Thread: kid bike

mtbr member

kid bike

So my daughter is turning 9 next month and wants to start riding with her old man. I am going to get her a bike but i am not sure which to get. you guys have any suggestions or have one that you wanna get rid of ?

Your retarded
    Talk to nomad_rdr. His son's about that age and is hitting most stuff that pops is on his Kona Stinky Jr. That kid's going to absolutely slay trails when he gets older.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Bad Andy
    Specialized HotRock has worked great for my 10 year old. You can pick used ones up REAL cheap. My son's was $75.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've seen the Stinky jr's go for around $500-600 on ebay. One recently came with a set of custome 20" disc wheels that the grom had outgrown!!! There are several other companies that make 24" bikes (older GT that I'm keeping my eye on).

hehe ...you said "member"
    My 8 and 7 year olds both ride 24" bikes (Trek and Specialized) with front suspension that are good bikes and not too heavy. Originally, I got my son a full suspension cheapo from target - the thing weighed a TON! He couldn't ride it at all because of the weight.

I got them both used at Bicycle Village - they have a trade in program much like with the kids ski gear - and the bikes are both in great shape. Best part, they are actually nice bikes that are worth working on, so they're learning to do basic maintenance too
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    My neice has a 2006 Specialized Hotrock A1 FS 24 21-Speed Girls that she has outgrown and barely ridden. Here is the original picture:

Let me know if you are interested
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

HAL likes junior racing
    There are several full suspension 24 inch bike out there.
    - Specialized FSR $650
    - Kona Stinky Jr. $1300
    - Scott Spark RC Jr. $1100
    - Scott Spark Jr. $600-$700

I'm leaning toward the RC Jr. It is a claimed 26.5 lbs and comes with a 9 speed rear (almost all kids bikes are 7 speed). It's the lightest of the bunch. My son is 7 years old and weighs 60 lbs.

For hardtails, all the manufacturers make a model in the $300 range that is probably about 27 lbs. There are two models that stand out for a little more.

Ibex alpine 440 ($400 but sold out for this year)
    Scott Scale RC Jr. ($800)

Again, the Scott just rules. They claim 22.3 lbs.

HAL likes junior racing
    Ohh...and I weighed the Walmart special Mongoose full suspension. 36 lbs!!!