mtbr member

... and if we just ... Klaus annual Winterpark rant

I know I shouldn't... but cannot resist:

Winterpark has a new filter feature on the Boulevard. I hope somebody can post a picture. It is a (kind of) rock garden! A rock garden? There are no other rocks on that trail! But the feature works. I definitely prevents uphill traffic. I saw somebody failing on it with my own eyes. Just a bit high up on the trail. Shouldn't that feature be at the bottom?

Besides that: Perfect Crankworxs celebration! Well done.

I guess JCOS was in attendance. Mountain Goat has been sanitized. Now it is almost as extreme as Cowboy Up in Keystone. But there is a new lift that cuts pedal time to and from it to about 50% of ridiculous.

Besides that: Tables, small launch pads and wood everywhere. Quite a bit of new stuff. The guys are going somewhere.

They won't see much of me this year anymore, though... $34 per day & person is too much. Cannot see myself going there 6 times to make a season pass pay. No seriously. I'd lose all the survival skills for challenging places like Keystone, SolVista and Angel Fire.

But I had a blast today (and yesterday). Seeing some outstanding slope style action and Flying Brian Lopes today made up for a lot.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Thread Terrorist
    Yeah, I got a laugh of the filter feature as well. It is the hardest feature on that run all together!

WP is going somewhere, it'll just take time.

The MSC Race at Sol VIsta was fantastic! You could see everything from any given pit! The runs were wild fun!

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Agreed, it was a great weekend. There was almost to much going on.

Between doing practice for the MSC DH and heading up to Winterpark to watch slopestyle on Saturday I was in non-stop fun mode from early Friday morning until the end of the weekend.

It was also great to see that Lopes slipped away from Winterpark to race the MSC dual slalom.

This is my first year racing and congratulations to the MSC guys for making that series what it is - insanely fun to be a part of!

Thunder Chunky
    Are you talking about the rockgarden at the very top of boulevard or is there another one now? If youre talking about the one on top then yeah its definetly a joke lol all of about 10 feet long...
    Purple Popcorn

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman133
    Are you talking about the rockgarden at the very top of boulevard or is there another one now? If youre talking about the one on top then yeah its definetly a joke lol all of about 10 feet long...
    I still saw idiots walking it with the lifties yelling at them that if they can't ride it then they shouldn't go down the trail.

I heart the drops
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid
    I still saw idiots walking it with the lifties yelling at them that if they can't ride it then they shouldn't go down the trail.
    I know I had to yell at one myself that was stopped on the top of the step up box to the left of the berm I am lucky he actually moved.
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsaam
    I know I had to yell at one myself that was stopped on the top of the step up box to the left of the berm I am lucky he actually moved.
    That damn fake fox thats sitting there scares me the first ride of every day Im up there lol
    Purple Popcorn

Slopestyle Rider
    That damn fake fox thats sitting there scares me the first ride of every day Im up there lol
    Dude I work here and it freaks me the F out every time...

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    Dude I work here and it freaks me the F out every time...
    Im blaming that thing for making my back tire fall off the box resulting in a splinter in my butt lol
    Purple Popcorn

Slopestyle Rider
    Klaus, how is Mtn. Goat sanitized?

My leg feels funny
    LOL the first time I came up to it (hauling ass) I was wondering why that thing wasn't taking off. Almost made me go off the side.

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid
    LOL the first time I came up to it (hauling ass) I was wondering why that thing wasn't taking off. Almost made me go off the side.
    haha yeah first time I rode it I thought it was going to run out in front of me...too bad when I crashed it was the last run of the day and I had gotten used to it being there lol
    Purple Popcorn

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    It was also great to see that Lopes slipped away from Winterpark to race the MSC dual slalom.
    Watching Lopes in the MSC DS finals was friggin phenomenal.. in fact, all the DS final rounds were fantastic this weekend. Many props to the MSC and SV folks for a great weekend of events.

Not sure why anyone would stop at WP with SV just up the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    Klaus, how is Mtn. Goat sanitized?
    Rocks have been stacked to bridge former steps, depressions and ditches. Also in some cases rocks have been taken out to create a more smooth & rideable line. All of this happened in the upper part and close to that construction side.

Not to be confused with the new launch pads. Also created by stacking rocks. I don't mind those at all. Not at all

On top of that I miss one skinny bridge. It has been replaced by a wide, shiny new one. And a filter feature drop close to where the trail widens to double track is gone.

I suspect this is all part of Crankworx. The attempt being to make the run save for DH. But I might be wrong. Let me know when you find out.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Here are my thoughts on WP after riding it Monday after Crankworx CO.

- A 4" travel bike is plenty for an experienced rider, although more travel will go easier on your body - but def not necessary (even doing the "large" drop on Bootcamp or bombing Mt. Goat).

- Table jumps on Blvd and Bootcamp are nice. Jumps to flat are not much fun IMO, but peeps gotta start somewhere I guess.

- Cheyenne and Long trail are nice, mostly buff singletrack that flows nicely. I would like to see some of those water bars built up a bit and linked with a backside/tranny for ultimate giggle factor.

- Second lift is a welcomed addition, but more trails are needed, IMO.

- Rock garden on top of Blvd is fun. Is that really supposed to be a filter feature? Kinda smooth for a rock garden. But again, peeps gotta start somewhere.

- Still plenty of pedalling

Overall I'd recommend WP to the XC'er who wants to ride a lift, rail berms and practice jumps and drops. But for the experienced DH'er? You'd get bored pretty quick and you will curse when riding to/from Mt. Goat.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by SylentK
    Here are my thoughts on WP after riding it Monday after Crankworx CO.
    Was wondering when you were gonna do some non-practice runs. Good work on Sunday, btw!
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!