mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Keystone Summer Plans

Hey everyone, we are back at work getting ready for Memorial Day and looking forward to the season. We have plowed a ton of snow off the bike trails and just need some warm weather to melt the rest away. We just thought that we would start a thread to let you know some of the plans for the summer.

First we are going to be running Summit Express during the day and then moving over to the River Run Gondola at some point in the afternoon depending on the schedule of the Outpost Lodge. Depending on demand we might have both lift for some of the afternoon.

Fridays and Saturdays we are going to be open until 7pm to evening riding.

Here is the full schedule:
    http://www.keystoneresort.com/activi...s-pricing.aspx

We are waiting on final Forest Service approval to build some new trails. We are planning a reroute for Girl Scout to eliminate the uphill, and a connecter from Jam Rock to the top of Money. We are also planning on revamping and adding features to the existing trails where we can.

The road will be open for biking. This is a privilege that we can not abuse. It will be a slow zone for connecting trails and for beginner bikers. It will be great for connecting different trails but it cannot become a high speed route. We will be keeping an eye on peopleís speed in the interest of keeping people safe and avoiding conflict between vehicles and bikes and between beginners and expert bikers.

We will be starting a Twitter account and Facebook page to keep people updated about new features, events, and other news. Stay tuned for the addresses.

Thatís all I can think of right now. We are looking forward to seeing everyone this summer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The twitter feed is @KeystoneMTN
    http://twitter.com/KeystoneMTB

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update on new trails and features. Appreciated!

Also: Congrats on the extended opening hours and days as well as the 3/5 day passes. You guys get more price competitive.

Now, if you'd also provide a discount on season passes for 2009 summer pass holders - I might be tempted to make Keystone my base for 2010. :-)
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keystonebikepark
    The road will be open for biking.
    does that mean it is cool to ride up the road?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The road has been open to uphill bikers in the past, this year we are also going to allow people to bike down the road. It doesn't apply to the people who read this board but we wanted to offer an option for families and beginners that is harder than the bike path, but isn't singletrack. For the advanced riders it will give people the option of connecting different trails on the mountain. For example getting from the mid-station to Helter and Skelter.

mtbr member
    The road will be open for biking. This is a privilege that we can not abuse. It will be a slow zone for connecting trails and for beginner bikers. It will be great for connecting different trails but it cannot become a high speed route. We will be keeping an eye on people’s speed in the interest of keeping people safe and avoiding conflict between vehicles and bikes and between beginners and expert bikers.
    Boy did I ever have a bad encounter with one of your crotchety lift maintenance crews in a truck driving up a closed road that was the high speed trail connector between jam rock/mosquito and Helter/Skelter. I was at full bore 30+ mph on the double track as I crested the hill and these 3 guys were in a truck right in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and the a**hole driver proceeded to yell to me to watch where I was going and that this was a road not a trail. I was so surprised then pissed that I yelled some profanity and that this was a DH bike trail not an open road.

The group of guys then proceeded to follow the group I was with and met us at the beginning of Skelter. The old man was ready to fight and was hanging back and one of his cohorts then came over and proceeded to give me grief for cursing but admitted that they were in the wrong and shouldn't have been on the high speed trail section.
    I let it go even though it was 6 or 7 large guys in full armor against 3 in carharts but I was tempted to go to the Keystone COO about the incident. Regardless of my profanity, The behavior of the staff was unacceptable and their actions could have led to bodily injury or worse. You could easily achieve speeds in excess of 40 in that area.
    I am sure someone in Keystone heard a different version of that story.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Wall Rides Need Work

The one single wall ride needs work, might as well be a "bonk" ride cause it's so vertical you can't stay on it. Put in a huge curved bank wall and at a better angle so it can be ridden better. My 2 cents.

Also, Money's good, but it's not an A-Line or Crank It Up (or Boulevard). The pitch of the trail isn't correct, you need something more mellow to put more substantial tables on. Plus with less steep of a pitch, brake bumps don't form as quickly and people can just let off the brakes and send it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hey everyone, we are back at work getting ready for Memorial Day and looking forward to the season. We have plowed a ton of snow off the bike trails and just need some warm weather to melt the rest away. We just thought that we would start a thread to let you know some of the plans for the summer.
    Can you confirm you'll be open for memorial day? I'm planning on driving out from Utah and need to start making plans now.

Also, can you tell me which trails will be open?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    We are going to be open for memorial days. Trails will be weather dependent but it seems like we will have most of the trails below the mid-station. I'll update here if it seems like there are going to be any changes. As it gets closer I'll post a full list of what is going to be open.

The map on the web site is outdated, but the mid-station serves everything below Boy Scouts

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    We are going to be open for memorial days. Trails will be weather dependent but it seems like we will have most of the trails below the mid-station. I'll update here if it seems like there are going to be any changes. As it gets closer I'll post a full list of what is going to be open.

The map on the web site is outdated, but the mid-station serves everything below Boy Scouts
    You guys still on schedule? Our high elevation here in UT got slammed with snow.

Everything below boy scouts doesn't seem like much. Looks like east forest, wild thing, even flow, helter skelter is all the black diamond stuff ?

Also, I might be bringing some XC oriented folks with me. Are the preferred uphill trails safe to ride for them? Or do they have to worry about DH traffic?
    Last edited by DRIDE; 05-24-2010 at 01:10 PM.

percocet pioneer.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIDE
    You guys still on schedule? Our high elevation here in UT got slammed with snow.

Everything below boy scouts doesn't seem like much. Looks like east forest, wild thing, even flow, helter skelter is all the black diamond stuff ?

Also, I might be bringing some XC oriented folks with me. Are the preferred uphill trails safe to ride for them? Or do they have to worry about DH traffic?
    I may be wrong about this but, to my knowledge at keystone the DH trails are for DH only, no uphill and no foot traffic.

Living the High Life
    ^^^ The greens are multi direction.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    For those of us that can't seem to wait and see, is there any update on what will actually be open this weekend?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Only trails that are going to be open are the trails below the first gondola drop off. Nothing else. It's going to be sloppy, hike-a-biked it tonight. Streams flowing down the trail in spots. There's still a fair amount of snowpack on the runs, so trails that cross the runs get the water running off the snowpack. It was 75 today, and the runoff in the rivers is amazing. Trails in Summit County above 11,000ft still have 3ft drifts across them on the north facing stuff that's in the trees. Road the Colorado trail up past Keystone Ranch yesterday and did a fair amount of post-holing in spots.

For reference, there is going to be a ski and snow board rail jam this weekend in A-51, so that is a reference of how much snow is still left higher up.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by MqtRider
    For reference, there is going to be a ski and snow board rail jam this weekend in A-51, so that is a reference of how much snow is still left higher up.
    2 for 1 !
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    awesome, thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Anyone make it up this weekend?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Made it up there today conditions were good at mid mountain a little dry but got in a lot of the good double blacks throughout the day. Wasn't too crowded lift lines moved pretty good.