mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Keystone/Vail/Winterpark

A few of us Texas flatlanders are planning a DH trip to CO from 7/15 - 7/22. We are staying in condo in Dillon. Plan to hit keystone, vail, and winterpark. From all the reading sounds like keystone is the most active in regards to new stunts and trails, vail is more wide open dh, and winterpark is more laid back with natural features, there is a trail go down it type scene.

Are there any other mountains we should consider? Any local shuttle trails that locations can be shared and we should seek out? Any advice, comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would classify us as intermediate/expert riding level.

Outcast
    another location, several hours drive from where you'll be staying, is silverton mtn. It is the home of the steepest, biggest stuff in the state. Not for beginers. check it out:
    http://www.silvertonmountain.com/summers.php

Outcast
    Be sure to watch the video, best to right ckick and "save target as";
    http://www.thebent.com/silvmtn/05ski_qthigh.mov

mtbr member
    If you are staying in Dillon and are only there for a week, I think it would be a safe bet that you'd be plenty busy riding those three resorts. They are the only ones within close proximity to Dillon that offer "real" DH runs. Any public/legal shuttle runs not on those mountains around there are better done on trail bikes than DH bikes.

Also, FYI, rumor has it that Keystone is putting in three new trails this summer. By the time you come out, I would assume they'd be riding.

mtbr member
    I agree with Thumper. Stay in Dillon and get ill at the resorts you mention. Vail is my personal fave with Old 9 (which for some reason is not on their online map) that trail will learn ya a thing er two. You just cross the service road at the bottom of Magic Forest a sweet, flowy and jump filled trail. If you have the vid Fundamentals, the section with Minaar teaching about the slightly hip'd double is on Magic Forest.

Winter Park is supposed to step it up this year too, but like the rest of the resorts they are at the mercy of the USFS in regards to allowing them to open any new trails.

Keystone is usually everyones favorite and for good reasons. Let's hope the rumors of new trails are true!

Not sure you're interested but there's a race (DH, 4x, SD, XC) at Snowmass the weekend of the 15th. I HIGHLY recommend hitting that up. Go to cyclecyndicate.com for more info.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    thanks for the replys. Silverton is a little too far I think to make on this trip. I saw the snowmass race, but we couldn't get there until saturday night and showing up to race with no practice on day one of the vacation isn't sounding like a good use of funds or smart way to start out the trip.

Is snowmass worth going to after the race weekend just to ride? I've ridden some xc there, but never dh.

Any links to some good keystone trail pics from last year?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by addomg
    thanks for the replys. Silverton is a little too far I think to make on this trip. I saw the snowmass race, but we couldn't get there until saturday night and showing up to race with no practice on day one of the vacation isn't sounding like a good use of funds or smart way to start out the trip.

Is snowmass worth going to after the race weekend just to ride? I've ridden some xc there, but never dh.

Any links to some good keystone trail pics from last year?
    Too bad about the race, it's always a blast! Anyway, I'm not sure about Snowmass. I've only ridden there for the race. I'd call them closer to your arrival date and ask what trails will be open. Or just post again and see if anyone knows.

As for pics, they never do the trail or the rider justice. Do a search, I bet you can find something. Or...get the movie "Synopsis". There's a section with Jared Graves tearing up Keystone. Or Earthed 2 has a section of Minaar ripping Vail on Old 9 and a couple other dudes railing the 94 Course. That outta get you salivating.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member
    No - IMO - Snowmass is not worth riding unless it is your local resort. Not enough there to really go out of your way to get there unless you are racing.

Thread with a few Keystone pics:
    Anybody have any good Keystone pics?

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by .thumper.
    No - IMO - Snowmass is not worth riding unless it is your local resort. Not enough there to really go out of your way to get there unless you are racing.

Thread with a few Keystone pics:
    Anybody have any good Keystone pics?
    Fuel Clothing huh? I actually know the guy who started Fuel, a good friend of mine roomed with him for a year or two during school in Steamboat - his name is Shane somethingorother. I guess they still keep in touch, amazing what a sizable trustfund can do for a person's career choices.

Looks like I may be able to sneak down to AF Thursday AM afterall - the OCC has bumped my IT exam back a week

To the original poster, you should have no problems filling an entire week without venturing
    further than 45 minutes (WInter Park) from your condo.
    Now with more vitriol!