Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dickhouse
    Dec 2010

Kenosha Pass - Not Jumping to Conclusions but...

It was dry at 10,000ft and looked to be dry up to 11k or maybe even more. It's hard to tell from just driving by, but with this weeks warm weather, will we be seeing the first Kenosha Pass/CT riding of the year?? Anyone been up there further to check it out? Maybe I'll have to next week... any takers??

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    It's almost all S Facing to Jeff Creek. I'd wager it's rideable from Ken -> Jefferson Creek. I'd also wager you'll run into snow *immediately* after Jeff Creek.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Kenosha

Quote Originally Posted by dickt3030 View Post
    It was dry at 10,000ft and looked to be dry up to 11k or maybe even more. It's hard to tell from just driving by, but with this weeks warm weather, will we be seeing the first Kenosha Pass/CT riding of the year?? Anyone been up there further to check it out? Maybe I'll have to next week... any takers??
    I'd consider going but I'm not fast. Let me know what your plans are.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

mtbr member

Kenosha Pass - Not Jumping to Conclusions but...

I would give it a couple of more weeks. It might be getting dryer but it will be a mud pit as you get higher in altitude. Why rut it out? It will be there in mid June.

Erik

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    I would give it a couple of more weeks. It might be getting dryer but it will be a mud pit as you get higher in altitude. Why rut it out? It will be there in mid June.

Erik
    +1.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

Motion activated
    I ride the OHV trails there that cross the Colorado trail prior to Jefferson creek. Everything looked dry from what I could see.

Still plenty of snow up high, I didn't get too far up Georgia Pass Rd.

The aspen are starting to get some foliage.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    let see if there is 3 to 6 feet of snow at and above tree line right now, with consistent coverage, the trees haven't even considered leafing yet, run off and snow melt just started last wed. and ITS SNOWING RIGHT NOW! yeah!

My guess is you'll have a ton of fun hiking through the snow, riding in mud, an all around on the bike off the bike experience. Bring a light bike because it'll get heavy after carrying it for a couple miles. Sure happened to me this weekend, but then again I didn't have to deal with any other trail users.

Anything above tree line will not be ridable until july 4th or after. Unless your a race promoter who uses a machinery to clear trails in non motorized areas were all pretty much out of luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper roo View Post
    let see if there is 3 to 6 feet of snow at and above tree line right now, with consistent coverage, the trees haven't even considered leafing yet, run off and snow melt just started last wed. and ITS SNOWING RIGHT NOW! yeah!

My guess is you'll have a ton of fun hiking through the snow, riding in mud, an all around on the bike off the bike experience. Bring a light bike because it'll get heavy after carrying it for a couple miles. Sure happened to me this weekend, but then again I didn't have to deal with any other trail users.

Anything above tree line will not be ridable until july 4th or after. Unless your a race promoter who uses a machinery to clear trails in non motorized areas were all pretty much out of luck.
    go back to bed, grouch.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

I thought you were moving Rip.

Motion activated
    the trees haven't even considered leafing yet
    I'm at 10K ft and a bit south of KP and the aspen around here are leafing.

Some of the ones on my property started a few weeks back, but were frost bitten.

Motion activated
    Anyone one know if they clear the top of Georgia Pass Rd? What about South Swan Fork Rd (top of Georgia Pass down to Breck), when is that usually good to go?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    I'm at 10K ft and a bit south of KP and the aspen around here are leafing.
    I'm looking out at trees that look like their dead, no buds

even got to pass a snow plow on the highway today, such a treat seeing as how it's june

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    I thought you were moving Rip.
    going to gypsum tomorrow to look at a place

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Anyone one know if they clear the top of Georgia Pass Rd? What about South Swan Fork Rd (top of Georgia Pass down to Breck), when is that usually good to go?
    Both those roads melt out according to natures schedule past the last homes.

Motion activated
    Got out on the bike this afternoon. Made it pretty far up (2/3 maybe) Georgia Pass road before I hit deep snow, which was promising. What a difference a week makes.

It was snowing on and off, but not enough to accumulate.

Please excuse the moto... two wheels, one love right?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kenosha Pass - Not Jumping to Conclusions but...-georgia-pass-large-.jpg  

Kenosha Pass - Not Jumping to Conclusions but...-georgia-pass-ii-large-.jpg  

Team Velveeta™
    ... got to pass a snow plow on the highway today, such a treat seeing as how it's june
    Wow, it's already June where you are? You're really ahead of your time.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Got out on the bike this afternoon. Made it pretty far up (2/3 maybe) Georgia Pass road before I hit deep snow, which was promising. What a difference a week makes.
    The road gets a lot more sun than the CT does, and the other side of the pass is the more North aspect side so it takes a lot longer to melt out. I'm not sure about other parts of the state, but Summit County seems to be trapped in it's own little pocket of winter this spring. There's still a lot of snow here.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    The road gets a lot more sun than the CT does, and the other side of the pass is the more North aspect side so it takes a lot longer to melt out. I'm not sure about other parts of the state, but Summit County seems to be trapped in it's own little pocket of winter this spring. There's still a lot of snow here.
    Yep, no argument there. Bacon man had the right answer in post #2.

Fortunately, being on the south side of KP there's enough dry trails to keep me occupied.

We had snow on the deck last night, and it's been snowing on and off all morning (no accumulation). Winter just doesn't want to let go. Guess we need the moisture.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    rode in the snow last night, it was awesome, 37 when I left the house, bundled up like it was february

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Wow, it's already June where you are? You're really ahead of your time.
    I'm always behind, so I like to look forward a few days, evens things out. Right now I'm dealing with late april.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Is Kenosha OK from 285 to Georgia Pass, or still too much snow up high?

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    Been seeing some GPS logs where people made it to Jefferson and turned around...betting due to snow/ mud...been thinking about a Kenosha East of 285 pilgrimage here soon.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    Probably good till about 10,500' or so. Much above that I'd guess it's still pretty snowy/wet. It's still too early for anything near or above treeline. Most of that stuff, even S aspect doesn't dry out till late June/early July at the earliest.

We've had our first really warm beautiful days and the creek and rivers have really come up so it's melting fast. Lower and mid elevation trails are opening up but it's still going to be a week or three before the high alpine opens.

I work in .001 tolerances

Re: Kenosha Pass - Not Jumping to Conclusions but...

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    been thinking about a Kenosha East of 285 pilgrimage here soon.
    Yes, please :thumbup:

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Been seeing some GPS logs where people made it to Jefferson and turned around...betting due to snow/ mud...been thinking about a Kenosha East of 285 pilgrimage here soon.
    If you end up doing this on a weekend, I'd love to come along. Second season riding, and I've decided I need to do conquering of some sort a few weeks ago. My decision is to conquer all of the CO Trail in 2 years time, segment by segment, but I'm new to CO as of last May, and pretty much bike on my own. Hoping mtbr forums come into use with finding people to ride/shuttle with after I complete the easy sections I can out n' back on my own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast