Thread: KOH open class

Your bike is incorrigible

KOH open class

So who else is going to enter their junk this year?

King of The Hammers Creates New Race for Stock Vehicles | Ultra4Racing.com

i like rocks
    I don't know about my rig that for sure.... but we are talking about attending as spectators.

this will be the second year for the stock class, last year won by a rig built by savvy/currie.

some nice builds on pirate4x4.com, some guys are giving it a good run.
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

Inspector Gadget
    Funny to see KOH talked about here. I raced it this year I might LCQ it again.
    KOH open class-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341808796.550434.jpg
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

Green Chile Enforcer
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka View Post
    So who else is going to enter their junk this year?

King of The Hammers Creates New Race for Stock Vehicles | Ultra4Racing.com
    Let's see the junk you are entering. The course looked pretty easy last year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    What are you doing posting this garbage on a mountain bike forum, chrissake.

Awesomist™
    If our car survives Baja this fall, we might be in.

The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    Let's see the junk you are entering. The course looked pretty easy last year.
    I want to see how those guys with the Toyota mini truck from last year do this time around. The fact that they survived the entire race when there were so many DNFs is what go me thinking about my rig: 91 4Runner with everything you could possibly throw at it. Trouble is, I'm continually working on it, and I can't see an end in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by euroford View Post

this will be the second year for the stock class, last year won by a rig built by savvy/currie.

some nice builds on pirate4x4.com, some guys are giving it a good run.
    Didn't they amend the rules after that rig received so much hate? From what I read in Crawl, the stock frame was just along for the ride.

i like rocks
    i think your thinking of poison spiders rigs. as neat as that thing was, and as honored as i was for them to choose such an awesome frame, they just tacked a short piece of cj3a frame into what was obviously an unlimited class rig.
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

i think your thinking of poison spiders rigs. as neat as that thing was, and as honored as i was for them to choose such an awesome frame, they just tacked a short piece of cj3a frame into what was obviously an unlimited class rig.
    Yeah, that's right. It was Poison Spider. Kind of disappointing to see a company take advantage of a loophole in a new rule the very first year.

i like rocks
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka View Post
    Yeah, that's right. It was Poison Spider. Kind of disappointing to see a company take advantage of a loophole in a new rule the very first year.
    they were pretty clear about the fact that this is exactly what they were doing, pushing the edge of the rules as far as they could go. thats racing. i'm glad to hear the rules are revised more to the 'spirit' of the rules.

i did find the steering setup interesting and innovative, despite not working out very well. i'd like to see something along those lines become fully developed.
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

they were pretty clear about the fact that this is exactly what they were doing, pushing the edge of the rules as far as they could go. thats racing. i'm glad to hear the rules are revised more to the 'spirit' of the rules.

i did find the steering setup interesting and innovative, despite not working out very well. i'd like to see something along those lines become fully developed.
    I understand that all is fair in racing. What bothered me is the thought it might discourage some from entering the open class with their much-closer-to-stock rigs.

The aspect of KOH I never liked was the fact that it was comprised of $100k buggies that would last maybe two seasons before needing to be retired. This was something that only a very limited number of people could afford. Sure, the there was some trickle-down of technology into mainstream crawling, but it was no where near the same as someone buying a junk truck and turning it into something that could crawl on a limited budget. Then along comes the open class, and it looked like an opportunity for the average Joe to get involved.

I don't think Poison Spider wrecked it for everyone, but if more big companies did the same thing, it would nullify the point of the new class.