mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Klunkerz in Salida

Rented a house in Salida over the weekend and skied Monarch, fun mtn but no fresh snow. When we got back to the house there were a couple 40+lb cruisers in the garage. Me and a buddy decided to go check the singletrack that was just at the edge of town. While it was slow going uphill, I have not had this much fun going down in a long time. long wheel base and only coaster brakes make for hairy and hilarious fun times on the bike.

Just thought I'd share.

"Get on your bike and ride!"

MK_
    carpe mañana

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Heck yeah! I love klunking!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Love the pads on that bike. Had the black-n-white version on my BMX bikes as a kid, have the B-N-W Vans. Mr. Hand don't like em. Rad.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Nice! I did the same thing last summer. I just bought a house, and the previous owners left a beach cruiser in the flower bed that they were just using as an ornament letting vines and flowers grow on it. One afternoon, after a few beers, I found myself checking it out and noticing that there was virtually NO rust on the thing, and everything looked to be in pretty good shape even though it must have been sitting there, in the elements, with flat tires, for at least four or five years. I decided to see if the tires would hold air, and they did!

Next thing I knew, I was lapping some of my local trails on it with my dog. So fun! Had to push it up some hills, but the downhills were so worth it. Coaster brake skidding on the turns and jumping a few small hits on the side. Super fun once I got the hang of it.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    Nice! I did the same thing last summer. I just bought a house, and the previous owners left a beach cruiser in the flower bed that they were just using as an ornament letting vines and flowers grow on it. One afternoon, after a few beers, I found myself checking it out and noticing that there was virtually NO rust on the thing, and everything looked to be in pretty good shape even though it must have been sitting there, in the elements, with flat tires, for at least four or five years. I decided to see if the tires would hold air, and they did!

Next thing I knew, I was lapping some of my local trails on it with my dog. So fun! Had to push it up some hills, but the downhills were so worth it. Coaster brake skidding on the turns and jumping a few small hits on the side. Super fun once I got the hang of it.
    About 10 years ago I was riding from my house to the bank in Salida, found a pair of Schwinn Varsity cruisers leaning against a fence with a Free sign on them. Took them home and they were my ex and my townies. Eventually I got back to riding a variety of old mountain bikes from the 90s for grocery-getters because of wanting brakes that work, better cornering, better curb-hopping, etc.

I think the ex still uses hers though.

Lots of old classics around here. Having a workable rusty cruiser, especially one that's pre-60s is a status symbol. Also lugged steel road bikes from the 70s and 80s. Panasonics, Raleighs, Univegas, etc.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    About 10 years ago I was riding from my house to the bank in Salida, found a pair of Schwinn Varsity cruisers leaning against a fence with a Free sign on them. Took them home and they were my ex and my townies. Eventually I got back to riding a variety of old mountain bikes from the 90s for grocery-getters because of wanting brakes that work, better cornering, better curb-hopping, etc.

I think the ex still uses hers though.

Lots of old classics around here. Having a workable rusty cruiser, especially one that's pre-60s is a status symbol. Also lugged steel road bikes from the 70s and 80s. Panasonics, Raleighs, Univegas, etc.
    Mine is an RD, looks pretty old but who knows. The great thing about them is they are built like tanks and it's hard to make them rust because they are designed to be used in salt water environments. Salida is a great town for cruisers, but Summit, not so much. I still ride mine around the neighborhood though.

On another note, an old friend of mine is really big into Klunkerz and made this video. Pretty funny, but I guess it's big in the PNW

Klunking 2 on Vimeo