Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

We the people ... Keystone closed Jaws

Run into Greg and asked him when Jaws would be repaired and put back into action. In short the answer was: Jaws is closed for the 2008 season. Greg had some additional comments on Jaws that would be censored here anyway. So I dare to predict Jaws is a feature of the past.

I know a large community of riders has been cheated out of an essential aspect of riding Keystone. My heart is with you. Anybody who wants to organize a demonstration - just let me know.

A picture of better times (credit to Kristian).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Thunder Chunky
    What happend to it? I havent been up there in a few weeks...
    Purple Popcorn

i can't type the letter s
    Bummer, glad I got to hit it before it was closed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yeah,i noticed they took half the take-off away. Wondered what was up with that. Is it too much of a liability or somethin?

percocet pioneer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinkyfan
    Yeah,i noticed they took half the take-off away. Wondered what was up with that. Is it too much of a liability or somethin?
    dunno if you read the document you have to sign at the bottom before your lift but there's no liability involved at all, if there was, there would be no keystone.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by $ally Hu$tle
    dunno if you read the document you have to sign at the bottom before your lift but there's no liability involved at all, if there was, there would be no keystone.
    Slimey attorneys tear through those things all the time.. Personal responsibility no longer legally exists in the good ole' USA. About the only way you can kill yourself without having someone to sue anymore is to join the military.

http://www.skisafety.com/cases.php

Your retarded
    Another Klaus on Jaws pic... although this angle makes it look petite.

A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Living the High Life
    I heard its because its been so dry that the landing is too sketchy, sandy and loose. So they may open it up if it rains.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

percocet pioneer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    I heard its because its been so dry that the landing is too sketchy, sandy and loose. So they may open it up if it rains.
    wouldn't it make sense to close the other drops that use the same landing as jaws? I can't be the only person to have eaten sh!t on the smallest drop there...

pdh
    mtbr member
    I noticed on Sun, that the joist on the east side has a large split in it.
    I JUST WANT A BICYCLE!!!!! " Why-why are you yelling at me?"
    WHATEVER, MAKE ME A BICYCLE CLOWN!!!!!!!!!

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by $ally Hu$tle
    wouldn't it make sense to close the other drops that use the same landing as jaws? I can't be the only person to have eaten sh!t on the smallest drop there...
    Yeah it might, but you'll also be going a lot faster off a higher drop. That's just what the lift dude told me I think. So we're basing this on my memory based on my attention to detail at that moment combined with lift worker knowledge. Take it as you will.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Motion activated
    I heard that Keystone is following JeffCo's lead and making their trails ADA compliant.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

percocet pioneer.
    Yeah it might, but you'll also be going a lot faster off a higher drop. That's just what the lift dude told me I think. So we're basing this on my memory based on my attention to detail at that moment combined with lift worker knowledge. Take it as you will.
    just saying that the combined landing for those drops is pretty sketchy in my opinion. I dunno it might have to do with the amount of traffic that goes off each drop also..

mtbr member
    Send a message to Keystone and received an official reply:

Jaws is closed because the landing is not what it used to be. The Keystone crew considers the landing to be too dangerous now. They want to avoid anybody getting hurt and jeopardizing the success of the bike park.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I was two for three in the drop zone this weekend. My last drop ended in a Pete Rose into the boulders at bottom left.........
    I love my armor,but i definitely wasn't unscathed.

Edit: Not my picture,but i bodyslammed those boulders nonetheless....

mtbr member
    So it is you who ruins the trani?!

Kidding Hope you did not get badly hurt.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    Send a message to Keystone and received an official reply:

Jaws is closed because the landing is not what it used to be. The Keystone crew considers the landing to be too dangerous now. They want to avoid anybody getting hurt and jeopardizing the success of the bike park.
    I suppose suggesting they fix the landing would be moot, but I'll mention it anyway.

Or they don't want those folks on department store bikes wondering off of it. Has anyone noticed the increased number of those folks at Keystone this year? Its great they're spending money, I know they'll spend more than me and keep Keystone happy, but what the fudge are they doing on East Forest on a Trek 4500 hardtail?

I have no problems waiting for them on the greens, that's what those trails are there for and in my opinion they have the right of way on those trails. But the person who could ride East Forest on a $300 hard tail would most likely be into the sport enough to own a different bike that is much more capable and fun enabling.
    Last edited by Ithnu; 07-22-2008 at 10:24 AM.

mtbr member
    So wait, now I'm confused. Which one is Jaws? I assumed it was the biggest one.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by SylentK
    So wait, now I'm confused. Which one is Jaws? I assumed it was the biggest one.
    It was - I think the pic Nickle posted is actually of the middle one (or it was just taken at a strange angle).

Jaws was cool and all, but after the novelty wore off it was quickly overshadowed by the trails on the other side of the hill, IMO.
    Now with more vitriol!

Slopestyle Rider
    The landing for that drop is sketchy at best especially with the trail turning to the left (I believe) without much runout... I did Jaws last year with only a front brake, and, well, it was interesting to say the least... I pulled it, but I guess I didn't make the left turn on the trail and was doing mach-looney for about 100 yards until I was able to reign her in. Damn I wish I had video of that!

i can't type the letter s
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    The landing for that drop is sketchy at best especially with the trail turning to the left (I believe) without much runout... I did Jaws last year with only a front brake, and, well, it was interesting to say the least... I pulled it, but I guess I didn't make the left turn on the trail and was doing mach-looney for about 100 yards until I was able to reign her in. Damn I wish I had video of that!
    Kinda like this??

Slopestyle Rider
    See those trees to the left? I almost hit one... Remember I only had a front brake

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    See those trees to the left? I almost hit one... Remember I only had a front brake
    You are a lunatic.

Fast, not that fast
    ..Has anyone noticed the increased number of those folks at Keystone this year? Its great they're spending money, I know they'll spend more than me and keep Keystone happy, but what the fudge are they doing on East Forest on a Trek 4500 hardtail?

I have no problems waiting for them on the greens, that's what those trails are there for and in my opinion they have the right of way on those trails. But the person who could ride East Forest on a $300 hard tail would most likely be into the sport enough to own a different bike that is much more capable and fun enabling.

Oh ya, if felt like they were everywhere saturday! There would be large groups railin down Milky Way only to find some guys with seatposts up their ass standing at the lip of the hits!? I think they're kinda like those gaper skiers that get a hard-on doin black diamonds. We ran into all sorts of people walking through the east forest too.

Cool pics droppin jaws Klaus! It's crazy how that video doesn't even really do it justice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast