Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Keystone Climax Roll Call

2K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  COmtbiker12 
#1 ·
Who's going to partake in the goodness of the final round of the Mountain States Cup this weekend? With a good amount of the mountain open for riding to the public, it seems to be a good weekend to spectate and ride and have a good time in general even if you are not competing.

Who's racing? Who's attending as a spectator? What event(s)? etc, etc.

- Free Beginner Super-D Clinic on Friday
- Dual SlalomRace and Super-D Race Saturday
- XC Race and Shimano Kids Race Sunday
- Downhill Race Monday

More information here: http://www.cyclecyndicate.com/content/view/28/28/

I'm stoked to ride the sick lookin' Dual Slalom course that Cawley and Sutton are building! And of course the brutally long DH course is gonna be such a sweet way to end out the season!

#2 ·
for the noobs amoungst us to the downhill side of mountain biking - what tips do you have for spectating?

It seems that watching up near cowboy up in the trees above the rock garden and the open area above the rock garden would be fun. The little jumps in the trees and that first big rock just before you blast across to the rocks would be great to see those that can handle themselves up there.

Personally, I was going to do Vail fri/sat and try to catch some of the fun on Monday at Keystone.

#3 ·
I'll be there - but the way things are going lately, I'll be lucky if I can pull myself away from the new trails long enough to do my run on Sunday ;)

I'm looking forward to it...

And by the way - what's this talk of "closing out the season"? I've been looking forward to the Final Descent since the Chili Challenge, it was too much fun to not go back. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
Godzilla said:
I'll be there - but the way things are going lately, I'll be lucky if I can pull myself away from the new trails long enough to do my run on Sunday ;)

I'm looking forward to it...

And by the way - what's this talk of "closing out the season"? I've been looking forward to the Final Descent since the Chili Challenge, it was too much fun to not go back. :thumbsup:
That's true - this isn't the last big race of the season. Unfortunately for me, I can't make the Final Descent again this year. :mad: I've got a family thing out of town.

By the way, your race run will be on Monday - not Sunday. ;)

#5 ·
zzsean said:
for the noobs amoungst us to the downhill side of mountain biking - what tips do you have for spectating?

It seems that watching up near cowboy up in the trees above the rock garden and the open area above the rock garden would be fun. The little jumps in the trees and that first big rock just before you blast across to the rocks would be great to see those that can handle themselves up there.

Personally, I was going to do Vail fri/sat and try to catch some of the fun on Monday at Keystone.
I don't know too much to tell you about spectating other than this: Expert racers will most likely start around 12:30 or so with the Pros finishing up somewhere around 2:30-3pm. You should be able to find a start-time list at the base area somewhere. That may help you with timing where you would like to be to watch the more experienced racers.

#6 ·
Fiinally, after 2 years in a row crashing out before Keystone, I'm there. Rode Keystone for thke first time last Monday, and looking at the trail, and race description I am glad I did. Turned out that Wildthing is my favorite part of the mountain. Din't clean it till the last 2 runs of the day. What a deal.

#11 ·
For those who have raced at Keystone before:
How is the riding going to be if you are not racing? I was planning on riding Keystone this Saturday, but then I heard about the races. Do they pretty much close the mountain, or just a trail or two for a couple hours? Is it crazy with people etc?

Should I just head to Vail this Saturday?

#14 ·
Saturday trail closures

I looked at the Keystone website here:
http://keystone.snow.com/info/mtnbiketrails.asp

And it seems to me that I can get in downhill practice (with the exception of the very lower part of the course) on Saturday. Does anyone know if this is the case?

I'd really rather practice Saturday, and use Sunday for rest and repair. Maybe even do the SuperD Saturday. Which brings me to the next question. I have a Giant AC1, and a Giant Faith. The Faith is definitely the DH choice, but for the SuperD would the AC1 be better? I guess the real question is whether or not there is climbing on the SuperD course? I read the roll call of trails for the SuperD, but I am not familiar enough with the trails to visualize the course.

#15 ·
honkinunit said:
I looked at the Keystone website here:
http://keystone.snow.com/info/mtnbiketrails.asp

And it seems to me that I can get in downhill practice (with the exception of the very lower part of the course) on Saturday. Does anyone know if this is the case?

I'd really rather practice Saturday, and use Sunday for rest and repair. Maybe even do the SuperD Saturday. Which brings me to the next question. I have a Giant AC1, and a Giant Faith. The Faith is definitely the DH choice, but for the SuperD would the AC1 be better? I guess the real question is whether or not there is climbing on the SuperD course? I read the roll call of trails for the SuperD, but I am not familiar enough with the trails to visualize the course.
It would be a good idea to get some practice runs on Sunday...with all racers going down the same course things are gonna change and brake bumps are gonna grow in funny spots.
Definitely ride the AC for the stupid D.

#18 ·
not for this guy :nono: wish I could, but rode a bike the other day and when pulling on the bars there is still a pretty good pain shooting in my shoulder. Foot and collar bone feel good, but if fall and or highspeed dab with the left foot (biggest fear especially cause I'd wear flats), I'd be out at work again and would prob get tossed out the door. Good luck to you all :thumbsup:

#19 ·
Dual slalom is in the can. Fun course, with some big jumps, some tricky rhythm, good berms and really loose flat corners that won/ lost the race for a lot of riders. Lots of fun, but a looong day in the sun. Wish there was some way to speed things up in DS.
Kozos got 2 firsts- 15-18 beginner (Keenan) and 18 and under sport (Broc). 2 pro xc Maverik sponsored guys infiltrated 30+ expert, and upset the normal order of my class pretty good, taking 2nd and 3rd.
Bobby Allen had a mostly easy day in 20-29 ex, with no Rally Blue and Erick Erikson getting knocked out early.
I advanced one round then met up with the faster of the 2 Maverik riders. The other one knocked Thumper out in a really close matchup.

#24 ·
SylentK said:
What? You didn't have quite the snap of a Pro XC mtn bike racer? Man you're losing it! :rolleyes:
Ha ha ha... funny. :D

Those Maverick guys are way cool, and a little known fact about them is they come from a BMX background WAY back in the day, and are regulars at the Fix jumps and pump track. Ariel has some of the sickest bike handling skills I've seen, and they both knew a little more about cornering on off-camber, rutted, loose, and rocky corners than a lot of people. :thumbsup:

Beyond any of that drama, the DS track was way rad - and difficult. A little something for everyone, I must say. Except for me, I had nothing for that track. I rode like a little girl, kicking and screaming the whole way. :madman:

#25 ·
Full Trucker said:
Ha ha ha... funny. :D

Those Maverick guys are way cool, and a little known fact about them is they come from a BMX background WAY back in the day, and are regulars at the Fix jumps and pump track. Ariel has some of the sickest bike handling skills I've seen, and they both knew a little more about cornering on off-camber, rutted, loose, and rocky corners than a lot of people. :thumbsup:

Beyond any of that drama, the DS track was way rad - and difficult. A little something for everyone, I must say. Except for me, I had nothing for that track. I rode like a little girl, kicking and screaming the whole way. :madman:
The DS was a blast. I beat Mike West (who I understand is the reigning National Pro Super-D champion) in the first run of the DS, but then he got me in the second run of the quarter finals. Nice guy. Really fast. The course was super-duper fun!

I got in two really great practice runs today on the DH course. It's on!!! Can't wait for tomorrow afternoon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.