Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Keystone VS Winterpark with a 6" bike

Hello. Im planning to do a 5 day vacation and bring my Specialized Enduro that is a 6.3" travel bike. What suppose to be more fun with this kind of bike Winterpark+Solvista or Keystone. Thanks.

Bernardo

mtbr member
    Personally I would chose Winterpark. I use my Remedy with a dropper post and have no problem with any of the trails.

Erik

I'm with stupid
    I rode my 2010 enduro all over winterpark and had a blast!!! Look up rainmaker trail and that says it all!!

DRT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Wp 1234

mtbr member
    Rode my 575 up at WP all july 4 weekend and had no Prob on anything
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    solvista will probably really push that bike though. wp is amazing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    Personally I would chose Winterpark. I use my Remedy with a dropper post and have no problem with any of the trails.

Erik
    Bump, I run WP with my Nomad 6.3" and a dropper post. All the guys (5 of the 7) in my group run 160mm bikes except two, a Yeti ASR-7 and a Mountain Cycle 9" DH rig. Sol Vista and Keystone have some more challenging features but you should be able to ride a lot of it depending on your skill level with a 6.3" bike.There are some lines at SV and Keystone that would be much better with a dedicated park bike. You can do everything at WP with a 6.3" bike. Its well designed and last year I rode most of WP on a 140mm/5.5" bike.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

Free your heel...
    Keystone is a bit burly for "only" 6 inches of travel. WP is the best choice for all mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Warrior Princess for sure. Nothing like buffed out singletrack and berms galore for your 6" steed. Heck you could do it all on a 4" bike or hardtail...save for maybe Trestle DH or mtn goat. There is also more pedaling at WP than the other resorts you mention IMO.

Save some money and hit up Cheeky Monks for some unique Belgium beer and great food.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

ride
    I rode Mountain Goat on a hardtail with a 60mm fork 14 years ago. Damn, I'm old.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    I rode Mountain Goat on a hardtail with a 60mm fork 14 years ago. Damn, I'm old.
    I know the feeling. I rode Keystone on my Explosif a dozen yrs back now if I take it to a resort everyone is like "you're gonna die riding that here!"
    Bikes=Sanity

Digital Toast
    My son and I actually enjoyed Keystone over Winterpark for shorter travel bikes. It should be said were not real huge DH guys. We like techy, twisty single track with a few jumps and misc. mixed in. It just felt like Keystone had a bigger selection for us. Winterpark was a blast thou. Don't get me wrong. I had to hold myself back from renting a DH bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You will be absolutely fine with a 6" or even less travel bikes at any of the parks. Anyone that says otherwise is either a DH racer and forgets that 6" used to be a huge amount of travel, or they just think their bike is the only thing that matters.

I rode all last year at KS and SV on a 5.5" travel...now I'm on 7". 7" is a bit more fun and fast, but 5.5 did not keep me from doing anything I am capable of. I'm just doing it a bit faster now.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Some dude took 2nd pro DH at Bootleg Canyon this year on an Enduro and BC is more advanced than anything at Keystone or WP. You'll have a blast at either resort! WP offers more easy to intermediate terrain if that's a concern.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Keystone-- real awesome single track perfect for a 6" bike. Honestly has some of the best trails at any of the parks for a 6" bike.

WP-- great smooth stuff. You can ride the whole park on 6" and have fun.

Sol Vista-- has more rocks that will jar you a bit on a few trails. Half their trails however would be super super fun on 6" and these guys who run the place are the best. . . people who ride bikes are treated like first class citizens here!

ride
    For a 6 and under bike, also, it's easier to go pedaling singletrack off the resort as well. Bernardo, if you're into also spending a little time riding not via chairlift, I like the variety at WP better. Good xc and AM stuff a short pedal away from the resort.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by SylentK View Post
    Heck you could do it all on a 4" bike or hardtail...save for maybe Trestle DH or mtn goat.
    Save some money and hit up Cheeky Monks for some unique Belgium beer and great food.
    Suspension is for pussies.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine View Post
    You will be absolutely fine with a 6" or even less travel bikes at any of the parks. Anyone that says otherwise is either a DH racer and forgets that 6" used to be a huge amount of travel, or they just think their bike is the only thing that matters
    Quoted for truth.

OP: you have 5 days and 3 resorts to ride, 4 if you count Vail. Your bike is more than enough for any/all of them. Go ride it.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I have rode wp/ks/sv on my 150mm Trek Remedy w/ Fox 36, it is fun and does ok but I feel bad for the beating it gets and would rather rent a dh bike than abuse my trail bike at a resort. My dh bike is just more fun to ride when going dh and the more progressive sus suits that style of riding a lot better. This is kind of a big deal because most trailbikes have a more linear sus and if you bottom it enough riding resorts you will break your frame. Also, if you don't have a chainguide on your trailbike you will be dropping your chain every run. You can get a stinger chainguide for cheap that will help, and if you run a fox air shock it's pretty easy and cheap to reduce the aircan volume, fox even sells a kit for this so you can make your shock more progressive. Or get a coil shock that has adjustable air pressure/volume so you can tune the shock to be more progressive as needed.

Living the High Life
    I've rode my 6" travel Meta6 at Keystone and had a lot of fun. I have more fun on my Demo 8 but that doesn't mean you shouldn't skip it entirely because you don't have a DH bike.

If you're here for that long ride them both and checkout Vail. Just look before you leap, WP features are all roll-able but some of Keystone's are not.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine View Post
    You will be absolutely fine with a 6" or even less travel bikes at any of the parks. Anyone that says otherwise is either a DH racer and forgets that 6" used to be a huge amount of travel, or they just think their bike is the only thing that matters.

I rode all last year at KS and SV on a 5.5" travel...now I'm on 7". 7" is a bit more fun and fast, but 5.5 did not keep me from doing anything I am capable of. I'm just doing it a bit faster now.
    It's not suspension travel as much as geometry. IMO, slack and low makes lift riding easier and more fun, regardless of which resort you're talking about. I rode all the local resorts back when my only bike was a 5" travel Titus Switchblade, and it was fun. I can ride pretty much any trail at any of the resorts (and more easily) on my 4" sx. But a real dh bike makes long days more fun.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    rode Kestone on a 5'' bike last year and did most of it and had a blast.

i dont do any real big drops or go crazy but it seemed to do alright.

btw. i will be up there again this year on the same bike but may rent a DH bike for a day.
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.7....a great everything bike...

Slopestyle Rider
    New section of rainmaker... getting close!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45 View Post
    New section of rainmaker... getting close!

Is that an MTB trail or motor cross? I'm sure I'll take heat for this, but I find wide trails with tables and berms void of rocks, roots and other natural terrain boring. Why do these trails need to be double track wide? Trestle DH is excellent IMO because it's single track with plenty of rocks and roots. Proper DH IMO. You can't call half of the trails at WP single track. And where's the rocks? Why dig up everything to create a wide smooth trail? How about another double black Trestle like trail. You know, single track.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Is that an MTB trail or motor cross? I'm sure I'll take heat for this, but I find wide trails with tables and berms void of rocks, roots and other natural terrain boring. Why do these trails need to be double track wide? Trestle DH is excellent IMO because it's single track with plenty of rocks and roots. Proper DH IMO. You can't call half of the trails at WP single track. And where's the rocks? Why dig up everything to create a wide smooth trail? How about another double black Trestle like trail. You know, single track.
    Quoted for truth
    Biker? I don't even know her.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast