Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Kenosha to Georgia Pass Conditions

Anybody got any beta? Thanks.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    My friend just rode it and made it to 11,400ft .... only 1 mile short of Georgia Pass .... give it 2-3 more weeks for the snow to fully melt.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Not too sure about georgia pass- but kenosha east was dry and dusty! but ohh so good!
    Name:  kenosha from afar.JPG
Views: 1407
Size:  19.3 KB

and this was taken two years ago around the 4th of july and that year did not see as much snow as this year! and trust me there was ALOT of this and tons of downed trees!
    Spikefest 021.JPG

so basically my info is not very helpful - but looking towards Mt. Guyot sure is alot of that white left! on the flipside we were near 11,000' the other direction and bone dry.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Stiff yet compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    Not too sure about georgia pass- but kenosha east was dry and dusty! but ohh so good!
    I did Long gulch to lost park on Friday. Sweetness.

mtbr member

The last...

half mile is useless, though entertaining. I was ahead of a group and I pushed the bike through snowfields at the top, some of the drifts around the trail are 10 feet, but the trail should be clear within the week if warmer weather abides...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kenosha to Georgia Pass Conditions-p1011185.jpg  

Kenosha to Georgia Pass Conditions-p1011183.jpg  

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider View Post
    I did Long gulch to lost park on Friday. Sweetness.
    Yah we rode kenosha east to Rock Creek- How is that section of Brookside - Mc Curdy- was looking at tying in some roads to make it longer but that will be another day.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Stiff yet compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    Yah we rode kenosha east to Rock Creek- How is that section of Brookside - Mc Curdy- was looking at tying in some roads to make it longer but that will be another day.
    It's a very nice piece of trail. Some winds through the trees and some skirts the edge of a marsh filled valley. Fairly easy terrain for that area and sparsely used.
    Long gulch to Lost park was 20 miles round trip.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Even it the drifts are gone it's going to be very wet up there probably till at least mid July. Water is just pouring out of the high country right now, literally oozing out of the ground. You can get a good idea of trail conditions in the Summit area by the Summit Fat Tire Society FB page.

mtbr member
    On July 3rd, I made it to 11,400 ft, just about 1 mile short of Georgia Pass before hitting the vast snowfield that is over 6 feet deep in places. It is still worth the ride though, you'll make it just to the treeline before having to turn around, it will still be a couple of weeks before things are all clear.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Was out there yesterday as well. Great ride, but bring your bug spray, Mosquitos were thick.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill- View Post
    Was out there yesterday as well. Great ride, but bring your bug spray, Mosquitos were thick.
    Yup, exactly, I hit the back of my legs and arms with just a little Backwoods Off and all was well. My friends that opted out where gettin' nibbled on!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    So, I assume Jefferson is out?

mtbr member
    Upper Jefferson was totally packed when I rode a week ago Sunday. Not sure what it's like coming from the bottom. Good luck when you head up!

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzattack View Post
    On July 3rd, I made it to 11,400 ft, just about 1 mile short of Georgia Pass before hitting the vast snowfield that is over 6 feet deep in places. It is still worth the ride though, you'll make it just to the treeline before having to turn around, it will still be a couple of weeks before things are all clear.

What kinda RT distance did you end up with on this ride?

C

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    wow.. i'm planning on riding this in a few weeks. hope it's clear.

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    Leaving Kansas City July 27th to head there. Hope all is clear!! Hoping to ride Kenosha to Breck.

mtbr member
    You should be fine by the end of July. Especially with the warm rain we have been getting....

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Rode a variation of Kenosha to Breck to Como yesterday. A few snow drifts to climb over but nothing too bad.

P1020806

P1020787

P1020785

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubKC View Post
    Leaving Kansas City July 27th to head there. Hope all is clear!! Hoping to ride Kenosha to Breck.
    I wouldn't even worry about the snow, have you ever tried to ride at 11,500' +

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    The amount of snow up there in mid-July is awesome!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis C View Post
    What kinda RT distance did you end up with on this ride?

C
    Somewhere around 21 miles.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am riding from kenosha to breck for the first time on Sat. Given its the Colorado Trail, is it a safe assumption to say it is well marked or is a map absolutely necessary? If a map is necessary, is there one online I can download or do I have to buy the two maps from REI to cover the whole trail we plan to ride? I am pretty cheap. I appreciate the heads-up.

mtbr member
    Maps are helpful and make a great souvenir, might be a nice thing to have with you, never know when you might need a plan B or C, etc. Its summer time and its hot so cheap out on beer instead.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzattack View Post
    Maps are helpful and make a great souvenir, might be a nice thing to have with you, never know when you might need a plan B or C, etc. Its summer time and its hot so cheap out on beer instead.

This is UNACCEPTABLE.

At the very least print out a map of the section... but for GOD'S SAKE, don't cheap out on the beer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    I am riding from kenosha to breck for the first time on Sat. Given its the Colorado Trail, is it a safe assumption to say it is well marked or is a map absolutely necessary? If a map is necessary, is there one online I can download or do I have to buy the two maps from REI to cover the whole trail we plan to ride? I am pretty cheap. I appreciate the heads-up.
    google search acme mapper. I can't post the url as I don't have enough posts yet (my first post, glad to be here).

Search for "Kenosha Pass, CO" on the bottom right. Zoom in. Select "Topo" on the upper right menu. Print to your heart's content for free! Stick it in a ziplock bag and you got yourself a waterproof map. Savings of $18 (if you were to buy 2 trails illustrated maps...). No need to skimp on beer. That would be tragic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast