I have no idea. Sorry.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast